VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Most Ivy athletic departments don't create REVENUE!

Author:
Sprint66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:15:39 01/03/17 Tue
In reply to: joiseyfan 's message, "Higher (you betcha) Education" on 13:48:56 01/03/17 Tue

Student athletic fees are the result of not-for-profit thinking athletic departments who don't have a clue how to raise revenue. They just suck off the university budgets and some limited fund raising from alumni.

The Harvard vs. Yale game is a perfect example how those two schools have generated much needed income from "The Game" year in and year out. Meanwhile the rest of the Ivies play out the last game in front of maybe three or four thousand fans, at best. No reason why other Ivies can't develop their own "GAME". Another example is the Lehigh vs. Lafayette game that drew 48K at Yankee Stadium in 2014. For most of our history, Cornell drew huge crowds to Schoellkopf Field including 22K for the Penn Game in 1986, which generated some nice revenue for the athletic department. We still do pretty well for Homecoming, but our remaining games we're lucky if the ushers show up.

Oh yeah I have heard "college attendance is a nationwide problem". That's bull crap. St Bonaventure University in the far southwest corner of NYS has one of the most successful mid-major basketball programs in the country and they pack in the fans year in and year out to the old Reilly Center. They're always in the sports section and work very hard to make themselves relevant. Unlike the Ivies they don't have a large endowment to fall back on, so their athletic department hustles to sell tickets and their games are frequently on local cable television.

If I were an Ivy League president I would tell the respective athletic departments to start generating revenue or we will cut your budget by 10% per year. Sound familiar to those of us who work in the business world? We don't make our revenue numbers we don't get to keep our jobs. Toss the student athletic fees and let the programs stand on their own. Ivy athletics will get religion in a hurry.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Most Ivy athletic departments don't create REVENUE!

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:28 01/04/17 Wed

Sprint --

Thanks for your thoughts.

You seem to imply that there are currently Ivies with student athletic fees. Is this intentional; do you know of any? I posted the link assuming there were none (that wasn't the main point). I hope to God I'm right.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.