VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Darien-New Canaan and Wrecking Your Career After the Harvard-Yale Game

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:44:46 12/13/16 Tue
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Holtsie Settling in For Darien-New Canaan" on 23:13:09 11/21/16 Mon

Darien repeated as Connecticut Class LL champions with a 13-0 record. New Canaan completed a four-peat as Class L champions at 12-1, with the lone loss in overtime against Darien on Thanksgiving. In 2013 and 2014, New Canaan defeated Darien in the Class L finals so, to finally win its own state championships, Darien had to move *UP* to a larger class.

In the final statewide New Haven Register poll across all classes, the two programs finished #1-#2, just as they did last year.

These two programs fascinate me because my favorite sports book is Friday Night Lights, in which readers spend a season with a football-obsessed West Texas town called Odessa. The town has fallen on hard times and football provides a social infrastructure the local population desperately needs.

(There's an Ivy connection as well. The star student on the Permian Panther team is tight end Brian Chavez who is recruited and enrolls at Harvard, then quits the Crimson team after one practice when he realizes that Ivy football does not measure up to his high school football. Coda: He graduates from Harvard and then becomes a successful lawyer in Odessa. At age 40, he loses his Texas law license after felony convictions stemming from attacking some long-time personal acquaintances who graduated local rival Midland Lee after a shocking Permian upset loss to Midland Lee. Chavez essentially destroyed his law career in the high school equivalent of physically attacking some Yale friends after losing this year's Harvard-Yale shocker. Seriously, that is how he reacted to a deflating football loss at age 40.)

New Canaan and Darien fascinate me because there is the same town fixation and support of football. Only instead of a hardscrabble boom-and-bust oil economy, there is a high-paying boom-and-bust Wall Street economy. Instead of dusty pick-up trucks, there are late model BMWs. But the underlying devotion to football is the same. And the on-field results bear out that devotion.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: He's back

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:54:27 12/13/16 Tue

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Find_A_Lawyer&template=/Customsource/MemberDirectory/MemberDirectoryDetail.cfm&ContactID=193940

We all love a good comeback story!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: The Yale, Brown and Penn Connections

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:14 12/13/16 Tue

I'm relieved to read that Chavez has had his Texas law license reinstated, although I see that it was suspended for five years. That's a heavy penalty to pay professionally for the high school equivalent of getting drunk at this year's Harvard-Yale upset and then deciding to beat up your old Yale acquaintances.

There are other Ivy connections as well. Quarterback Mike Winchell had looks from Yale and Brown. As recounted later, Yale lost interest when they heard Mike's thick West Texas accent, apparently deciding that a guy who spoke like that was not Ivy material.

And of course the closest Ivy connection is the author of Friday Night Lights, Buzz Bissinger, who graduated from Penn. Bissinger wrote the famous long-form piece on Caitlyn Jenner, "Call Me Caitlyn," for Vanity Fair in 2015. Not quite as well known is that Bissinger is a cross dresser himself, and has a well developed leather fetish.

I mean, you cannot make this stuff up.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Hmmm

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:02 12/13/16 Tue

Define "fetish", versus "style conscious."

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: sidenotes

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:06 12/13/16 Tue

to the rivalry, because of repeated incidents of fighting all hockey and basketball games between them are played in the afternoon. This prevents the drunk kids getting into with each other, the police presence is impressive as well

BTW Cal I have a leather fetish as well but it is for rich Corinthian leather of my Chrysler Cordoba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKHBB4vt4c

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: sidenotes

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:58:36 12/13/16 Tue

This is an entirely friendly comment. Still driving a Chrysler in 2016? We need to pass the hat to get you a better car. Ricardo's Corinthian leather aside, you deserve a better ride. Happy holidays!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: sidenotes

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:32 12/13/16 Tue

Holtsie, I had never heard or noticed that all hockey and basketball games between New Canaan and Darien are played in the afternoon. That is fantastic.

It reminds me of my favorite Ivy playoff of all time, the 2011 Princeton-Harvard basketball rubber match at Yale. The best, most valuable center section of seats between the two fan bases was left unsold, presumably as a demilitarized zone between rival fan bases. I had laughed when I first heard that, but I guess if New Canaan and Darien kids can rumble, maybe Princeton and Harvard students can as well.

It's like MMA for high SAT combatants. (Yes, like Princeton and Harvard are ranked as the #1 and #2 colleges in America, so New Canaan and Darien are the two top-ranked school districts in Connecticut. This whole scene is just too perfect.)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The league should have given those seats to Yale students

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:28:33 12/13/16 Tue

They would strip naked while sitting in the middle row, assuring that neither the H or P fan bases would even think about attempting to cross over to the other sections.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: A good start

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:43 12/13/16 Tue

But you know, you don't have to choose between auto-mechanical and, um, other applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZDWZFtyWY

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: funny thing is cal

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:24 12/13/16 Tue

my daughter in her first yr at PSU tried out for the Rocky Horror production and made the chorus. She then reserved seats right where she would come out into the audience. I knew what to expect but my wife didn't have a clue. When she came out half nekkid wearing fishet stockings my wife's jaw dropped completely it was too funny

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: That would have been funny

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:48 12/13/16 Tue

Especially if you had pictures of both daughter and mother.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.