VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Does Yales Grass= Injuries?

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:39:12 11/22/16 Tue
In reply to: Real Fan 's message, "Does Yales Grass= Injuries?" on 07:20:24 11/22/16 Tue

Is the real cause of Yale's 3-7 record an unusual amount of injuries or a lack of depth? I think it's the latter.

Every team suffers injuries throughout the season. I have yet to see any statistics that prove Yale has more injuries then other ivy league schools. The difference is how teams handle those injuries.

Yale had a serious lack of depth this year, especially in the secondary. Last year it was at the running back position. In 2012 it was at the QB position. I think the real issue may be lack of positional balance in the recruiting classes.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Does Yales Grass= Injuries?

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:14:06 11/22/16 Tue

While depth is certainly an issue, I don't think it can take all the blame - or even most of it.

I don't know how you can say that there's no evidence of a team experiencing more injuries than average, when they resort to starting a running back at QB (Varga 2012), a cornerback at RB (Harris 2015), and regularly finish seasons starting third-string receivers (7,8,9 on the depth chart).

Secondly, regarding the grass field theory -- Dartmouth supporters listed a litany of injuries that they experienced this year. AFAIK, they are on turf, full-time. And doesn't Yale practice exclusively on Clint Frank Field, which is turf? If grass was the culprit, wouldn't Brown be the other team with a host of injuries?

Anecdotally, it appears that an extraordinary number of injuries - particularly season-ending ones - have occurred in three of the five Reno Years, including the most recent two in a row, which featured completely different strength & conditioning programs.

What's the underlying cause? I don't know, but it should be investigated. Personally, I don't think it's grass-related.

Improving depth would help, but is a treatment, not a cure.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Does Yales Grass= Injuries?

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:23 11/22/16 Tue

Agree with voy vey. Empirically the number of injuries for Yale this year is above the norm. The Yale Harvard preview on the Yale football website indicated "Yale has had 23 different starters on offense and 18 on defense (41 overall)" because of injuries. Depth is not the cause of Yale's problems - depth became an issue because of the need to go 3 or 4 deep all too frequently. In the past two years Yale had to rely on the talents of db Dale Harris to fill in at rb. Without finding a remedy to the injury problem does anyone feel confident about the rb situation next year with just Lamar and Salter - without Harris who will have graduated. Reno will have to find at least two more capable rbs who can start when needed.
Having watched Yale on grass for decades (no pun intended) I can't recall a set of seasons when injuries seemed so concentrated and when there was so much uncertainty over who would be the starters each week.
The cause or causes for the injury issue is a mystery but I will repeat my suggestion that the AD office hire a consultant to do a complete assessment to determine whether there are ways to reduce the injuries.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Does Yales Grass= Injuries?

Author:
First-hand man
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:13:27 11/23/16 Wed

(I posted this under another thread, but it's pertinent to this discussion)
Yale's new strength/conditioning program is terrible. Most players are now heavier, slower, and weaker as the lifting regiment is poorly designed (despite accolades to the contrary). The only players showing improvement are those who were not avid lifters to begin with. This is a big reason injuries have been such a problem.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.