VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Higher (you betcha) Education

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:00:29 01/05/17 Thu
In reply to: joiseyfan 's message, "Higher (you betcha) Education" on 13:48:56 01/03/17 Tue

On the topic of costs of an Ivy education, I wanted to weigh in on its relative value over time, which makes the student activity fees less important for the typical Ivy parent. While I would have preferred that tuition had not accelerated at a faster pace than inflation, it is my judgment that the Ivy league education is far more valuable today compared to when I went to college.

I will focus on value advantages solely from a student athlete perspective. For student athletes today, there is much more generous financial aid, better facilities, equipment and travel accommodations, remarkable summer internship opportunities, excellent networking with elite employers for post college jobs, generous stipends for undergraduate research projects and international summer projects, and increased access to smaller classes and faculty mentorships. The Ivy brand plays a key role in student athletes securing jobs with highly competitive employers in IB, PE, consulting, and high tech firms like Google, Apple, Facebook, etc.

Looking at post college for the average Ivy student athletes, especially for team sports like football, basketball, and hockey, there is no comparison to several decades ago. In my era, student athletes tended to get higher paying jobs after we had completed our graduate degrees. Today, within two years after college graduation, the average salaries and bonuses are well above $100K with the majority of the former student athletes being able to take luxury vacations all over the world. For the high percentage of athletes going on to getting their MBAs and law degrees, their average starting salaries and bonuses have jumped to $150K to $200K.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Higher (you betcha) Education

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:21:38 01/05/17 Thu

That's not my point. I don't think non-athletes should have to subsidize football or basketball because the ticket office can't sell. If they can't sell tickets get rid of them and hire someone who can. North Dakota football averages 18.6 k and little Siena College averages 6.5k for basketball. Moral of that story is get off your A... and sell tickets.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.