VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Dartmouth's enigmatic season

Author:
Big green supporter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:45:26 11/15/16 Tue

I posted this in another thread, but I find this interesting statistically.

One of the many examples of this enigmatic season for the green!
Here is some food for thought:
Dartmouth is 10 points from a 7-2 record and being in the mix for the title this weekend.
They are also 6 points from being 2 and 7!
Statistically, one could argue that Dartmouth might have the best offense in the league.
Here are the conference and FCS national rankings respectively by category.
Passing offense 1 and 17 (2nd in conference not even close)
Total offense. 1 and 31
1st downs. 2 and 66
Sacks allowed. 1 and 25
Completion %. 5 and 43

But also,
PPG. 7 and 100
Red Zone %. 7 and 80
Time of possession. 8 and 105
Off. Interceptions. 5 and 99

Defense
YPG allowed. 4th in league
PPG allowed. 4th
Sacks 5th

This offense had the makings of a powerhouse. A drop here, fumble there, and too many mistakes and the current record is the result. The underlying downfall is probably inexperience just like many of us thought coming into the season.
It will be interesting to see if some of that offensive talent gets recognized at the end of the season honors.

Replies:
[> Subject: Preseason predictions

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:07:26 11/16/16 Wed

Several preseason predictors thought Dartmouth would not be competitive because we lost too many starters and slated us at the bottom. I insisted that we were replacing the departing seniors with good talent.

We were both right. This team is talented and has been in every game (except Penn), but lacks the experience to win games. We can't just give up points the way we have in several games.

Really frustrating for the Dartmouth faithful. Hopefully we can finish strong on Saturday and work hard for the 2017 season.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Preseason predictions

Author:
Money
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:29 11/16/16 Wed

Curious why a team does well moving the ball between the 20s but inside that yardage is inept? It's called 'The Offensive Coordinator' or sometimes 'The Playbook'. Success in that area requires selecting plays and personnel specific to expecting a very heightened and aggressive defensive response. The same plays that got you to the 20 are not particularly the ones that cross the goal line...being timid and predictable is inviting failure. The Red Zone all about attitude and desire, where coaches prove their worth and playmakers show their talents. I believe D has the playmakers, but question the imagination and courage of the Playbook.

[> [> [> Subject: Well...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:15:55 11/16/16 Wed

Are there specific plays to be run that make it less likely for linemen to commit holding penalties or for receivers to drop passes in the end zone?

If so, get them to Coach Clark ASAP.

[> Subject: Re: Dartmouth's enigmatic season

Author:
Amoney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:58 11/17/16 Thu

I'll consider that a rhetorical question and give GG the benefit of having a bit more depth of football knowledge than implied. The OCs in D1 making seven figure salaries know how to do this, not likely to see a flag football coach game scheming with the same techniques.

[> [> Subject: Ok, I'll bite

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:08:48 11/17/16 Thu

Opening drive. Dartmouth moving the ball with ease. Miles Smith has several carries for big gains.

First and 10 on the Brown 11. Clark calls for a Smith run up the middle. He's stopped for a short gain--the first time Brown has stopped him for less than five yards. Alas, the Dartmouth guard was caught holding on the play. Now it's first and 20. Dartmouth can't get to the end zone and a short field goal was blocked.

What *should* have Clark called on that first-and-10 on the Brown eleven yard line play? What would those seven-figure OCs in D1 have called?

[> [> [> Subject: "Git There Fustest With The Mostest"

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:43:44 11/17/16 Thu

Said a great cavalry general when asked the key to victory.

Or, as Bob Blackman used to say with tongue in cheek: "Offense is easy, you just knock everybody down and run the ball into the end zone."

[> [> [> [> Subject: Agreed

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:26:35 11/17/16 Thu

Sounds like Blackman favored execution over strategy.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agreed

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:24:04 11/17/16 Thu

He was a master strategist and a stickler for execution. Whether it was offense or defense, you had to know your assignment and execute it exactly as it was drawn up. If you failed to do those things, or were unable to do those things, you did not play.

Blackman did not tolerate players with a propensity for fumbling, dirty play or holding. There were some excellent players who rode a lot of pine because of dirty play, fumbling or holding. You played the game right or you sat.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agreed

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:46:39 11/17/16 Thu

Nice anecdote, but I don't think that having a distaste for fumbling is unique to Blackman.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Agreed

Author:
Diogenes (An Observer)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:09:34 11/17/16 Thu

True. But excellent coaches tend to have teams which fumble less than others.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: But

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:53:51 11/17/16 Thu

Don't discount the usefulness of under-inflated footballs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: But

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:44:11 11/17/16 Thu

Or, overinflated egos.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ok, I'll bite

Author:
Amoney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:22 11/17/16 Thu

Sorry GG, but since I haven't drank 'The Coaches Kool Aid' it's not worth taking this topic any further. I've been a player and a coach and made a few mistakes at both. Hears this, there's 10 times more ego that goes with coaching then is ever found in most players especially o/d linemen. Players can be taught to change technique but to get a coach to admit his scheme isn't working is a different story. D is playing high school football, on both sides of the ball, and the better players know it. To their credit, they have had marginal success even though opponents are quick to see the flaws and opportunities. Believe it or not I do share your pride in The Big Green and have high hopes that next season will reward us both with a Championship. over&out

Author:
Irish for Big Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:21 11/17/16 Thu

Hoping for a big game Saturday that rolls into 2017. Looking forward to the tailgate and game v P.

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:06:03 11/17/16 Thu

I've been saying this for years, Buddy Teevens is a terrific guy but a so-so head coach. He whiffed really badly at Tulane and Stanford while his successor to those programs fared much better with his recruits.

I do think highly of Teevens in some areas of the game but Dartmouth has clearly been reliant and spoiled by having Dalyn the past few seasons. It's just a little much to expect the norm without Dalyn. Big Green fans already know you won't get consistent winners ever year with Buddy.

[> [> Subject: Once more with FEELING....

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:19:10 11/17/16 Thu

Teevens left Tulane in a stronger position than when he found it. Bowden, to his credit, took the team to the next level.

As for Stanford, this has been discussed to death. Here's why Harbaugh (who wasn't Teevens' immediate successo) had more success--the issues discussed in this article were "fixed" when Harbaugh got there.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/HIGHER-STANDARDS-Stanford-teams-finding-it-s-2589894.php

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Once more with FEELING....

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:12 11/17/16 Thu

I don't remember who succeeded him at Stanford but I live in the neighborhood and universal opinion was super guy, terrible coach. I didn't think he was that bad a coach, just outmatched most of the time.

It's a tough profession, easy to get outclassed. I don't think Buddy would still be in the profession if not for his Dartmouth ties that has kept him there.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Walt Harris

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:51:11 11/17/16 Thu

It was a forgettable Walt Harris who succeeded Teevens at Stanford, went 5-6 and then plunged to 1-11.

[> [> [> [> Subject: If you were in the neighborhood at the time...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:54:15 11/17/16 Thu

Then you should remember this.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091805aaa.html

Teevens has too much class to gloat, but I'm sure he was laughing on the inside after that game.

And for a "terrible coach," Teevens has never been unemployed for more than a few weeks in his career. Luck may have saved him after the 2008 fiasco, but I'm sure he would have caught on somewhere else.

And as for this year, at worst he will be 4-6. A disappointing and frustrating year to be sure. But hardly the type of stuff that warrants wondering whether Teevens should switch careers.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.