VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Next Year

Author:
Bengal
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:22:22 01/01/17 Sun
In reply to: Bengal 's message, "Surace after 7" on 16:07:27 01/01/17 Sun

Next season, barring the kinds of injuries we suffered following his first championship, for example, will be an interesting reflection on Surace -- a good reflection if he has a winning Ivy season.

The defense is decimated by graduation. 8 starters and the veteran punter are gone -- the entire LB corps, 3 DBs, and the NG. Two excellent DEs return, and a veteran DB. But I cannot imagine our relative defensive performance in 2017 will match 2016.

The offense is not as badly hit, but we do lose all three WRS and the veteran TE. Rhattigan is a big loss at RB. Ironically, injuries on the OL last season results in a more veteran nucleus returning next season, but replacing the center and building the depth we need are big challenges. Still, this position group could be in worse shape.

Kanoff, if he returns; Lovett; and Volker at RB and Horsted at WR; and the PK are a very solid nucleus to build on at the skill positions, but, except at QB, these are not yet deep positions I am comfortable with over a 10 game season.

Overall, I hope for, but do not expect, at this too early stage, a title run.

Of course, much of the fun of it is that the games aren't played on paper, let alone on my musings. Cheers.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Next Year

Author:
TigerTown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:36:57 01/01/17 Sun

Gleeson appears the heir apparent as Perry's protege. Played QB at Willliams, recruited there by Perry, OC for Surace's brother at FD, RB coach last 4 years under Perry. We'll see what happens.

Defense has depth and we rotate so many players. Holuba, Desire, Wagner, other's on DL. Fossatti plus strong jr & soph classes coming at LB. DB's played many, Melancon, TJ Floyd, Ellis and with couple more sophs rotating in this year.

Kanoff and Lovett is a great start at QB. OL will be real strength, losing Darrow but Bush played a lot. Ramirez at guard, Keuhm back at tackle, and 3 Sophs at guard and tackle. Plus Freshman OT Radosevich was HM all-league at OT.

WR is very solid with Horsted, Parkinson, Argue, Carlson and Tiger B who was sidelined halfway into the season. Volker and Quigley with beast soph Cody Smith at FB, feel good about the offense.

Injuries always plays a role, why depth is so important at all levels.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Next Year

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:43 01/01/17 Sun

Good thoughts; thanks. I'm well aware of the rotation/depth chart and amount of playing time. Its basically consistent with what I said about his recruiting and the way guys improve. But a lot of guys have to step up; we will see how they and the staff handle it.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.