VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:55:15 12/21/16 Wed
In reply to: The Mountain Lion 's message, "Jack Young Commits to Columbia" on 12:00:37 12/20/16 Tue

Jack Young's 2016 stats were 58 receptions for 880 yards and 8 TD's in the Western Pennsylvania IAL. Young wii give Columbia another deep threat when he lines up next year with Josh Wainwright, Ronald Smith and various others. I agree with the florida lion that "we're happy to have him."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:36:04 12/23/16 Fri

Curmudgeon act? Cranky and unbecoming comments like this just jack up the board's old-man (read, irrelevant) quotient. If this is entertaining, Dunkin' Donuts at 10am on a weekday is a goldmine.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: ah

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:51:50 12/23/16 Fri

Jack "Mighty Joe" Young

[> [> [> Subject: Re: ah

Author:
florida lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:22 12/23/16 Fri

Poor Jack, I hope he hasn't been reading this thread. He really had nothing to do with it. Anyway, Merry Christmas and best wishes to all.

[> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:46:57 01/04/17 Wed

Wow, this thread got goofy fast. But I do have to point out that many on this board seem too interested in the All State thing. It's totally meaningless regardless of per-season/post-season status and kinda follows the "rink-dink" football rule. The whys are simple: first, it's local and political, second it's based on how the team does as much as the player, and third it's a one season honor based on how a player does against other HS players and often useless as predictor at next level. And since it's regional, it tends to biases kids from small states (less competition), and gives no clue how a kid from CT will actually do against a kid from TX or FL at next level. I've seen many kids who are "All something" from such football powers as NY, CT, MA etc. that couldn't survive against normal competition in the larger states like FL, TX and CA.
Big difference when the lines avg. 280 and athletic vs. 220 kids who trip on second step.

I get why all the Ivy heads on this board follow the "all xxxxx" thing so closely. First it's local so it's easy to see and since it's in the local paper it sticks out. But it's also what one is left to "hoot" about when the really good (and ranked) kids from the football factory states go elsewhere.

At this point, I'm sure one of you older Ivy types is saying, "that's how XXX Ivy school won all these years". Well, maybe so, but if you haven't noticed the arms race is on in the Ivy's with respect to getting ranked kids from top football states. And that's the Ivy's advantage over other FCS teams and allows them to occasionally steal FBS kids. Getting more of these kids to infuse programs will restore the status of Ivy football and feed on itself.

Rankings, as flawed as they can be are FAR more accurate and at least give a clue if kid is fast enough and big enough for next level. And, although far from a science, they're are marginally normalized across states. Film eval also helps, but HUDL highlights aren't great for obvious reasons, and the stats on HUDL are usually optimistic advertising. Better to go to youtube and pick games for kid to see how good he really is in a whole game. Then look for Rivals or Nike info to verify speed. We all see posts like "this DE runs 4.4", and all I cans say is that if it's true, he'll be at Michigan of FSU 99% of time.

Of course, trusting quality coaching to figure it all out is probably best. They get paid for it, so the crazy views get filtered out.

I've been crapped-on by others (Old Lion) for saying this, but will repeat over and over. The number of ranked kids is a a good (and possibly best) measure of class strength, and must be compared to other schools on the target list (and not peers). Obviously, the more ranked kids the better the school draw on recruits is, and the more ranked kids from big football states is even better. And over time, the ranked kids will emerge as the biggest contributors. That doesn't mean every ranked kid is a guarantee, and since the Ivy gets so few relatively, and it doesn't mean other kids won't contribute and thrive too. It only means that on average, the team with more ranked kids tend to be better.

The kid Jack Young looks like a good addition and anyone at CU should be happy to have him. But more importantly, there are now several ranked kids in this class, and many plug holes in last years class, and that bodes well for CU. For CU to get consistently competitive, they need many more.

Some on this board have been very touchy that the CU 2017 class isn't as strong as 2016. It's not and it's really not even close, but it doesn't have to be. All the coaches need to do is keep filling in the holes with quality players and the 2017 class seems to do that.

So, if your happy with how CU (and other Ivy's) did over last 10yrs, keep looking at regional kids with All-something status. If your interesting in seeing your team move up in Ivy rankings and start beating Harvard consistently, count the ranked kids, especially from top football states.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
Roar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:24:37 01/04/17 Wed

Can't agree about the new class not being as good as 2016's, not true at all in my view. This could be our best crop ever of RBs and WRs, and the OLs and DBs look real good, too. Seemed to start out a little slow but has really picked up, And maybe more to come to fill the LBs and DLs, stay tuned.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:21:28 01/04/17 Wed

Good post. Given my statements about rankings, can't say I agree on all but hope you are right.

On RB-side, 2016 had two ranked kids who played a good amount so are proven quantities. 2017 only has one ranked kid who's not quite at same level on paper and film, but sure he'll be a good addition. Hopefully one of the 3 steps up to become a big-time rusher.

On receivers and OLine there are alot of good 2016 kids waiting in wings and don't see any 2017 kids who are better on paper or film, but believe your right that classes may match at least these position groups. But more important there may be some real depth building at these positions (assuming the coaches actually do some rotations this year).

For DB's no ranked players like in 2016, but the 2016 group was too thin and more kids needed so good news here.

Keep seeing posts about wanting more LBs and less frequently DEs. Not sure they have any recruiting slots left open at this point, so not expecting any big updates.

Having said that and looking at current roster, see some really good 2016 ranked LB's along with some solid frosh players who got lots of play time (mostly special teams). Also see some solid upper-class men who must have a lot of urgency to get on field this year, so unless a 2017 kid is really outstanding (or if injuries happen) not sure we'll see them alot this year. Some one said the upcoming 2016 group may eventually be better than current seniors and at least on paper and film evidence is there. Ditto for DE's and DT's. So, given the 2017 additions think the front 7 slots are relatively loaded, so they should use remaining slots elsewhere (which it looks like they did).

Waiting a few more weeks to see rest of league come in. That will give best clue if CU is matching or exceeding rest of league talent. Matching is nice, but hoping they are getting better kids in so a Ivy title shot is realistic. Like some other teams to, but a CU run would bring lots of attention to league.

Like your optimism. Lot's of opinions on this board that are second/third hand and not terribly accurate (or smart) so hoping your info comes from someone very close to team.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
LionFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:23 01/05/17 Thu

Sprainy, sprainy, sprainy... havent figured out if your just an anonymous troll trying to stir the pot or a delusional family member of a young lion who didnt get to play much this year.

Calling the rest of us fans on an anonymous message board "not smart" because we do not adhere to your broad stroke philosophies is hilarious.

So lets listen to the experts...
"Sometimes I don't know what comes first in recruiting rankings, the cart or the horse," Saban told reporters in December. "When a guy gets recruited by what I'm going to call high profile programs, he gets ranked higher. That's where I question the validity of how accurate some of those things may be."

Who creates these rankings? Seasoned successful college coaches? Or young interns that never played/coached? What data are they using? Is the data accurate? Have heights and weights been updated? Are 40 times verified? Are injuries, growth spurts, changes in position or system considered? How much do the rankings consider projections to other positions based on size/speed potential? How often are updates made as 16 to 18 year olds physically change ever 3-4 months? If a kid only goes to one camp, gets offered by one school and commits does he get any credit in ranking?

Again, a 6'4 wr who is also the state champ in the 100 and a 1500 pt scorer in basketball is easy to accurately rank. Even us not smart voy posters can see the great ones. Also if Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State offered I would give a bunch of stars sight unseen.

Are there times that the 2 star and 3 star rankings are right on a prospect? Of course. (see blind squirrel or Farmers Almanac) But they are wrong so often that to use them as a measuring stick is irresponsible, even laughable.

Rankings work for the elite HS prospects. These kids pass ever possible test and are easy to predict for greatness. Beneath that top group of a few hundred kids
are thousands of kids who will not and cannot be accurately ranked/rated by some recruiting service with a couple dozen 30K a year employees.

Div 3 schools will yield hundreds of non rated players that are superior to some of the 2 stars heading to Yale. I would wager Mt Union, granted not your typical div 3, would have beat Yale by 3 touchdowns this year.

So a stupid voy fan's "eye test" or the "all area" recognition in a great area like Western Pa, or a quote in the commitment release from a HS coach that "knows"... are all just as accurate and valid reason to be optimistic as a bunch of irrelevant and inaccurate 2 star rankings.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:57 01/05/17 Thu

Well LionFan, sounds like I got you attention. Sorry to irritate you, but maybe you're proving my point. And maybe your the one with a non-ranked kid?

Rankings are relative. No real difference between a 2 and 3 star. But huge difference between a non-ranked kid and a ranked kid, just like huge difference between a 2star and a 5star.

I've also said on and individual basis, only a small factor but number of ranked in a class it's a great indicator.

Of course, FBS coaches like Saban, Jimbo and Shaw all talk down rankings while their assistants sign nothing but ranked kids. When the last time you saw Alabama play more than an unranked kid. Or USC, or even lowly BC. Look on the commits boards and count the unranked kids.

But having hard time seeing how having more ranked kids is a bad thing for any Ivy. Sure seems like the coaches want these kids bad. And, I'd point out that like FBS, the Ivy's are going all over the country these days looking for them.

Finally, please look at the more academic FBS programs like Duke, Northwestern and Stanford. All ranked kids. Huh? Why is that??

Also note that every spring and summer, virtually all Ivy offers (ok, academic support offers) are to ranked kids, and it's not until they fall off the board that the teams start to pay attention to the unranked kids. Maybe that means nothing? Oh, snap!

But as I've said, ranking doesn't make a kid good. But it does highlight what kids may be good, and really good. So the more ranked kids, the higher the chance of some kids that can make plays rather than just be totally adequate.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
LionFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:34:56 01/05/17 Thu

Why is that?
Because as soon as they get offered, they get ranked.

You are trying to use a Top 25 argument for the Ivy League. But we are not the smart ones?

Will look forward to watching your son's stars shine whether they are two, three or none.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:09 01/05/17 Thu

well LionFan, since you're doing your detective work let me give you some hints. It's true that I'm a CU dad, and carefully followed some "rough" seasons. Unfortunately, my daughter wasn't ranked in football so I'm pissed. Sure team would have been better if she were.

Hopefully, my 14yr old son will be at least a 3star, and I'll inform him that's you're ready and eager to watch him at CU even if he is ranked. Hopefully you can look past the ranking, and have some pull w/coaches 'cause financial aide is a big deal! Only minor issues for him at CU is that "another" key family member is more interested in a New Haven apt. But Reno should be out by then otherwise Bags wins the day (assuming he's still around).

As for me, I'm just an ex-FBS guy (or more accurately, and D1A guy). Would love to be a full-time coach, but can't afford to be. Have to do real work to pay for things.

One more clue! Oh, isn't it a $^#* rip-off travesty that Penn State didn't get into the playoffs. OU didn't deserve it!!! Damn!!! But looks like USC did with all those ranked kids. Can you believe the USC QB was only a 4star!!!!

Gotta go. Late for dinner. Hope this clears things up. Don't like being called a troll.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
LionFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:37 01/06/17 Fri

You come on here
Insult Ivy League football
Insult Columbia Football
Insult Coach Bagnoli and staff
Insult the intelligence of other posters
Insult kids (some of whom read this) who... are not ranked by some ridiculously inaccurate system you wish to use... or who won meaningless all state awards...

and you don't consider yourself a Troll?

you are the worst kind of troll. Foehi, pokes fun and tries to be clever but doesnt even take himself too serious.

you have fooled yourself into thinking you have intelligent arguments to support your insults...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:16 01/06/17 Fri

Didn't insult Ivy football, just saying they're not the most athletic league in D1.

Didn't insult the kids. Just saying it's not the most athletic crew in D1. Gone out of my way to point out many non-ranked kids will do very well and in some cases become stars.

Didn't insult CU or Bags. Truth is, they're a chronic loosing program that looks like they're finally turning around.

Don't know any CU coaches so no comment either way.

As for posters, there are some very good posts and some not-so-good posts. But when I see posts that say things like "they can move serveral DL to LB easily", or a kid runs 4.36 at 200LBs and is coming to an Ivy my "dumb-$^#D" sensor goes off.

Sorry pissing you off so bad. Not really intentional so let's stop now given you're getting irrational.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Please refresh your memory on your post...

Author:
LionFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:50 01/06/17 Fri

Sprainy's post season analysis of Ivy League;

1.) The new kick-off rules make boring games more boring!

2.) As usual Ivy league talent is a mishmash of some really talented players with mostly boring HS level players who can barely run.

3.) How did some of the kids who made all Ivy actually get there??? League politics or what!

4.) The overall season (minus the H-Y game) was very boring. And the "who cares" standings reinforce this. (I'm sure some Ivy folks will claim parity of league - I agree, most teams suck).

5.) The Ivy league coaching staffs all proves again how much they suck compared to the rest of FCS (and especially the FBS). Absolutely no offense or defense innovation and trick plays from the '40s.

6.) So happy Ivy is leading college football on injury prevention mostly because there is absolutely nothing else they lead in except most boring games. And we definitely got some "Ivy football meets safe space" stuff going on.

7.) If you want some fun East Coast football for a change, watch the Patriot or Colonial league if you can't watch a real FBS game. Oh, and they're still playing....

Your whole schtick has been along these lines. You come to an Ivy Board and anonymously insult people

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Please refresh your memory on your post...

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:00:57 01/06/17 Fri

are you sure you got the same guy???

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Copy and Pasted word for word

Author:
LionFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:44 01/06/17 Fri

That is copy and pasted from just one of your posts (11/23 to be exact) insulting the Ivy League this fall.

Now you are not even owning your expert opinions?

We are the stupid ones for sure.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Copy and Pasted word for word

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:56 01/06/17 Fri

you really should be sure about things like this before you post them! NG in a big way.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Please refresh your memory on your post...

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:05:45 01/06/17 Fri

better yet, I'll just go into read-only mode to avoid any more LionFan spankings!!!! But re-post was fun to read.

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:56:43 01/06/17 Fri

oh, and never said there are NO athletic kids in league. Rather, they're mostly, and you guessed it - ranked. But I admit there are some surprises from the other kids as well.

But I've also seen my share of 220lb full-back types that trip or nose-dive after more than 5yrds of running, 5-flat 40 type DB's, LBs that can't move laterally, and lineman that carry all 280lbs around their tummy and hips. In the Ivy's, it's often a weird mix of really good kids, and barely average kids on field at same time.

But optimistic and hoping that continues to improve as teams bring in more and more talent, which again, you guessed it, means more ranked kids. Not insulting anyone. Just saying things need to improve for Ivy's to keep up with rest of FCS.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: i don't think there are many

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:45 01/06/17 Fri

lineman 280 and up anywhere in college that don't have a belly and big hips, in fact the pros like the guys that have big hips thick thighs etc

Author:
Old Lions (Snacks' stars)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:13:09 01/06/17 Fri

Damon "Snacks" Harrison, just named first team all Pro, had zero stars coming out of high school. Right now he may be the best run stopper in the NFL. He was barely recruited coming out of high school.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: and

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:36:58 01/06/17 Fri

he has a big belly and big hips

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
Roar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:01:12 01/05/17 Thu

Sprainy, I think you're wrong about the RBs. Rankings or not Moore looks like a bigger talent than Thomas and Rose, both of whom will have to show more to hold their spots, and Filacouris is a strong and smart runner who can really find the holes, with Jalen Allen up there in potential as well. I look for Moore or Filacouris to be starting before long.

Author:
Old Lion (Power back)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:08:29 01/05/17 Thu

Moore looks like the type of power back which Al has always recruited, but I think there are plenty of carries to go around. Thomas is very good, and Rose is more of a third down guy. I do not think that RB is going to be an issue. We will need some more help on the OL, especially to replace the under appreciated Kendall Pace, plus a legitimate pass catching TE. On defense I really like the young DEs and LBs, but we have go get some more DB help and more DLs who can play inside.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack Young Commits to Columbia

Author:
The Mountain Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:12:16 01/05/17 Thu

Cameron Lipton-Martinez could very well be that "legitimate pass catching end" that Lion fans are wishing for and he is a very good blocker as well. In addition, the Lions already have a number of tight end possibilities returning. This should be one of the most highly contested positions this spring.

Author:
spainy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:39:51 01/05/17 Thu

nice to see if your right on Moore. Agree he'll turn up heat on other guys, who were all adequate but didn't break out as frosh. My guess is that if the 2017 guys prove themselves, they'll be in rotation within a few games. Starting will likely be more tied to injuries than beat-outs. For all the frosh that played this year, still feel team was going too slow putting new talent in game. Not sure 1 extra win was worth not getting more experience for young kids, but it's in the books now.

[> [> [> Subject: I still like

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:38 01/04/17 Wed

"Mighty Joe" as his nickname bc it was always one of my fav movies especially when he rescued the kid from the orphanage ,here is the original trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46AyCmufOs8

but I am more than wiling to compromise with either "Andrew"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTjJOEvp0lE
or "Robert"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOJbPLPROvg

way back when, when things were a bit more simple

so I will leave it up to the board to decide

interesting difference

[> [> [> [> Subject: Things weren't actually more simple, we just thought they were

Author:
Diogenes (holtsledge)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:20:33 01/30/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Things may not have actually been more simple

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:47:59 01/30/17 Mon

We were.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: True. We are now harvesting the fruit of that simplicity.

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:40:01 01/30/17 Mon

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.