VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Yale's - Lighting in a Bottle

Author:
Ricks
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:49:18 12/03/16 Sat
In reply to: Alumni Hyacintho 's message, "Yale's - Lighting in a Bottle" on 10:58:22 11/21/16 Mon

If any final decisions about Coach Reno staying or leaving have been made I have not heard. As I previously posted, one of my contacts with AD Beckett showed he realy thought Reno was "the guy" for Yale football. I think this was like the late 30's when "Ducky" Pond lost to the Tigers in 1939 but beat Harvard and saved his job for one more year, when Spike Nelson and then Howie Odell came in and it wasn't until 1944 that Odell, with the help of the Navy's V-12 program, had an unbeaten season, with wins over North Carolina and a 6 to 6 tie with Virginia in their final game. (The good old days!!)
Will we see TR for one more year while a rebuilding program is formulated? Gotta convince TB it's needed!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Yale's - Lighting in a Bottle

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:40 12/03/16 Sat

gentlemen; mr pond was an excellent halfback and coach for our blue squad including the famous 1934 squad which upset the heavily favored tigers with eleven players playing the entire game.unfortunately mr pond did not have an undefeated squad with great teams in 1936 suffering one loss and 1937 one loss and a tie. winning record four wins and three losses against the cantabs.both mr kelly and mr frank spoke highly of him until their respective passings.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale's - Lighting in a Bottle

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:33:43 12/03/16 Sat

During the latter part of his tenure, I believe that Coach Pond was assisted by a young coach working his way through Yale Law, Gerald R. Ford, previously an All America center at Michigan. President Ford always spoke fondly of his years at Yale.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale's - Lighting in a Bottle

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:00:04 12/03/16 Sat

The year Clint Frank won the Heisman, the runner-up was Byron "Whizzer" White. Clint Frank, Whizzer White and Gerald Ford--quite a group.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.