VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Brown vs Columbia

Author:
Brown Bear Fan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:37:02 11/17/16 Thu

Thoughts on this one? 2 years ago Estes had a similar situation with a 4-5 team at home for the last game vs Columbia. He had an all-senior starting lineup open the game which marched down the field for a touchdown. After that he put his starters in. Columbia wasn't as strong that season as they are this year - the O has a young capable squad - frosh QB(s), WR R Smith etc. D is more concerning for Brown and will challenge their normally strong pass game with Conway twins, Baty etc. Hoping Doles is healthy again. Weather is supposed to be decent (60 degrees and dry but rain expected later in the day). Bears (and most all Ivies) have had pretty good luck with weather except Cornell and to a lesser extent URI.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Brown vs Columbia

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:21 11/17/16 Thu

Brown v. Columbia will be a close game.
It always is.

Both teams have solid defenses, that can be prone to occasional gaffs. Both defenses are far better against the run than the pass. The team that can get to the QB with pressure will have the edge.

And turnovers. Dammit. A problem for both teams. I am less concerned by a great defensive play--a tipped ball, huge hit etc. than the stupefying INTs into coverage, or the RB fumble. Turnovers happen even with the best teams; but the Bears and Lions seem to turnover the ball at the worst times.

On offense, Brown has far more weapons through the air. Linta at QB is improving, but Jette, Doles, Swankey, and Casey make any QB look good. Columbia will try to stop the run-first style of Brown and force third-and-long. Pena is a dependable pounder at RB, not likely to break off a long run.

Both kickers are solid; and it could turn into a game of field goals. It could be windy at Brown Stadium; an open field with real, honest to god, grass which is a more difficult for kickers.

Browns defensive line is good and deep with two full rotations of equal strength, a difference-maker late in the game. Browns secondary is patchwork because of injuries.

Columbia showed some impressive offense against Cornell last week. Cornell is far from the best defense in the League, but credible. COlumbia put 40 points on them.

I see Brown winning at home on Senior Day 28-17

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Roar Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:00:58 11/17/16 Thu

Columbia has been sadly consistent for most of the year: outplay the opponent or at least hold our own for about 54 minutes and set our own house on fire for six. We did this vs. Brown last year, giving up two TDs in the first minute and then playing well. Brown will get at least one INT with the ball thrown five yards behind the receiver and we will probably fumble three times. Otherwise, expect an even game. Put more kindly, Columbia is a decent team that makes a lot of unforced errors.

[> [> Subject: Re: Brown vs Columbia

Author:
sprainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:51:35 11/17/16 Thu

well, since we're smart guessing here, I'll go optimistic and say Columbia wins this one by one score (probably a field goal). I'll also guess the offense continues to look better (by playing more frosh) and the defense continues to be mediocre w/respect to points scored by sticking with seniors. Difference will be the new frosh kicker.....

This win, plus the offense scoring two or more touchdowns will demonstrate boring but solid improvement vs. last year and bode well for 2017.

Author:
Old Lion (first years)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:56:04 11/17/16 Thu

Al took 21 first years to Harvard and 20 of them saw game time. He also played a lot of first years last week. I expect to see the same at Brown. As far as last year's game, my recollection is that we had yet another furious finish in which the Brown DB intercepted in the end zone what would have been the winning score. I expect a lot of scoring this Saturday. Our problem is that we always play one terrible quarter (usually the third) each week.

Author:
Western Bear (Brown running game)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:24 11/17/16 Thu

I would love to see a formation with Harriott and Pena in the backfield at the same time. It could provide an element of confusion for the Lions having to defend both the inside and the outside.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.