VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Should Cornell replace the West Stands visitor section?

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:25:08 12/19/16 Mon

As a long time Big Red fan, I have mentioned several times on this website the old West Stands needed to be replaced when it was condemned about four or five years ago. Last spring those stands were torn down and now Schoellkopf Field is a one-sided stadium, with an ugly parking garage as a back ground. The West Stands were similar in size to many high school grand stands you'll find around the country, so it's not like we're talking big money. As far as I know there are no plans to replace the West Stands in the immediate future. My primary concern is this puts Cornell Football (and our young head coach David Archer) at a significant recruiting disadvantage, especially considering this program hasn't seriously played for an Ivy title since 1999. One of the first places young recruits visit is the stadium. In addition I am surprised NCAA Divison I FCS rules don't require a visitor section. I went to four road games this year and enjoyed nice visitor sections at each venue. Whether you are a Cornell fan or an Ivy/Patriot fan, what do you think????

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Should Cornell replace the West Stands visitor section?

Author:
BigRed23
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:53:10 12/20/16 Tue

If your question is does the Cornell Football team need more seating the answer is a resounding no. That would be an utter waste of money that would be better spent on recruiting and training. At the moment and for the forseeable future there is more then adequate seating for football and other athletic and nonathletic related events. In addition, if you speak to the coaching staffs they will confirm that the replacement of the west stands has no impact on recruiting. However there is a need for additional locker and training facilities which could incorporate seating. That is why the plan is to rebuild the west stands as part of a facility that includes offices, and locker and training facilities with seating over it. My understanding is that there is currently no money in the university budget to pay for such a facility. Moreover, there are other athletic projects including an indoor training facility that are a higher priority and would have in my opinion a much greater positive impact on recruiting and the success of the football program then rebuilding the west stands. Just building stands to fill an empty space is not the answer to making the football program successful. Its the equivalent of worrying about the deck chairs while the boat is sinking.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: This is my gut, too

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:57:15 12/20/16 Tue

While a one-sided stadium doesn't look great, it's probably very low on a recruit's list when he's looking at a school. Locker/weight rooms and things where the players actually spend a lot of time should get priority.

Fordham has done fine with a one-sided stadium.

[> [> Subject: Re: Should Cornell replace the West Stands visitor section?

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:31:34 12/20/16 Tue

Good response. The truth hurts, but many of us fond of college sports of another era really have to let go of the past. Up in Ithaca however,just don't mess with Lynah Rink.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Should Cornell replace the West Stands visitor section?

Author:
BigRed23
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:16:02 12/20/16 Tue

The recent Lynah rink renovation is a perfect example of the point I was trying to make. The renovation improved the rink's utility for the fans and substantially improved the locker and training facilities for the men's and women's teams. What ever is eventually done with Schoellkopf should take the same approach.

Author:
IvyPatriot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:33 12/20/16 Tue

Mobile bleachers that can also be used at other venues, outdoor concerts and graduation would be a fine compromise until a decision is made about a permanent solution. I think Dartmouth has these in the end zone.
https://bigtenrentals.com/rental/bleachers/hydraulic-towable/10-row-45-feet/

[> Subject: Indoor practice facility is their top priority...

Author:
Floridared
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:37:46 12/20/16 Tue

Before the passing of Cornell President Elizabeth Garrett, they had already begun to explore that facility. Things are on hold until the new Cornell President starts at Cornell and settles in.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:50 12/20/16 Tue

Well, another view is that the visitor stands were sterile, high school-grade pre-fab metal, and just plain ugly considered by themselves. But when you then compare them to the unarguably beautiful crescent, they're even uglier on a relative scale. So . . ., their absence actually ups the overall "architectural score" of the entire facility by leaving what's excellent and getting rid of what's not. Just screen off the garage with evergreens etc. I think that the crescent is one of the most presentable football stands anywhere and that Cornell should justifiably take pride in having it!

Author:
Old Lion (Fordham)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:46:33 12/20/16 Tue

The Fordham stadium, while not even close to Cornell in appearance, also does not have visitors' stands. As a result it really is a very unsatisfactory venue for seeing a game, especially for visiting fans and the visiting team. I think that something along the lines of the Columbia visiting stands, which nicely complete the stadium but are not elaborate, would work well at Cornell.

Author:
BigRed81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:18 12/20/16 Tue

Cornell football program should develop a training table for the linemen instead of spending money on visitor seating.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:23:13 12/20/16 Tue

Looks like the West Stands are a lost cause on this post. I guess many of us alums can remember when the West Stands were packed for our Ivy titles in 1971, 1986 (finished 2nd), 1988, and 1990. Apparently 1990 is now the "good old days" and the program will never reach that level again. I think Cornell is something like 20-50 since 2010. Meanwhile both Dartmouth and Princeton who are both playing in new or nearly new stadiums have kicked our A... the past few years. Decorate the parking garage all you want, you're still putting lipstick on a pig. Regardless, any redevelopment of the West Stand area is most likely ten to fifteen years out and we will probably have gone through another three or four head coaches by that time. Oh well..........

Author:
Old Red
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:28 12/26/16 Mon

Should Cornell replace the West Stands....?
not until they build the All Weather facility.
and not with funding from the Athletic Budget
Let's get real

Author:
BigRedMachine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:09:11 12/26/16 Mon

Should Cornell replace the West stands?

Yes.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:03:03 12/26/16 Mon

Like I mentioned in my previous posts the indoor practice facility and new West Stand complex is probably many years down the road. What I have said all along is we should at least replace the West grand stands which is not a big investment and put a bubble on the field hockey turf on Alumni Fields. Cornell already spends less money on football than any other Ivy and the cost of doing both those projects in the near term is probably less than some Ivies are currently spending over Cornell football in one year. I guarantee you if Harvard, Princeton, or even Dartmouth removed their visitor sections their alumni would be "pissed"! That's why those schools win at football and we do not.

Author:
Go...'gate
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:10:11 12/30/16 Fri

Yes, they should replace the West Stands in some fashion. It does not have to be elaborate.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.