VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: The Feminist Thought Police Strike Again

Author:
Diogenes
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:20:35 11/14/16 Mon
In reply to: Calvin 's message, "And now CU puts entire season on hold" on 16:47:50 11/14/16 Mon

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Think of it this way...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:53:51 11/15/16 Tue

I'd imagine that the schools that would have been fine with calling women c--ts and minorities comparable disparaging terms are punishing students for political speech.

The Ivies have it right.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: You have no right to say privately what you have a constitutional right to say publicly?

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:08:25 11/15/16 Tue

Let them speak and let them wrestle.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You have no right to say privately what you have a constitutional right to say publicly?

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:50 11/15/16 Tue

They have spoken. Their speech was found to be abhorrent and not representative of Columbia's values. In addition, due to their association with the university and the public nature of their statement, it has been deemed that their actions have caused harm to Columbia's reputation. Thus, they have been disciplined by their private university, which in no way violates any sort of constitutional amendment or right.

Stop defending these awful remarks. You have no legal or ethical leg to stand on.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Don't forget...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:58:32 11/15/16 Tue

Dio still hasn't answered Ivy Voyeur's question above in this thread.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You have no right to say privately what you have a constitutional right to say publicly?

Author:
Jefferson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:12:05 11/15/16 Tue

It has been explained several times that they do not have the constitutional rights you seem to think they do.

Either post your reasoning for thinking they do have such rights, or let this go.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: what gives ?

Author:
Lion Rooter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:47 11/15/16 Tue

Ok - they wrote some pretty bad stuff here. This is not what I would expect from an Ivy athlete, or any decent college's team. But isn't there an expectation of guilty or not guilty? Why is the whole team suffering?

Wrestlers are an intense bunch, the confidence that gives you the ability to compete in a tough rugged sport might also lead to some headstrong and un PC thoughts.

Also consider BWOG, this is a group with a definite anti-athletics stance - 2-3 years ago they said they would not comment on, or cover football at all. I wonder exactly how it played out that someone took personal messages and ran to BWOG with them. Is there not a distinct anti-athletics pervading all Ivies ? I am sure they were all to happy to try to bring down a team on campus. Bear in mind our beloved campus is the place where a certain lady carried a mattress around campus to make her point.

I'm sorry but while I find their language offensive, I find this rush to judgement a bit ridiculous.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: As I said earlier...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:20 11/15/16 Tue

As I've said, the Ivies appear fine with political speech. True, some political speech is in better taste than others. But by and large, the Ivy schools aren't going to get all riled up about "FDT" or carrying a mattress around campus.

All that being said, what's political about what those guys and the Harvard guys wrote? What's the redeeming social value in calling women c--nts or minorities comparable derogatory terms?

To those who suggest that the women's teams do the same thing--maybe that's correct, maybe it isn't. And until one such women's team gets caught doing it, we can't know whether the reaction will be the same or not.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: New York Constitution, Section 8

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:36:38 11/15/16 Tue

"Every citizen may freely speak, write or publish his or her sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right;"

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New York Constitution, Section 8

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:47:32 11/15/16 Tue

So I can shout "fire" in a crowded theater in NY?

Threaten the president?

Defame someone with malice?

Fascinating...

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New York Constitution, Section 8

Author:
Acob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:34:45 11/15/16 Tue

Does or does not this private institution have the right to regulate its own affairs involving its students in house behavior?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New York Constitution, Section 8

Author:
Lion Rooter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:59 11/15/16 Tue

in advertising the standard hiring agreement says " You can be fired for any or no reason"

I am not disputing that the school has the right to censure and punish the team. I am suggesting that the current political climate on the average campus makes it appear that the school wants to bring on Draconian punishments - for a case that is not even settled yet !

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: and further

Author:
Lion Rooter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:29 11/15/16 Tue

This "BWOG" outfit is filled with hypocrisy and have a double standard. I used to enjoy reading it until I realized that

a) the staff and readers love to put in comments - nasty, sexist, and derogatory - about anyone who attends Barnard

b) also fair game to insult and I quote "creepy old" GS students.

c) so it follows that they love to see a sports team brought down or "pinned" as you may say

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New York Constitution, Section 8

Author:
Diogenes (Acob)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:36 11/15/16 Tue

Not regarding private speech. Nor public speech except under very limited circumstances not here present.

Columbia is licensed and regulated by the State of New York. The Federal government heavily regulates Columbia and yearly provides Columbia, along with New York State, with hundreds of millions of dollars in grants, research funds, scholarships, tax breaks etc. The idea that Columbia is some sort of private "free actor" is not true--it is controlled, regulated, funded and directed in substantial part by The U.S. and New York governments (including the City of New York).

Are hidden microphones in locker rooms and dorms next?

By the way, men have been complaining about women, and women about men, for thousands of years.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: New York lawyers, I know you're out there

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:36:38 11/15/16 Tue

If every citizen is "responsible for the abuse of that right," does that mean the university can impose penalties for abuse?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: all I know is

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:40:38 11/15/16 Tue

until I had a daughter I probably acted the same way, good thing my son's first child was a daughter as well. Totally changes your perspective

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: all I know is

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:12 11/15/16 Tue

How long until she's at Trump dating age?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Dumb move by the wrestlers to begin with

Author:
Harvard Crimson Rule!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:59 11/15/16 Tue

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.