VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Turning 64, 61, 61 and 59. Bagnoli, Murphy, Teevens and Estes

Author:
Down East
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:33:37 01/05/17 Thu
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "Turning 64, 61, 61 and 59. Bagnoli, Murphy, Teevens and Estes" on 12:48:24 01/04/17 Wed

I'm not saying that Ivy coaches are too old to do the job. The good ones can probably do the job well into their 60's. The bad ones couldn't do the job at any age.

But comparing arguably high ages for Ivy coaches to a standard set by Power Five coaches overlooks the fact that Power Five coaches are selected after a different type of search process. That search process is likely to require previous head coaching experience or more years of successful OC/DC experience. Because of that, I would posit that Power Five head coaches are older when hired. I'll leave it to others to find the data, but comparing the ages of Ivy coaches to Power Five coaches is apples to oranges.

We don't go looking to hire head coaches who have already succeeded at the FBS level. The reason we don't go looking for them is that we can't hire them even if we want them. How many Ivy League head coaches in either revenue sport have already coached with either success or lack thereof at the FBS level? I can only think of three: Tim Murphy, who was indeed the rare guy who willingly stepped down a level to the Ivy League, and Tommy Amaker and Buddy Teevens, who simply needed a job -- any job -- after being run out of town in Ann Arbor and Palo Alto, respectively.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Let's see how the Rams do next season

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:23 01/13/17 Fri

If they show great improvement, then I'll be impressed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18460972/los-angeles-rams-hire-redskins-oc-sean-mcvay-coach

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.