VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Jeff Capel is Failing His Audition; Impact on Ivy League?

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:32:35 01/29/17 Sun

It looked like Jeff Capel, of all the high profile names in the Krzyzewski coaching tree, occupied the inside track in the race to succeed the great one when he finally steps down at Duke. It's pretty clear that Capel has failed miserably. There's no way that he gets the job now.

First of all, you've got to give Krzyzewski some credit. He gave to Capel the keys of a car that was running quite well and Capel immediately proceeded to drive the car off the road. That's another piece of evidence that K is as indispensable as ever, even given all of Duke's structural advantages. He is indeed the real deal.

I'm sure that guys like Brey, Amaker, Dawkins, Snyder et al have taken notice. Capel is out of the race. They're back in.

What does that mean for the Ivy League? Does Amaker think that he can win the Duke job from his perch in Cambridge? Well, if you want the ACC job, you'd better be kicking some serious butt in the Ivy League. Amaker was doing just that for four years, but fell off the pace last season.

Last night's Columbia game reminds us of his severe deficiencies at game management in the last two minutes of any tight contest. His inability to develop the highest profile recruit in the history of the AI era, Zena Edosomwan, reminds us that he can get the big names past the Harvard admissions department but they don't necessarily grow once in the door.

I think that Amaker needs to decide whether he wants the Duke job badly enough to manage his career to that end. I'm guessing that he will err on the side of caution and try to win at Harvard, rather than jump to, say, BC or Miami, two of the suitors he's turned down so far in favor of pay raises at Harvard.

He's going to try to win where he is in time to win the race before Krzyzewski steps down. So that means pushing the door even harder at the admissions department. Expect bigger and bigger names to be recruited and admitted at Harvard while the Krzyzewski race intensifies.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Jeff Capel is Failing His Audition; Impact on Ivy League?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:24 01/29/17 Sun

I should have mentioned Chris Collins by name as well. He's doing a phenomenal job this year. And winning at a place with Northwestern's academic restrictions is a plus for his candidacy. I'm sure that, if he and Amaker become finalists to replace Krzyzewski, he'll make the case that the academic limits he faces are as strict, if not more strict, than those Amaker faces.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.