VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Holtsie Settling in For Darien-New Canaan

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:13:09 11/21/16 Mon

Now that The Game has concluded in a thoroughly satisfactory manner, Holtsie and other Connecticut residents can settle in for THE Game. The New Canaan-Darien rivalry duo produced current Harvard sophomore Alex LaPolice and current Penn frosh Michael Collins and Mark Evanchick.

But beyond those Ivy connections, what makes this rivalry unusual is a unique confluence of winning and money. Both programs are defending state champions (at different levels, of course) and, in the case of NC, the three-time defending champ. Over the past four seasons, against other schools, they are 84-1, including state playoff games.

On Thanksgiving morning, 9-0 New Canaan will host 9-0 Darien. The past two Thanksgivings drew 10,000 spectators, one-quarter of the combined population of the towns, which happen to be the two wealthiest towns in the state. It's like high school football meets Princeton-Yale money meets Princeton-Penn basketball dominance back before Donahue's three-peat at Cornell or Harvard started recruiting like it was Michigan State.

This game is one quirky high school anthropological expedition.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Game is sold out

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:31:45 11/22/16 Tue

pretty amazing. I think they capped the ticket sales at 9000, which means they are limiting standing room which in previous years was 3-4 deep around the perimeter of the field. Teams are ranked 1 and 2 in the state.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: correction

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:23 11/22/16 Tue

I wildly overstated capacity of NC's field only 4700 available, was played last few yrs in Stamford's Boyle stadium that held 7500+

[> Subject: Re: Holtsie Settling in For Darien-New Canaan

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:15:21 11/22/16 Tue

Fighting neighborhood traffic on the way to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzxg66CZ68

[> [> Subject: Re: Holtsie Settling in For Darien-New Canaan

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:33:07 11/22/16 Tue

how did you know that it is my favorite mustard

[> [> Subject: Re: Holtsie Settling in For Darien-New Canaan

Author:
Franklin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:39:21 11/22/16 Tue

Somebody spent a lot of time and energy making that commercial. You have to admire the dedication to one's craft.

[> Subject: if you are bored

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:54 11/24/16 Thu

might want to watch the two best teams in the state of CT
http://live.han.network/han-on-demand-turkey-bowl-xxiii-darien-vs-new-canaan/

[> [> Subject: Classic game

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:40:14 11/24/16 Thu

Darien jumps out to 34-10 lead NC roars back with 24 straight points to tie game with 12 secs left

Games goes to OT Darien kicks FG and first play NC Frosh QB throws INT to end it WOW

Makes Darien great again

[> Subject: BTW

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:26:31 11/24/16 Thu

The fact that they limited ticket sales to 4700 was a huge mistake IMHO. Instead of a 2-3 deep crowd ringing the field it was very spotty and I could even see empty seats on the Darien side. I'm not quite sure why the powers that be wouldn't want another 1-2000 people at 10 bucks a pop. I would have gone for sure instead I had to watch on computer

[> Subject: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:16:04 12/01/16 Thu

I think this might be somewhat comparable to Time and Newsweek magazines putting Bruce Springsteen on their covers the same week in 1975. The two most popular websites covering high school sports in Connecticut ran these two stories in the same week. There is some discussion in the comments section about whether Darien-New Canaan is more like The Game: Michigan-Ohio State or The Game: Harvard-Yale.

http://www.gametimect.com/football-annual-darien-new-new-canaan-turkey-bowl-now-ct-rivalry-without-peer-video/

http://www.therudenreport.com/seems-darien-new-canaan-rivalry-sits-alone-state-penthouse/

[> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:27 12/01/16 Thu

As I say, some high school contests may generate more interest than ivy games.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:26:21 12/01/16 Thu

Many Calvin but not necessarily in Ct. In Texas they can draw 30,000 at an important high school game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:41:12 12/01/16 Thu

But they don't have Grey Poupon in Texas.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:26:07 12/01/16 Thu

They like hot sauce

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:44 12/01/16 Thu

Harvard sent Jill Stein to Texas to pass the Grey Poupon. In return, she received fewer votes than a good high school football game.

Actually, Jill Stein's highest and best use would be as the Director of Ivy League Recounts. Think of all which needs to be recounted: football attendance figures; dropped passes; false starts; the Academic Index; the percentage of students attending games etc.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:41 12/01/16 Thu

If you're serious about keeping her busy, have her track down the millions of illegal voters Trump claims kept him from winning the popular vote.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:17 12/01/16 Thu

Jill Stein, Harvard B.A./M.D., Director of Ivy League Recounts, will find them and give them all a hand recount.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:34:21 12/01/16 Thu

This being a family site, I cannot give that setup the follow-up line for which it begs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 'Cause Tramps Like Us, Baby, We Were Born To Run

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:15 12/01/16 Thu

I was relying on your discretion.

[> [> Subject: Hey An Observer

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:51:33 12/01/16 Thu

you must be a local Fairfield county guy because you are familiar with both teams and obviously follow the action closely. I would love to get together and discuss local football, if interested we can use BW as a go between

I think the kid to keep an eye on over the next 3 yrs is Pyne, although a good friend of mine's kid is soph OT and just starting to grow into his big body and hopefully is Stueber clone because he is only 15 and is already 6'5 250, got some mop up varsity time this year backing up Stueber

Only problem is I am only around until the 13th then headed south via ATL to see granddaughter then on to Foehiland

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Hey An Observer

Author:
NCRAM86
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:03:46 12/02/16 Fri

New Canaan (10-1) will now take on No. 6 Notre Dame-West Haven (8-3) in the semifinals at 6:30 p.m., Monday, Dec. 5, at Dunning Field.
GO RAMS! I will be there!

RAMS bracket. I'd love to beat undefeated Windsor!

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/pno_hn9iEea-8KA2nzwbTA/pno_qX9iEea-8KA2nzwbTA/football-fall-16/2016-connecticut-high-school-football-playoff-brackets--ciac--class-l.htm

Waves bracket. I would like to see you play Shelton.

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/pno_hn9iEea-8KA2nzwbTA/pno_jH9iEea-8KA2nzwbTA/football-fall-16/2016-connecticut-high-school-football-playoff-brackets--ciac--class-ll.htm

[> [> [> [> Subject: I feel pretty confident

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:58:01 12/02/16 Fri

that both teams will run the table unless a key injury happens to either QB. I am exited to watch the NC kid develop over the next few yrs

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Hey An Observer

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:14:46 12/02/16 Fri

Holtsie, thank you so much for reaching out. I've more than once thought that you (and a few other posters here) would be great fun to meet over a beer. I've got to think through whether I want to pierce the veil of anonymity. Anyway, in the immediate future, it's an academic issue as I am out of town until you take off for Foehiland. So enjoy the rest of the Connecticut playoffs and then put on your sunscreen!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Hey An Observer

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:27:45 12/02/16 Fri

Watch it "an Observer."
You've already revealed too much about yourself. Only lawyers pierce veils. You've reduced the number of suspects to somewhere around one million.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I don't know

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:25 12/02/16 Fri

I'm fairly certain this was intended to induce piercing, with no lawyers on the horizon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zK2ku2l77E

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I don't know

Author:
L et V
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:32:10 12/02/16 Fri

A much improved horizon. By the way, should we send out an APB for O and his friend or alter ego, Pilgrim?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: "...only lawyers pierce veils..."

Author:
Jack Hatfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:56:34 01/19/17 Thu

Holtsie is reported to have rocked the casbah and pierced many veils on a trip to Algiers in his youth...

[> [> [> Subject: well

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:52 12/02/16 Fri

I will be back in late Jan for a couple of weeks bc I am still yo yoing back and forth

I have met several of the posters here and others I communicate through e mail go for it it

[> Subject: Darien-New Canaan and Wrecking Your Career After the Harvard-Yale Game

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:46 12/13/16 Tue

Darien repeated as Connecticut Class LL champions with a 13-0 record. New Canaan completed a four-peat as Class L champions at 12-1, with the lone loss in overtime against Darien on Thanksgiving. In 2013 and 2014, New Canaan defeated Darien in the Class L finals so, to finally win its own state championships, Darien had to move *UP* to a larger class.

In the final statewide New Haven Register poll across all classes, the two programs finished #1-#2, just as they did last year.

These two programs fascinate me because my favorite sports book is Friday Night Lights, in which readers spend a season with a football-obsessed West Texas town called Odessa. The town has fallen on hard times and football provides a social infrastructure the local population desperately needs.

(There's an Ivy connection as well. The star student on the Permian Panther team is tight end Brian Chavez who is recruited and enrolls at Harvard, then quits the Crimson team after one practice when he realizes that Ivy football does not measure up to his high school football. Coda: He graduates from Harvard and then becomes a successful lawyer in Odessa. At age 40, he loses his Texas law license after felony convictions stemming from attacking some long-time personal acquaintances who graduated local rival Midland Lee after a shocking Permian upset loss to Midland Lee. Chavez essentially destroyed his law career in the high school equivalent of physically attacking some Yale friends after losing this year's Harvard-Yale shocker. Seriously, that is how he reacted to a deflating football loss at age 40.)

New Canaan and Darien fascinate me because there is the same town fixation and support of football. Only instead of a hardscrabble boom-and-bust oil economy, there is a high-paying boom-and-bust Wall Street economy. Instead of dusty pick-up trucks, there are late model BMWs. But the underlying devotion to football is the same. And the on-field results bear out that devotion.

[> [> Subject: He's back

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:54:27 12/13/16 Tue

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Find_A_Lawyer&template=/Customsource/MemberDirectory/MemberDirectoryDetail.cfm&ContactID=193940

We all love a good comeback story!

[> [> [> Subject: The Yale, Brown and Penn Connections

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:14 12/13/16 Tue

I'm relieved to read that Chavez has had his Texas law license reinstated, although I see that it was suspended for five years. That's a heavy penalty to pay professionally for the high school equivalent of getting drunk at this year's Harvard-Yale upset and then deciding to beat up your old Yale acquaintances.

There are other Ivy connections as well. Quarterback Mike Winchell had looks from Yale and Brown. As recounted later, Yale lost interest when they heard Mike's thick West Texas accent, apparently deciding that a guy who spoke like that was not Ivy material.

And of course the closest Ivy connection is the author of Friday Night Lights, Buzz Bissinger, who graduated from Penn. Bissinger wrote the famous long-form piece on Caitlyn Jenner, "Call Me Caitlyn," for Vanity Fair in 2015. Not quite as well known is that Bissinger is a cross dresser himself, and has a well developed leather fetish.

I mean, you cannot make this stuff up.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Hmmm

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:02 12/13/16 Tue

Define "fetish", versus "style conscious."

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: sidenotes

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:06 12/13/16 Tue

to the rivalry, because of repeated incidents of fighting all hockey and basketball games between them are played in the afternoon. This prevents the drunk kids getting into with each other, the police presence is impressive as well

BTW Cal I have a leather fetish as well but it is for rich Corinthian leather of my Chrysler Cordoba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKHBB4vt4c

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: sidenotes

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:58:36 12/13/16 Tue

This is an entirely friendly comment. Still driving a Chrysler in 2016? We need to pass the hat to get you a better car. Ricardo's Corinthian leather aside, you deserve a better ride. Happy holidays!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: sidenotes

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:32 12/13/16 Tue

Holtsie, I had never heard or noticed that all hockey and basketball games between New Canaan and Darien are played in the afternoon. That is fantastic.

It reminds me of my favorite Ivy playoff of all time, the 2011 Princeton-Harvard basketball rubber match at Yale. The best, most valuable center section of seats between the two fan bases was left unsold, presumably as a demilitarized zone between rival fan bases. I had laughed when I first heard that, but I guess if New Canaan and Darien kids can rumble, maybe Princeton and Harvard students can as well.

It's like MMA for high SAT combatants. (Yes, like Princeton and Harvard are ranked as the #1 and #2 colleges in America, so New Canaan and Darien are the two top-ranked school districts in Connecticut. This whole scene is just too perfect.)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The league should have given those seats to Yale students

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:28:33 12/13/16 Tue

They would strip naked while sitting in the middle row, assuring that neither the H or P fan bases would even think about attempting to cross over to the other sections.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: A good start

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:43 12/13/16 Tue

But you know, you don't have to choose between auto-mechanical and, um, other applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZDWZFtyWY

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: funny thing is cal

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:24 12/13/16 Tue

my daughter in her first yr at PSU tried out for the Rocky Horror production and made the chorus. She then reserved seats right where she would come out into the audience. I knew what to expect but my wife didn't have a clue. When she came out half nekkid wearing fishet stockings my wife's jaw dropped completely it was too funny

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: That would have been funny

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:48 12/13/16 Tue

Especially if you had pictures of both daughter and mother.

[> Subject: Darien Losing Harvard-Educated Dermatologist OC

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:02:43 01/19/17 Thu

Here's an interesting development in the Darien story. Another high school in Fairfield County has hired as its new head coach the offensive coordinator from Darien, who has been on the staff since 2005. No big deal, right? Happens all the time that struggling programs hire assistants from successful teams.

Here's what caught my eye. The gentleman in question is a 1982 graduate of Harvard who runs a full-time dermatology practice in Greenwich. And judging by his slight physical build, I'm guessing that he did not play football as a young man.

What a fascinating story. Here's a guy busy running a one-man medical practice who somehow decides, "I want to be a football coach." I assume that, every day from mid-August through mid-December, he's got to leave his office in the early afternoon to make the drive to Darien for practice. Then he builds an explosive offense which has played for a state championship the last four years, losing twice to rival New Canaan and then winning twice after being elevated to a larger class.

His story is slightly reminiscent of Joe Moglia but the difference is that Moglia retired from TD Ameritrade before becoming a football coach again. The Darien coach has maintained his medical practice throughout and I presume will continue to do so, even though he now has the administrative demands of being a head coach.

Good luck to this impressive multi-tasker.

I wish I could manage my time so effectively.

[> [> Subject: probably

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:09:51 01/19/17 Thu

he wants to make his new school great again
Tell you what if every coach followed the Joe Moglia model I think college football would be a in better place bc there was a story in yesterdays local paper about Saban helicoptering in to visit a 4 star recruit at a local HS

[> [> [> Subject: Re: probably

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:52 01/20/17 Fri

Always nice to see a guy who has skin in the game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: #1 All-Time?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:25 01/20/17 Fri

Quite possibly the greatest pun in the history of the Ivy League sports message board.

*golf clap* *golf clap* *golf clap*

[> [> [> Subject: ah Cal

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:23:41 01/20/17 Fri

as always you crack me up

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.