VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: And there we have it

Author:
Calvin
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:24:03 01/18/17 Wed
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "Should be 18" on 06:40:53 01/18/17 Wed

No more need to use these amateurish, unqualified ratings from allegedly professional services when we have at our disposal the Official GG DRAM-HT (Dartmouth Recruits Are More Highly Touted) System.

We await your in depth assessment of each team's recruits based on your expert observation.

I'm sure it will prove more prescient than your 2016 Dartmouth pre-season pronouncement.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: And there we have it

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:47:47 01/18/17 Wed

He does have a point. I think the rating services are interesting, but some of the better players coming into the league aren't listed on these services. Some are listed, but unranked. That doesn't mean they aren't better prospects than 2** recruits. 2** generally is the lowest ranking. It means you went to a camp and someone who does this crap noticed you or a player was strongly promoted by a coach or a parent.

I think the best measure is other offers, which for some Ivy recruits are not earuits are noed. silyter cerns.

I also think ALL Area and All State team selections are not irrelevant, although I agree they can be political and are often a measure more of success on the hs level rather than potential as a college player.

FBS offers and lots of FCS offers (often from non eastern schools we don't think much about but likely could kick our butts under most circumstances) are the best indicators, but they are an imperfect predictor of success as well.

The coaching staffs watch a lot of film and talk to a lot of people. They have more information to make their judgement calls than any of us. Obviously some do it better than others.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: And there we have it

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:49:30 01/18/17 Wed

"earuits are noed. silyter cerns." = not easily discerned

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I still like

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:55:17 01/18/17 Wed

counting the number of touts just because it is so silly and meaningless

actually I would love to see which bands the recruits fall into but that will never happen.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: And there we have it

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:22:53 01/18/17 Wed

The problem (this one, anyway) I have with GG isn't that the 24/7 ratings system is perfect, I know it and others are not, it's his insistence on re-calibrating everything (game outcomes, recruiting, history, etc.) according to his personal preferences that have no objective basis. If he had seen the player in question, or knows how his rating was obtained, that might be different (although I think that he would probably still rate Dartmouth recruits higher, just ... because).

And I happen to like the "earuits are noed. silyter cerns" method, myself. I doubt Holtsie would dispute its fundamental logic.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: for a moment

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:32 01/18/17 Wed

I thought it was Vulcan

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: If you're going to criticize me...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:29:55 01/18/17 Wed

Why not wait for me to make a point that you actually disagree with?

I've said repeatedly and Asia apparently agrees) that offers from other school are the best indicator of which guys should be considered the proverbial "highly touted" recruits.

And even that isn't foolproof. Orimolade didn't get any offers coming out of high school. His career for Dartmouth was pretty good. Miles Smith was only offered from Bucknell and Dartmouth. He's doing fine, too. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.