VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Higher (you betcha) Education

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:48:56 01/03/17 Tue

The overall content of this article is appalling enough, but the numbers, especially regarding "athletic fees" (i.e. having the overall student body pay in cash directly for varsity sports) are simply beyond belief

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/01/how-university-costs-keep-rising-despite-tuition-freezes/512036/

The idea of a need for legislation to keep ODU's fees below 55% of the athletic budget is either laughable or panic-inducing. Discuss.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Most Ivy athletic departments don't create REVENUE!

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:15:39 01/03/17 Tue

Student athletic fees are the result of not-for-profit thinking athletic departments who don't have a clue how to raise revenue. They just suck off the university budgets and some limited fund raising from alumni.

The Harvard vs. Yale game is a perfect example how those two schools have generated much needed income from "The Game" year in and year out. Meanwhile the rest of the Ivies play out the last game in front of maybe three or four thousand fans, at best. No reason why other Ivies can't develop their own "GAME". Another example is the Lehigh vs. Lafayette game that drew 48K at Yankee Stadium in 2014. For most of our history, Cornell drew huge crowds to Schoellkopf Field including 22K for the Penn Game in 1986, which generated some nice revenue for the athletic department. We still do pretty well for Homecoming, but our remaining games we're lucky if the ushers show up.

Oh yeah I have heard "college attendance is a nationwide problem". That's bull crap. St Bonaventure University in the far southwest corner of NYS has one of the most successful mid-major basketball programs in the country and they pack in the fans year in and year out to the old Reilly Center. They're always in the sports section and work very hard to make themselves relevant. Unlike the Ivies they don't have a large endowment to fall back on, so their athletic department hustles to sell tickets and their games are frequently on local cable television.

If I were an Ivy League president I would tell the respective athletic departments to start generating revenue or we will cut your budget by 10% per year. Sound familiar to those of us who work in the business world? We don't make our revenue numbers we don't get to keep our jobs. Toss the student athletic fees and let the programs stand on their own. Ivy athletics will get religion in a hurry.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Most Ivy athletic departments don't create REVENUE!

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:28 01/04/17 Wed

Sprint --

Thanks for your thoughts.

You seem to imply that there are currently Ivies with student athletic fees. Is this intentional; do you know of any? I posted the link assuming there were none (that wasn't the main point). I hope to God I'm right.

[> Subject: Re: Higher (you betcha) Education

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:59:26 01/04/17 Wed

OK I am looking at one of my kids prior tuition bills and there is a $118 student activity fee, $145 student fitness center fee, and a $99 kick boxing fee on top of the $24.5K I paid in tuition for one semester plus their living expenses. So yes the student activity fee is probably going to varsity athletics. Now I am fortunate to be able to pay these bills, but it can be very difficult for many families to cover these additional costs.

I have always felt the so called "revenue producing" sports like football, basketball, and hockey should largely support themselves with ticket revenue, parking, concessions, etc. If not either sell more tickets or cut the sport all together. Again that's my opinion, but in reality as sports like Ivy League football attendance continues to decline, I question the viability of supporting these programs. I love these sports, but I don't think our students should have to pay for them. On the other hand there are dozens of college programs out there who draw enough attendance to cover most of these costs.

[> [> Subject: Re: Higher (you betcha) Education

Author:
Down East
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:09:51 01/05/17 Thu

Please tell me that your kid actually participated in kick boxing to incur a $99 kick boxing fee.

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:00:29 01/05/17 Thu

On the topic of costs of an Ivy education, I wanted to weigh in on its relative value over time, which makes the student activity fees less important for the typical Ivy parent. While I would have preferred that tuition had not accelerated at a faster pace than inflation, it is my judgment that the Ivy league education is far more valuable today compared to when I went to college.

I will focus on value advantages solely from a student athlete perspective. For student athletes today, there is much more generous financial aid, better facilities, equipment and travel accommodations, remarkable summer internship opportunities, excellent networking with elite employers for post college jobs, generous stipends for undergraduate research projects and international summer projects, and increased access to smaller classes and faculty mentorships. The Ivy brand plays a key role in student athletes securing jobs with highly competitive employers in IB, PE, consulting, and high tech firms like Google, Apple, Facebook, etc.

Looking at post college for the average Ivy student athletes, especially for team sports like football, basketball, and hockey, there is no comparison to several decades ago. In my era, student athletes tended to get higher paying jobs after we had completed our graduate degrees. Today, within two years after college graduation, the average salaries and bonuses are well above $100K with the majority of the former student athletes being able to take luxury vacations all over the world. For the high percentage of athletes going on to getting their MBAs and law degrees, their average starting salaries and bonuses have jumped to $150K to $200K.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:21:38 01/05/17 Thu

That's not my point. I don't think non-athletes should have to subsidize football or basketball because the ticket office can't sell. If they can't sell tickets get rid of them and hire someone who can. North Dakota football averages 18.6 k and little Siena College averages 6.5k for basketball. Moral of that story is get off your A... and sell tickets.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.