VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
Brown Fan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:39:05 11/28/16 Mon

The thread about the relatively low viewership of Ivy football games raises a question (suggested by one of the contributors): Would we be better off without the tv broadcast of games? Compared to streaming video, the broadcast games reach more people and have somewhat better production qualities. On the other hand, the games last 30 minutes longer due to interminable, repetitious advertising, and the picture quality of streaming video is very close to the quality of picture in the broadcasts. Thoughts?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Brown and Penn can stay off TV if they want

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:06 11/28/16 Mon

If they think that their attendance would be better if they weren't on television, then I'm sure the league would be happy to accommodate them.

I'm equally sure others would be happy to take their slots.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Likely not "our" call to make

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:22:19 11/28/16 Mon

With Power-5 conferences invading Friday nights (the B1G starting next year), I suspect NBCSN may decide that the Ivies, as a property, are not worth the investment. But it probably depends upon what that investment is, I suppose.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Likely not "our" call to make

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:58:41 11/28/16 Mon

This is true. We likely got our contract with NBCSN because we were one of the few conferences willing to juggle our schedules on Friday nights to accommodate the network. Once we face more Friday competition from other conferences, I fear that we will drop off. The one mitigating circumstance is the ever increasing number of obscure cable channels. We may drop off NBCSN but be picked up by a lower tier channel.

[> [> [> [> Subject: And don't forget other competition

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:02:45 11/28/16 Mon

High school games may be more appealing to broadcasters. Probably a better game atmosphere.

[> [> [> [> Subject: OneWorld Sports, baby!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:12 11/28/16 Mon

'effen Darts!!

But in seriousness, after the Dartmouth-Columbia broadcast fiasco, OneWorld did an admirable job of Ivy games. Sure, NBCSN was better, but I can live with OneWorld.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: OneWorld Sports, baby!

Author:
Jim (O'Brien)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:49:51 12/01/16 Thu

I watched OneWorld for one game and it seemed like they were simply airing the Ivy League Digital Network broadcast.

[> Subject: Re: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:07:35 11/28/16 Mon

I can't see the Big Ten broadcasting games on NBCSN. they are already contracted with ABC/ESPN, and NBCSN is small potatoes for them. they would be more likely to put Friday nights on Big Ten Network to try to build up that property than go to NBCSN.

[> [> Subject: Big Ten

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:07 11/28/16 Mon

I wasn't implying that the Big Ten would be on NBCSN. Just stated that the Big Ten would be on TV on Friday nights, as opposition, further gouging into our already-small viewership numbers on NBCSN -- probably to the point where NBCSN would decide that paying the Ivies to broadcast their games is no longer worth the expense.

[> Subject: Re: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:02:52 11/28/16 Mon

100,000 households is not insignificant exposure considering how few attend our games.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:35:15 11/29/16 Tue

I think any exposure for Ivy League football is good for our league. However, one suggestion is if NBC Sports or any other cable channel is going to broadcast a game, then the home team is responsible for getting fans to come to the game. Those Ivy teams that do a good job promoting their game and drawing fans get the TV games and those that don't will lose out.

[> [> Subject: Re: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:37 11/30/16 Wed

I think that's a losing proposition. Penn is doing many creative things to promote its athletic events with less than spectacular results. I just don't think that the majority of students care. Therefore I think 5,000 - 10,000 at Penn football games is the new normal. It doesn't matter whether it's Friday night or Saturday afternoon. Too many kids have other priorities

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:11:28 12/01/16 Thu

how about "interest in attending football games?" as an admissions tie breaker?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
Jack Hatfield (NexTitle19)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:27:06 12/01/16 Thu

How about "interest in attending football games?" as a tie breaker when hiring Directors of Admission? ;)

[> [> Subject: Re: Would we be better off without broadcasts of Ivy football games?

Author:
Old Lion (Friday nights)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:19 12/01/16 Thu

To me, Ivy football in Saturday afternoons. Friday night games just do not work in the IL.

Author:
Sr Punter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:22:40 12/01/16 Thu

Some of the best attended (and student attendance) Brown games in recent years have been night games. Brown students even went to Harvard for a night game.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:51:33 12/01/16 Thu

Agreed on night games. I think Cornell should open every season with a Saturday night game (no Fridays please) as we usually draw well for those games and then host Homecoming in October against an Ivy League opponent. Personally I like early season night games so I have time during the day to do other fun stuff when the weather is still nice.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.