VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: For those wishing to see an Ivy game on national TV

Author:
sparman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:53:48 01/26/17 Thu

Tonight on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) at 11:40, "Football Headliners 1955", highlights from 13 national college football games during the 1955 season, including Princeton-Yale.

I'll bet some posters were in attendance.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: For those wishing to see an Ivy game on national TV

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:56:31 01/26/17 Thu

Yes some were. Though I much prefer to watch the "Football at Yale The Story of a Tradition Part 4."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TajF_FxU2FA

Can't help get a lump in my throat when I watch the section on the 1960 team - seeing all those youthful faces of Pyle, Singleton, Blanchard, Wolf, Balme et al. in the last seconds of the video with the playing of Bright College Years in the background. Seems like yesterday How time flies.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: For those wishing to see an Ivy game on national TV

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:07 01/27/17 Fri

gentlemen;it was with great expectation after our earlier victory over the cadets i attended this contest before a sellout crowd in palmer stadium where the tigers mr flippin outplayed our blue signal caller mr loucks leading the tigers to a 13-0 shutout of our blue. for the record mr loucks did fumble on the tiger one yard and threw an interception to a tiger end for a touchdown at about our own ten yard line towards the end of the game.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: For those wishing to see an Ivy game on national TV

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:13 01/27/17 Fri

Old Blue, your memory is 100% on the mark. The plays that you describe were shown in the film, as was the individual battle between Loucks and Flippin. And I use the word "film" deliberately as this of course was not video. No, it was film, with the grainy imperfections whizzing by the field of vision on the screen and nice dramatic soundtrack (not hip hop) playing in the background.

It is a gift to those of us who are slightly younger to read your first-person accounts of these wonderful old contests, especially the season-end dramas against P and H. Please keep your stories and anecdotes coming.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: For those wishing to see an Ivy game on national TV

Author:
florida lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:34:54 01/27/17 Fri

Thanks to all of the above for the film references and comments. These memories should not be lost.

[> Subject: Re: For those wishing to see an Ivy game on national TV

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:59 01/27/17 Fri

One thing I have been preaching for years is for Cornell to build a second "Big Game" similar to the Harvard vs. Yale or Lehigh vs. Lafayette rivalry as our program could definitely use the additional revenue. It takes a lot of work and promotion, but an annual Cornell vs. Columbia game in NYC every year where we have a huge alumni base could really help both programs. Why should Harvard vs. Yale have all the fun???

[> [> Subject: That's pretty much what's happening

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:43:02 01/28/17 Sat

Cornell and Columbia are going to close the season starting in 2018.

Personally, I'm less bullish about the "big crowds" than you are for that matchup. But we will see.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.