VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Surace after 7

Author:
Bengal
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:07:27 01/01/17 Sun

In my view--

1. Surace is a pretty good recruiter. I believe, third hand, that when hired, Walters told him that one factor in his dismissal was that he thought Hughes' recruiting had slipped. Jay Greenberg wrote a piece on the blog 4 or 5 years ago outlining how Surace goes about it. It has played out pretty well, more often than not despite, rather than because of, the Admissions office, which continues to be an uneven, up and down factor to contend with.

2. Players get better under him. I have seen too many guys early in their careers who have developed very well, not to remark on this. Part of it is a natural progression of 18/19 year olds maturing; part of is assistant coaches doing their job, but the HC chooses them.

Two shared Ivy titles in 7 seasons is the best P has done since 1969, except for a stint under Tosches. Surace needs to avoid the decline that occurred thereafter under Tosches, which was partly a reflection of factors outside of Tosches' control.

3. Agreed that, if reports of his exit are true, replacing the OC is a key point. I will discuss next year separately.

Happy New Year to one and all.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Next Year

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:22 01/01/17 Sun

Next season, barring the kinds of injuries we suffered following his first championship, for example, will be an interesting reflection on Surace -- a good reflection if he has a winning Ivy season.

The defense is decimated by graduation. 8 starters and the veteran punter are gone -- the entire LB corps, 3 DBs, and the NG. Two excellent DEs return, and a veteran DB. But I cannot imagine our relative defensive performance in 2017 will match 2016.

The offense is not as badly hit, but we do lose all three WRS and the veteran TE. Rhattigan is a big loss at RB. Ironically, injuries on the OL last season results in a more veteran nucleus returning next season, but replacing the center and building the depth we need are big challenges. Still, this position group could be in worse shape.

Kanoff, if he returns; Lovett; and Volker at RB and Horsted at WR; and the PK are a very solid nucleus to build on at the skill positions, but, except at QB, these are not yet deep positions I am comfortable with over a 10 game season.

Overall, I hope for, but do not expect, at this too early stage, a title run.

Of course, much of the fun of it is that the games aren't played on paper, let alone on my musings. Cheers.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Next Year

Author:
TigerTown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:36:57 01/01/17 Sun

Gleeson appears the heir apparent as Perry's protege. Played QB at Willliams, recruited there by Perry, OC for Surace's brother at FD, RB coach last 4 years under Perry. We'll see what happens.

Defense has depth and we rotate so many players. Holuba, Desire, Wagner, other's on DL. Fossatti plus strong jr & soph classes coming at LB. DB's played many, Melancon, TJ Floyd, Ellis and with couple more sophs rotating in this year.

Kanoff and Lovett is a great start at QB. OL will be real strength, losing Darrow but Bush played a lot. Ramirez at guard, Keuhm back at tackle, and 3 Sophs at guard and tackle. Plus Freshman OT Radosevich was HM all-league at OT.

WR is very solid with Horsted, Parkinson, Argue, Carlson and Tiger B who was sidelined halfway into the season. Volker and Quigley with beast soph Cody Smith at FB, feel good about the offense.

Injuries always plays a role, why depth is so important at all levels.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Next Year

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:43 01/01/17 Sun

Good thoughts; thanks. I'm well aware of the rotation/depth chart and amount of playing time. Its basically consistent with what I said about his recruiting and the way guys improve. But a lot of guys have to step up; we will see how they and the staff handle it.

[> Subject: Re: Surace after 7

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:15:54 01/01/17 Sun

Offense this year was very good but Defense was excellent and that will be the challenge next year

Harvard/Penn reload and that is where Surace wants to be

We will see

[> Subject: Re: Surace after 7

Author:
Down East
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:56:41 01/06/17 Fri

Surace has won two co-championships in four years, in each case defeating his co-titlist that season, including resoundingly in 2016.

The core of this year's dominating team was around last season, but hobbled by injury.

For a championship team with a lot of two-year contributors, Surace has a lot of players coming back in 2017, potentially including both halves of his quarterback tandem.

2017 will be critical for Surace. With Perry leaving, it would not at all be surprising to see Princeton take a step backwards. On the other hand, the Tigers on January 6 have to be considered the early early favorite, given all the returnees. If he can win his third title in five years, Surace will have taken a major step forward to joining Harvard and Penn as Ivy programs that, as M3 says, reload.

[> [> Subject: Best laid plans...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:49:04 01/06/17 Fri

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/Princeton_Tops_Football_Preseason_Poll_for_First_Time_Since_1992

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Best laid plans...

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:44 01/06/17 Fri

Enjoyable replay tonight on One World Sports of PU's last game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I imagine it was

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:13:02 01/07/17 Sat

Really not often you get to see Princeton win a Sawhorse Dollar/Governor's Cup game.

[> [> [> Subject: Should also add that

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:26:01 01/07/17 Sat

Lovett and the rest of the Princeton guys deserve kudos for not making dumbass predictions that they're going to go undefeated next season.

At least not in public.

[> [> Subject: Re: Surace after 7

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:08:43 01/06/17 Fri

Sports writers in these polls tend to put extra weight on the previous season's winner(s). P was not picked either time it won its last two co- titles. As I mentioned earlier, while the offense is clearly in better shape, the defense is decimated by graduation. Other teams have more coming back, and I think listing us as favorites at this stage is a big stretch. We had a lot of returnees after Surace's first title, justifying a pre- season favorite status. Injuries, not graduation, decimated that season.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.