VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Mixed reviews

Author:
holtsledg
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:24:30 01/18/17 Wed

at east west Shrine game for T
At all of the All-Star games, there are a lot of eyes on the quarterbacks, but the East team didn't have a real standout signal-caller among the group of Southern Mississippi's Nick Mullens, Central Michigan's Cooper Rush, or Pennsylvania's Alek Torgersen. Of the three, Torgersen threw the ball the best, but he didn't set the practice on fire. The first day of practice can be tough on quarterbacks because they are working with new wide receivers, running backs and centers. As usual, there were some fumbled snaps and handoffs. They should be sharper on days two and three.
The quarterbacks at the East-West Shrine are an unimpressive group as a whole. All six could easily go undrafted. Illinois quarterback Wes Lunt did have a nice throw on a bomb down the middle of the field that beat double coverage. Lunt could be a practice squad candidate.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Definitely Mixed

Author:
Asiasunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:26:53 01/18/17 Wed

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- There are plenty of NFL scouts on hand this week for the East-West Shrine Game, and those looking for a quarterback might leave feeling disappointed. What is expected to be a weak talent pool at quarterback in the 2017 NFL Draft has deposited six passers onto Shrine rosters, only one of whom -- a relative unknown in Penn QB Alek Torgersen -- has done much to impress NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein, who was on hand for the second day of Shrine Game practices on Tuesday.
"Torgersen looked the part and threw the ball with some zip. He's clearly the most talented of the quarterbacks out here to me. Torgersen played a lower level of competition, but he has some size, some arm strength, some mobility. You can see he has some projectable talent," Zierlein said. "Out of these guys, Torgersen has the best shot to (increase his draft stock) here. The rest of these guys, I see too many physical deficiencies. Torgersen has a chance to go in the first five or six rounds."

Alek Torgersen out of Penn was the first name added to my Rothstein Scale for backup QBs (I went into brief detail about that last season) as an Ivy League champion and scholar athlete. It doesnít hurt that he completed less than 60 percent of his passes only twice last season (his first two games) and only five times in his four year career. At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Torgersen has the size you want at the position, too. If you canít tell, heís my favorite to be a surprise late=round pick by the Lions, but the cat may be out of the bag at this point. Heís drawing tremendous praise at the East-West Shrine Game, both for his top tier arm strength and in interviews (which matters the most for my scale).

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Better news

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:36:22 01/18/17 Wed

like all on here I hope he makes it, always a positive for the league in general

I read somewhere that H's Kyle Jurassic Park is listed as the best available Hback/FB free agent and Cameron "make or" Brate had an excellent yr as well

[> [> Subject: Re: Definitely Mixed

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:03:21 01/21/17 Sat

Torgersen was not impressive. Looked nervous and in over his head. The TV blamed the center for a bad snap on a huge loss but the snap looked fine to me. I think he took his eye off it. All the best to him. I know he's better than he showed today and I hope someone gives him a chance.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Definitely Mixed

Author:
CU_88
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:59 01/22/17 Sun

He is still better than anyone on the Jets.

[> [> [> Subject: ah

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:27:41 01/22/17 Sun

a bit of an overstatement in that fitz has spent 10+ yrs in the league. I hope Togerson makes it

[> Subject: Re: Mixed reviews

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:05:13 01/20/17 Fri

Very little NFL QB talent coming up these days because most colleges run spread offenses. An NFL team is not going to draft a wishbone or triple option QB, so why would they draft a spread QB??? There are a few exceptions like Dak Prescott who is obviously a smart QB, but the vast majority of these guys can't call a play, read defenses, or take a snap under center.

If I were a major college football coach I would run a pro-style offense and then recruit the best QB I can find. (i.e. Jimmy Johnson at Miami or Jim Harbaugh at Stanford) Easy sell....come to my team and you will get drafted. Go to Ohio State and forget about an NFL career.

[> [> Subject: Last year it was Marcus Mariota

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:27:11 01/21/17 Sat

You say this every year, always listing yet another "exception" to the rule.

[> [> Subject: The problem

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:43:59 01/21/17 Sat

College coaches get paid to win in college, not to coach up future NFLers. Conversely, they get fired from their big contracts if they don't win in college, regardless of how well their players do in the NFL.

Setting aside for the moment what is or is not a "spread" offense, winning in college these days is easier with the spread offense you dislike.

Nick Saban has done well even though many of his offensive players are NFL dud.

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:00 01/21/17 Sat

I hate spread football because it's like watching the Canadian Football League, everyone line up and go out for a pass. It's boring football. Where NFL teams the spread is just a formation and not their entire offense. Secondly it drives me nuts when teams go to the line of scrimmage in a set or nearly set position and then they look over to the sidelines two to three times. I guess the coaches think the players aren't smart enough to read a defense or audible a play. Let the kids play the game and not the coaches sitting up in the press box.

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:25:54 01/21/17 Sat

The nature of NFL scouting has changed quite a bit. The college all star games used to be about evaluating the best talent graduating and entering the draft. Now, since all the big name talent is too busy talking money and strategy with their agents, the all star games are about cobbling together the best of the rest and hoping there are some gems that can be polished.

I'm sure Torgersen will get a look in camp somewhere. He may even get lucky like Dalyn Williams and crack a roster spot.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.