VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Congratulations Army

Author:
Floridared
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:14:35 12/12/16 Mon
In reply to: Son of Eli 's message, "Congratulations Army" on 18:38:40 12/10/16 Sat

Glad to see Army break their losing streak.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Congratulations Army

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:25:36 12/12/16 Mon

Fourteen game Navy streak equaled the length of Yale's streak over Princeton, 1967-1980, the latter alleged by some of our posters to be a reason for the devaluation of the once-great Y-P rivalry. Army-Navy seems a more resilient series than Y-P, more akin to the H-Y series, where 8 losses in a row did not substantially depress either Yale ardor or attendance stats for The Games.

My own view is that Princeton has rebuilt to such a level that, if Bulldogs can get their act together, the Y-P series will revive. Our posters will have an interesting hot stove league discussion about whether November 19 result in Cambridge was just a flash in the pan, and fundamental problems still exist in Yale program needing address by the AD, and perhaps the university president....

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Yale-Princeton

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:13 12/12/16 Mon

The funny thing is, before Yale's 14 straight, Princeton had won 6 straight and probably, taking an educated guess as I try to think back, 15 out of 20.

From the Yale point of view, that made Princeton the team to beat, even more than Harvard at that time.

Some particularly bitter losses like '64 with Iacavazzi tossing the ball into the stands after scoring (and Mercein getting hurt), and '66 when Yale lost on a blocked punt run back for a TD late in the game, seemed to actually enhance the rivalry.

There are not enough of us left who remember what it was like back then.

What really hurt the Yale-Princeton rivalry, in my opinion, was Yale-Harvard '68

That game forever, or at least until now, cemented Harvard as THE rival going forward.

The 14 straight Yale wins against Princeton, in front of progressively dwindling crowds in the middle to late '70's, certainly didn't help spark a revival of a once great series.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:12:06 12/12/16 Mon

Agree with Bulldog that 29-29 game took a lot of the air out of Y-P rivalry--that game provoked an all out Yale effort to beat H. Interesting that, up until 1970 or so, Princeton on the field performance was considerably better than Harvard's, and that added to the intensity of the Yale effort to fight against what was considerable Tiger dominance of the Bulldog in the 25 years after WW II. During that stretch, P had two 6 game streaks over Y, not just the referenced '61-66 streak, but also a half dozen losses inflicted on Yale from '47-'52. It got so bad that Yale's unique winning record head to head against all Ivy competitors was seriously threatened by the succession of Tiger powerhouses led by Kazmier, Flippin, Cosmo and Landeck. By end of '66 season, the Y-P ledger was getting close to even Stephen, with Yale ahead by only 43-39. Eli all-time advantage over Tigers now comfortable. Had Crimson beaten Bulldogs this November, Yale edge over Harvard would have been cut to 65-60, way too close for comfort. Even with upset this year, Yale all time 66-59 record vs H is no cause for complacency.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:33:26 12/12/16 Mon

Great summary.

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:39 12/13/16 Tue

Another damper on the Yale-Princeton rivalry in recent times is the fact that the two programs are rarely both good at the same time.
Over the past 20 years, there's probably been about three seasons where both were above-average. You have to go back to 2006 for a season where both were serious title contenders. And that game drew a healthy crowd, and some old-fashioned animosity between the teams and student bodies.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:10:29 12/13/16 Tue

Agree with vv that Y-P is a natural rivalry, that during some decades had more meaning to Yale than the contest with the school up north. Let's hope that Yale can find a way to get on the same (winning) page with its younger brother to the South, and that we can see some of that old fashioned vitriol flow on the gridiron!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton a once great rivalry

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:00:28 12/13/16 Tue

Some wonderful memories of YP games at the Bowl and at Palmer when the stands were full and there were All-American players on the field. Even the freshmen games were well attended. The rivalry was intense between the teams and very spirited between Bulldog students and the Tiger students - a good number were friends and former classmates from boarding school. Legacy students were a significant number in those days and their friendly rivalry was practically in bred and the popularity of the YP game was passed through to younger generations.
It would be terrific to see some of that enthusiasm for this game regenerated so I quite agree with VV and MP; but with today's students hardly attending any games I am doubtful it will change very much even as both teams try to improve their level of success.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton a once great rivalry

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:07:39 12/14/16 Wed

I really miss freshman games. Too bad they outlived their usefulness.

The Yale-Princeton freshman game was always on Saturday morning so you could watch the freshmen play, then head over to either the Bowl or Palmer for the varsity.

The Y-H freshman game was always on Friday the day before. Always a day off from work for me.

I'll never forget the Yale-Harvard freshman game in '87 being played in almost early season like warmth. Overnight, in came the cold weather and the '87 varsity game became the "Ice Bowl"

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton a once great rivalry

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:45:38 12/14/16 Wed

Those YP freshman games followed by varsity games were double the enjoyment of a great rivalry. Like watching a football doubleheader.
Was wearing polar wear for the 87 Game and it still wasn't enough. You're right the day before was balmy.

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:55:47 12/13/16 Tue

Good summary, the 1967 game breaking that 6 game streak was certainly emotional.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale-Princeton

Author:
Ricks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:54 12/13/16 Tue

As I've said ad nauseum, my first game at the Bowl as a youngster was the 1939 loss to the Tigers. That dratted 29-29 affair has permanently etched the Johnnies in my mind as the arch enemy, with the Green not far behind. Isn't it great to have such history to fall back on ?

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:00:47 12/13/16 Tue

gentlemen; interestingly i too was present at the bowl for the 1939 tiger clash as well as our victories that year over army and the cantabs at the horseshoe.the only real pounding that year was provided by the maze and blue to our squad.i still remember mr cozza bone head decision not to run mr diana on a fourth and two at the tiger 32 which would have salted away a victory at palmer stadium in 1981 and an undefeated season.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.