VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ivy League football and the FCS playoffs

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:00:01 12/29/16 Thu
In reply to: Jerrylh 's message, "Ivy League football and the FCS playoffs" on 13:18:07 12/29/16 Thu

The first round in basketball has frequently been an awful mismatch (not so much in recent years) but that never stopped the IL from participating.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ivy League football and the FCS playoffs

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:42:51 12/29/16 Thu

It really depends on the matchup. Sometimes you get a beatable opponent and sometimes you get a James Madison or some team that rolls over you. No predicting that.

I still think it would be a great experience for the players to make the league playoff eligible and they should allow it.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Want the experience of playing North Dakota State?

Author:
Randy California
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:20:40 12/29/16 Thu

They'll schedule you during the regular season. No questions asked.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy League football champ should be allowed to compete.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:36:58 12/29/16 Thu

I have not been a fan of the FCS playoffs, however, since the end of the Ivy League football season Cornell basketball has played in 10 games, most of which were road contests. So the argument the FCS playoffs is a conflict with final exams is incorrect.

I think this year Princeton was peaking and would have a good chance to advance in the playoffs. Quite honestly I am surprised there is not a smart lawyer out there who couldn't argue against the rule on behalf of the players.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy League football champ should be allowed to compete.

Author:
Go...'gate
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:06:21 12/30/16 Fri

I saw Princeton play several times and strongly believe they could have competed very well in the playoffs.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy League football champ should be allowed to compete.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:58:23 12/30/16 Fri

And many of those basketball games are played during the week and therefore conflict mare directly with class time than football playoff games which are only on the weekends.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Want the experience of playing North Dakota State?

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:05:08 12/30/16 Fri

Sure, but I don't think anyone is asking whether they can get a game with NDSU, rather they're commenting on whether such a possibility is so imposing that it should discourage the ivies from wanting to be in a playoff situation.

Besides there's no point in trying to schedule such a game in-season if there's no hope of a post-season.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Want the experience of playing North Dakota State?

Author:
Randy California
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:52:32 12/30/16 Fri

Not too imposing. Your players certainly want to compete. But is this how you want to end your season?

If the the tourney determined the D-I champion, I think you would be all in. However, it's just FCS. It's like the basketball NIT...for football teams.

All l'm suggesting is that playoff caliber opponents are readily available without participating in the playoffs. And if the Ivies don't want tp play them in September, I can't see them signing up for December in Fargo. Not for the slim odds of a FCS trophy.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Want the experience of playing North Dakota State?

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:28:24 12/30/16 Fri

1) Half the league finishes on a losing note every year (not allowing for 'adjustments" some fans apply to claim their team was "really better than ....")

2) I would be surprised if any realistic ivy fan expects to win national championship in: soccer, cross country, basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, track (team), swimming, volleyball, wrestling, or (other than in extremely rare years) hockey or lacrosse, but they still compete

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.