VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Thank you for correcting me

Author:
Diogenes (Randy California)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:24:50 12/30/16 Fri
In reply to: Randy California 's message, "Re: "limiting its teams"" on 12:55:38 12/30/16 Fri

I did not know that. My incorrect understanding was that all FCS football conferences either received an automatic bid or their members were eligible for at-large bids, with the Ivies eschewing both. Which are the other "eschewing" conferences or schools?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: MEAC and SWAC

Author:
Randy California
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:19 12/30/16 Fri

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and the Southwestern Athletic Conference send their champions to the Celebration Bowl rather than the playoffs. Moreover, the SWAC's regular season extends into late November, thereby conflicting with the playoffs.

A MEAC squad might be able to accept an at-large playoff bid. Extremely unlikely they would get one.

Both conferences used to have playoff auto bids, but gave them up for the more attractive/more lucrative bowl game. Also, the SWAC was unable to get a playoff win in something like 15 attempts.

The Pioneer got its first playoff win this year, but might prefer to emulate the black college bowl model...if they could find a nonscholarship D-I league as a bowl partner.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: MEAC and SWAC

Author:
Diogenes (Randy California)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:15:41 12/30/16 Fri

Thanks again. A lot of famous players, and coaches, from many of those schools. The Celebration Bowl is probably far more lucrative than the FCS games.

Bob Hayes of Florida A&M, to my way of thinking, has never received the credit he deserves for permanently altering the NFL passing game. He was, to the passing game, similar to what Bobby Orr was to hockey defensemen.

In addition to actually being the fastest man in the world, Hayes was also a superb football player with great hands, the moves and cutting ability of a running back and never shied away from contact. There has never been another like him and, like Orr, there probably never will be.

So, thanks for the info and the memories.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: MEAC and SWAC

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:27:40 12/30/16 Fri

I am confident that Bob Hayes could run a 4.27 forty. Of course, he never came near playing in the Ivy League.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: MEAC and SWAC

Author:
UAalum72
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:35:46 12/30/16 Fri

Actually, a MEAC team got a bid this year. North Carolina Ag & Tech played Richmond in the first round, losing 39-10

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Thank you for correcting me

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:19 12/30/16 Fri

I believe that Bob Hayes' incredible come from behind effort in anchoring the US 4x100 relay team to a gold medal at the '64 Games in Tokyo may still represent the highest velocity ever achieved by a human being on two feet, even taking into account the recent exploits of Usain Bolt. Hayes took a virtually last place US team and vaulted us into the lead with a display of speed that seemed more akin to flying than running...

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.