VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: P men's swimming season suspended

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:21:31 12/16/16 Fri
In reply to: Bengal 's message, "P men's swimming season suspended" on 23:32:35 12/15/16 Thu

I'm willing to bet there are more teams out there at our schools, not yet discovered.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: The Thought Police and the War on Men grind inexorably forward

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:45 12/16/16 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: New Jersey Constitution

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:43 12/16/16 Fri

"Every person may freely speak, write and publish his sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right."

[> [> [> [> Subject: Again

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:54:51 12/16/16 Fri

Go to Jersey, yell "fire" in a crowded theater, threaten to kill the president, and defame someone with malice.

Let us know what happens.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Attend Princeton and be disciplined for your private thoughts and speech expressed to your friends

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:29 12/16/16 Fri

Big Brother and Big Sister are listening. Their free speech is not your free speech. The Thought Police (Ivy Division) are here.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dio

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:49:48 12/16/16 Fri

This concern on Ivy and other campuses may well be apt. But context matters both in terms of "location" and content. In my dorm room among friends is one thing. On the internet can be a different thing, something my generation did not have to consider as undergrads. This one does. Especially on a team listserve.

This is Princeton [or Yale, or Dartmouth, or Penn or fill in the blank] we are talking about. I think that should matter to its alums, let alone current students/administrators.

Again, I want to see what was said and the fuller details of this episode. And the punishment should fit the wrong. I will wait and see.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dio

Author:
Diogenes (Bengal)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:21:59 12/16/16 Fri

Agreed and well said--as far as it goes. The problem lies in the existence, enforcement, selective enforcement or non-enforcement of written or unwritten speech codes.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: listservs

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:22:19 12/16/16 Fri

I think that's key here.

Columbia had several football players who made racist and anti-semitic comments on their individual twitter feeds a few years back. Caused a big backlash, and those individuals were disciplined.

But there was (as far as anyone knows), no such comments on a team-wide platform. Had there been so, it is very likely that Columbia may have had to forfeit football games.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.