VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: PSU is back

Author:
holtsledge
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:04:38 12/04/16 Sun

big time
awesome victory tonight, BW and my daughter are very proud tonight and so am I

I spent a lot of time out there in my working career (35 yrs) and was a long time supplier of fossil fuels ie COAL to their power plant. I am thrilled and extremely happy.

Let's make PA great again especially since Jill Stein is dropping her ridiculous recount challenge

FRACK YOU all you green party freaks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: PSU is back CATFIGHT!

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:15:48 12/04/16 Sun

Ohio State is not a conference champion. Princeton is. Princeton versus Clemson in an all-Tiger semi-final tussle.

'Bama and the Nittany Lions in the other semi. Any team which schedules Rutgers as a non-conference opponent (Washington) does not deserve to make the College Football Playoff.

Although, ironically, Princeton so far has refused to schedule Rutgers as a non-conference opponent. College football is complicated.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: PSU is back

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:18:09 12/04/16 Sun

PSU to the CFP!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: PSU is back

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:25:52 12/04/16 Sun

Worst case scenario for Michigan over the weekend: Three teams ahead of them won a conference championship including the weakest (Washington) doing so in decisive fashion. Then, to make matters worse, Penn State beats Whisky, improving the Nittany Lions' argument for the CFP in case Washington is bypassed by the committee.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: PSU is back

Author:
Diogenes (Anthony)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:54:43 12/04/16 Sun

Michigan lost two games in the B1G (Ohio State and Iowa). Penn State beat both Ohio State and Iowa.

Michigan finished third in the B1G East. Ohio State second and Penn State first. PSU beat Wisconsin for the B1G championship.

PSU to the CFP.

[> [> [> Subject: Washington isn't being bypassed

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:24:18 12/04/16 Sun

Teams generally don't fall after winning their conference championship games in a blowout.

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:34 12/05/16 Mon

Washington is deserving of being there. PSU would not have been.

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:45:57 12/04/16 Sun

I'm not a PSU fan, but I doubt it makes a difference. Everyone is cannon fodder for Alabama.

[> Subject: have to agree

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:17 12/04/16 Sun

Bama is tough but a few of the commentators yesterday Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn were touting Clemson bc of Deshaun Watson

[> Subject: CFP should be Alabama, Washington, Penn State and Clemson

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:35 12/04/16 Sun

Football is played on the field, not in the media. Play the game, not the narrative. No participation trophies. The four champions of the top four conferences. QED.

[> [> Subject: So who do you think that Penn State will play in the Rose Bowl?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:02:57 12/04/16 Sun

Unlike OSU v. PSU in the CFP, Colorado v. USC in the Rose Bowl is actually a legit debate.

[> Subject: Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:29:41 12/04/16 Sun

This is what I'd like to see. You've got to reward Ohio State for the strength of its OOC schedule and resume, punish Washington for its pathetic OOC schedule.

As a fan, I want to provide an incentive for teams to schedule tough and then perform. A great record with absolutely nothing OOC gets demerits compared to a great record with a better OOC>

[> [> Subject: looks like

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:18 12/04/16 Sun

PSU vs Foehi's Buffs in Rose bowl

[> [> [> Subject: nah

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:44:33 12/04/16 Sun

I think it will be USC.

As for UW's schedule, it wasn't their fault that Rutgers sucked. And the remaining two games were pretty much the same competition as Clemson played.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:45:40 12/04/16 Sun

I'm massively unimpressed with both Wash and Clemson. Under these admittedly odd circumstances, I'd go 1) Bama 2-3) PSU and Clemson 4) OSU. That actually offers a real chance of an all-BIG final, which is fair, or a Bama-Clemson drawlfest, which is fair too (although I got PSU in the semi). OSU should be penalized for its moment of brainlock by playing Bama in the first round, not by pretending that Pac12 is a serious football conference.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:14 12/04/16 Sun

"PSU is back," huh? The fact that people still tolerate, let alone actually root for, PSU after what that warped program did to those kids in the showers shows how these United States are in a flat-out race to the bottom.

[> [> Subject: give it up

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:57:03 12/04/16 Sun

So one person is a pervert and you tar the whole program? The kids playing their hearts out on the field had nothing to do with what happened and you know it. A new coach and players long removed from what obviously was a terrible tragedy. I feel for the kids that were horribly abused but the current players and coaches are innocent.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: give it up

Author:
Tad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:15:59 12/05/16 Mon

Yet we bemoan the depths to which the Ivy's have sunk due to the de-emphasis of football. Is there a middle ground? How can it be achieved? Set a ceiling that is is impossible for a program to break through by rule bending and a floor that no probram be allowed to fall through without conference intervention. Impossible task? What is the ceiling that precludes deification and a sense that they can do whatever they want with impunity?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: give it up

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:57:19 12/05/16 Mon

The ceiling that precludes deification is not being allowed to compete in the post season for a National Championship at the FBS level. That ceiling was permanently codified when the Ivy League was down graded to the FCS level.

As a result of the FCS downgrade there is no further need to deemphasize football by banning post season football play. Ivy League football teams should now be allowed to avidly pursue National Championships at the FCS level through participation in the FCS playoffs.

That is the happy medium that needs to be attained between deification and irrelevancy.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: give it up

Author:
Tad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:56:47 12/06/16 Tue

Agreed. My gut reaction in the past has always been that to participate in the FCS Playoffs is tacitly accepting the humiliating demotion to IAA. Each passing year softens the pain and brings clarity to the realization that the golden years are long gone. Let's just stop punishing the football teams for past abuses and let them compete, like every other Ivy sport, to show what they can do on the national level.

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:34:59 12/04/16 Sun

I agree that it was a heinous affair but at what point does it end?

PSU has paid out over $60 million in restitution.

Those involved directly or indirectly have been discredited.

What more needs to be done?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: PSU is back

Author:
HDallmer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:31 12/04/16 Sun

It was more than one person. Former Penn State President Spanier and aides Curley and Schultz are awaiting trial. Stay tuned.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: PSU is back

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:32:49 12/04/16 Sun

As stated by another commenter, it was way more than just one person. Way more. It was an entire culture and mindset that substituted things that don't matter for things that do.

I still remember watching a broadcast showing Penn State students when the NCAA sanctions were being announced live, and the expression on one girl's face in reaction to the NCAA discipline looked as if she had just learned that both of her parents had just died in a plane crash. Warped values and no perspective.

Programs like these that trump all other worldly concerns, deify the participants, and elevate a mere game to something that religions can only envy are simply the wrong way. Good luck to us when our global economic rivals in the competitions that really matter run us off our feet because we're just too busy watching this nonsense non-stop on the boob tube.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Paterno

Author:
Go...'gate
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:16:08 12/05/16 Mon

Let's not forget Saint Joe, the man who committed significant sins of omission.

Author:
Sam
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:00 12/05/16 Mon

This is an absolutely absurd thing to write: not one person involved with the Penn State football program was at the University during the period you cite. Get a life and stop living in the past, which clearly has passed you by and left you embittered.

[> Subject: Re: PSU is back -- Not

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:36:28 12/04/16 Sun

Committee hoses the Lions. Bama-Wash semi will be a complete disaster, OSU may score 70 on Clemson, and probably win. Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan and Oklahoma should do great in Bowls.

[> [> Subject: Re: PSU is back -- Not

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:02:09 12/04/16 Sun

We will see how they do, but I expect USC to be favored to win the Rose Bowl against PSU.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: PSU is back -- Not

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:58 12/04/16 Sun

My bad, I had understood Colorado was automatic in the Rose. USC/ PSU should be a fine game.

[> Subject: Things to be thankful for

Author:
Son of Eli (Sarcastic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:54:28 12/04/16 Sun

Aren't we all glad the Ivy League doesn't allow for post season play in football so we can talk instead about other league's games on the Ivy Sports Forum?!

[> [> Subject: Re: Things to be thankful for

Author:
Eastetrn Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:43 12/04/16 Sun

Yes!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Things to be thankful for

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:39:28 12/04/16 Sun

Keeping telling yourself that the next time you're in a nearly empty stadium watching an Ivy League football game. No atmosphere or energy will exist, but at least there will be no lines for the bathrooms and parking will be a snap!

[> Subject: Re: Penn State football should have gotten the death penalty.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:00:51 12/05/16 Mon

Sorry guys but the PSU coaches and athletic administration covered up Jerry Sandusky's atrocities for over 10 years and they got a fine and some lost scholarships. Big deal. Meanwhile, SMU got the death penalty because a few players got paid, but no one got hurt like in the PSU case. I have lost all respect for Penn State and their fans who quickly forgot about the pain inflicted on those young boys by a monster they intentionally covered up.

[> [> Subject: Paterno Did

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:48:30 12/05/16 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I'm with Sprint 66

Author:
Go...'gate
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:49 12/05/16 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: I'm not

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:03:56 12/06/16 Tue

for the reasons stated at the beginning of the thread, nuff said

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: OUIARE

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:24 12/06/16 Tue

Holtsie, I thought of you yesterday when I was passed by an SUV whose back end, like seemingly all SUVs today, was festooned with stickers. There were a couple of Penn State stickers. (I've often wondered why people have more than one sticker on the same car for the same institution. Is that like underlining or boldface type?)

Anyway, what made this SUV notable was its Virginia license plate, "OUIARE."

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: OUIARE

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:52:49 12/06/16 Tue

"I've often wondered why people have more than one sticker on the same car for the same institution."

Probably multiple kids attending - each wants his/her own sign of recognition.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It's only been 5 short years since allegations broke.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:08:57 12/06/16 Tue

Shame on Penn State and the NCAA. Penn State's scholarships were restored in 2014. Sure the existing coaches and players might not have been there, but no way this program should have already been playing in bowl games or any other accolades. They got off with a slap on the wrist for what happened to those kids. See the time line below.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/us/penn-state-scandal-fast-facts/

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: RTB

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:09 12/07/16 Wed

Warped Values + Denial + Race to the Bottom = Penn State.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.