VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: P-H Hoops

Author:
TigerFan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:02:51 02/04/17 Sat

Please publish more articles in the national press about the high priority basketball program that loses to the Tigers who are operating without two top players, in Cambridge. See you in Philadelphia, if you make it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: P-H Hoops

Author:
Bcolsonb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:36:33 02/05/17 Sun

Your sarcastic message about Harvard's loss at home to a solid Princeton team is not clever, interesting, or well-informed.

Having seen Harv play three times in person [including Friday's Penn game] and other games on the IvyNet, I see nothing terribly surprising in their results.

Despite the return of PG Chambers, the team is immature and plays that way, surrendering large first half leads; you may or may not be able to reel in the leading team during the second half.

Harv's speed and depth wore Penn down and produced a 10-point win-- against a much stronger Prin team that task is tougher.

Harv does not decide which media outlets want interviews. When Prin had Bill Bradley in the 60s there was plenty of understandable national interest and coverage.

Harv may or may not make it to Philly in March- 5 teams seem to be fighting for 4 spots- but two years from now, when these frosh and sophs have more flesh on their bones, you won't have any trouble recognizing that body.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Harvard Freshmen and Sophomores As Upperclassmen

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:30 02/05/17 Sun

What national media article is being discussed here?

I agree with Bcolsonb. In two years, when Harvard's current freshmen and sophomores are upperclassmen, this will be the most athletic basketball roster in Ivy League history. And that's saying something, given how athletic several of Amaker's recent teams have been.

I can't speak for TigerFan, but I think Bcolsonb's assertion might be what has TigerFan worked up. In 2011, Harvard successfully recruited the highest ranked player in the history of our conference, Zena Edosomwan. His academic qualifications were too poor to clear the minimum AI threshold, so he had to spend a PG year at Northfield Mount Hermon to accumulate some A's on his transcript. To offset the weakness from the lower AI scores of Harvard's best players, Amaker recruited another player from Zena's high school Harvard-Westlake. This second H-W student had SAT scores off the charts but incredibly, he was a player from JV team. That was a gaming of the AI system never before seen in our league.

Now, six years later, Zena is a senior but he is struggling for playing time because the new freshmen and sophomores are that much better. Amaker keeps raising the athleticism on his roster to ever unprecedented heights for an Ivy program. And the fear elsewhere in the conference is that accomplishment comes at the cost of lower academic qualifications. How many other AI boosters from high school JV rosters are being averaged into the Harvard AI to keep the team's mean score above "see level," where what the league "sees" is optically acceptable?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard Freshmen and Sophomores As Upperclassmen

Author:
TigerFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:15:32 02/07/17 Tue

I know, I know, SI isn't what it used to be.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/07/21/
This is a good locker room article.

Patrick School? Used to be St. Patrick's but couldn't make it. May exist due to its basketball program.

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:16:57 02/05/17 Sun

"If they make the tournament"? Come on, man.

Author:
Old Lion (One and done)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:32:40 02/05/17 Sun

Is Amaker pushing to go one and done?

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:02:46 02/06/17 Mon

Harvard gives away the game late gifting Princeton its first win at Lavieties this DECADE!

I know Princeton has injuries, but so did Harvard last year when it ELIMINATED PRINCETON last March.

This is a great rivalry that hopefully plays out at the Palestra in March

[> [> Subject: Re: P-H Hoops

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:42:19 02/06/17 Mon

Alternatively, Princeton gifted away a 14-point lead before making a gritty and inspired last second stand, for the 4th win in the past 10 games played at Cambridge, coupled with (I think) a 7-3 record the past 10 games played in NJ and 1-0 in playoff games.

But it is a nice rivalry, possibly almost as spirited as versus Penn these days.

[> [> Subject: Re: P-H Hoops

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:27:14 02/06/17 Mon

I agree, the game atmosphere for P vs. H and Y now both rival the Penn game; the old "2 P's and 6 dwarfs" is a distant memory and that is probably a good thing for the league. Yet I still believe the Penn and Princeton coaching staffs and alums, who have experienced the many epic battles over the decades between these teams, still place a special emphasis on this game.

[> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Penn Hoops

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:49:12 02/07/17 Tue

I may have short-changed student interest in this rivalry, here is the Penn paper's take on tonight's hoops tilt:

"In what’s likely the most anticipated sporting event on campus this year — this decade? — the Quakers will welcome hated Princeton to the Palestra on Tuesday night, engaging in the 236th edition of the Ivy League’s undisputed best basketball rivalry in what’s become a must-win for the Red and Blue to stay in conference tournament contention."

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Penn Hoops

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:07:10 02/07/17 Tue

If a further trouncing of an awful Penn basketball team is the
" the most anticipated sporting event on campus this year — this decade" it's been a petty crappy decade. My memory may not be what it used to be, but I think I remember Penn having won half the Ivy football championships this decade. Guess that doesn't matter much any more.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yep

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:46:00 02/07/17 Tue

If Penn ever gets good in basketball again, don't be surprised if the basketball team starts outdrawing the football team in attendance.

On average.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Penn Hoops

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:50:40 02/07/17 Tue

foehi hits it on the nose. Final 64-49 Tigers in a game that wasn't nearly that close. Ironic the Quakers won't make the tourney in a year when they luck into the home site.

Henderson really coaching great right now, after the loss of Brase and Caruso.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yep

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:44:27 02/08/17 Wed

And unless Princeton opens up the wallets, we can expect Henderson to be coaching elsewhere next season.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yoi never stop trying

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:35 02/08/17 Wed

Fortunately Dartmouth has the tournament to look forward to this season.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: You guys should be used to it by now

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:20:02 02/08/17 Wed

It's not like we haven't seen this movie before with Carmody, JTIII, and Johnson.

If Henderson does bolt for greener pastures, you may even be able to bring one of the former coaches back.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: You guys should be used to it by now

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:16:28 02/08/17 Wed

GG, sorry you're having such a slow year between Princeton football games. But, really now....

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: You're right about one thing

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:15:01 02/08/17 Wed

The AD seems to successfully deal with it whenever it does happen.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Indeed!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:10 02/08/17 Wed

http://www.thedp.com/article/2004/04/princeton_hires_scott_as_new_coach

Man were those good times!

http://goprincetontigers.com/news/2005/12/28/593558.aspx?path=mbball

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=253480163

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: One example from 10 yeats ago

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:29:59 02/08/17 Wed

Contrasted with Dartmouth's ongoing success rate.

You have issues.

[> Subject: Bad Decisions on The Final Sequence

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:53 02/07/17 Tue

I've had a chance to watch the final few minutes of the H-P game on ESPN3. A couple of thoughts:

Down three points with nine seconds left, Princeton's Myles Stephens passed up an open three-point attempt in favor of driving to the basket. Granted, he had what looked like an open path to the hoop but, with only nine ticks left in the game, I think he's got to take the shot from long-distance. Even a made lay-up leaves you down one with six seconds left. That's not enough time to make a drive superior to an open look for the tie.

Given Stephens' poor decision to drive to the rim with so little time left, there was only one bad option for Harvard: trying to contest the lay-up. And that is exactly what Justin Bassey did, sliding into the restricted area and committing the blocking foul. To me, that shows he's just not aware of the game situation. He was simply reacting, not thinking through a rational act. That's not a good look for the so-called scholar-athletes of the Ivy League.

Next, I noticed that Harvard had Lewis, Bassey and Johnson on the lane for Stephens' free throw attempt. Where was Edosomwan? Zena was the biggest, baddest guy on the floor. Not the most efficient but, for one critical rebound, I would have thought Amaker would choose to pair him with Lewis. As it was, Steven Cook out-jumped all three Harvard players under the basket to grab the rebound. Amazing feat.

Finally, I loved the play Amaker drew up for the final shot after Cook's put back. Corey Johnson had a good, clean look from just outside the arc. But he had jumped toward Lewis to receive the pass and his sideways momentum led to the shot being off target.

Fortunately for Stephens and Bassey, their bad decisions were soon swamped by the bad decisions made by Kyle Shanahan and Dan Quinn the next day. Worst decision-making ever in a Super Bowl. The Falcons deserved to lose.

[> [> Subject: Short memories

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:15:56 02/07/17 Tue

Not to defend the Falcons too much here, but if you're talking about the worst decision in a Super Bowl...

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/03/seattle-seahawks-super-bowl-interception

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Short memories

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:36:13 02/07/17 Tue

As soon as Sunday's game ended, I texted some Pats fans I know who were celebrating their improbable good fortune with their own text thread.

I compared the Falcons' bad decisions with Pete Carroll's. They're both terrible mistakes, but Shanahan and Quinn made several bad decisions in a row whereas Carroll only made one. That's not to excuse Carroll, but I rate the Falcons' stupidity as more egregious than the Seahawks.

And it's not inconsequential that the Seahawks were the defending Super Bowl champions. I give them credit for getting so close to becoming back-to-back winners. My prediction is that the Falcons will fade back into the pack, haunted by their terrible decision-making when the lights were on bright and the trophy was theirs for the taking with a 40-yard field goal attempt. Like Marshawn Lynch, they had the most reliable guy in the league to convert that attempt.

Do you think Bill Belichick would ever make that mistake? Never.

[> [> Subject: Re: Bad Decisions on The Final Sequence

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:35 02/11/17 Sat

Oh, a couple of final thoughts on this improbable sequence: Baker made a terrific length-of-the-court inbounds pass to Lewis, who also make a great play to corral the pass and in one motion get it to Johnson. Amaker drew up an excellent play, his team executed it almost flawlessly and they got a very good shot off.

After Johnson's shot bounced off the rim (straight up, sometimes those go in), most of the Tigers jumped around joyously. If you get a chance to watch any of the many embedded videos on various Ivy websites, keep an eye on Amir Bell, who had been covering Johnson. After the final buzzer, Bell walks off the court casually as if Princeton had just won by 20. There's something to be said for that kind of even-keeled emotional stability. He is one cool customer.

Tonight's game at John J should be a doozy in front of a full house.

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:01:58 02/11/17 Sat

Amaker won't use Zena to rebound in that situation because Harvard doesn't want Zena taking the foul shots that would come with 6 seconds left if he grabbed the rebound (or maybe even if he didn't). I believe this was a strategic and thoughtful decision.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Bad Decisions on The Final Sequence

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:08 02/11/17 Sat

That is a very plausible explanation for not using Zena on the Stephens foul shot.

It's a reasonable consideration and you must be correct because it's the only rationale which makes sense. Nevertheless, I still disagree with Amaker's decision because there were only six seconds left. If a rebound is available after a miss, there will only be three or four seconds left after the inevitable scrum.

With that little time left, I would place such a high priority on getting the rebound that I would be willing to tolerate giving the Tigers a final chance with two or three seconds left after Zena misses his free throw. Ironically, it's almost preferable to make Princeton go the length of the court after a defensive rebound on their own end than to let the Tigers inbound the ball with a set play. Harvard might actually prefer to have Zena miss, giving Princeton the rebound down one than have, say, Johnson make two but give Princeton a set play with three seconds left.

Either way, I think you are correct John Harvard. That must have been Amaker's thought process. Although by the same reasoning, Lewis is a huge liability out there as well. He had just clanked two free throw attempts a couple of possessions ago.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bad Decisions on The Final Sequence

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:04:43 02/12/17 Sun

Your analysis is sound. Interesting that Amaker left Zena in against Yale last night in a 4 point game. Apparently Coach Jones was screaming for his guys to foul Z.

Really too bad Harvard gave that win away. Would have made it quite a race for #1 seed. Not really a big deal though. Gotta win 2 games at the Palestra no matter what and top seed could still draw Penn "at home."

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Testing .....

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:08:21 02/13/17 Mon

Are we working?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: yes

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:31:37 02/13/17 Mon

10-4 over

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: yes

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:41:32 02/14/17 Tue

The intelligence community has cleared us of any seditious communications with the Russians or the NCAA.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: yes

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:18:39 02/14/17 Tue

In some cases there was already a surfeit of valuable blackmail material.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Self-blackmail

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:18:01 02/14/17 Tue

An interesting concept. Particularly regarding Ivy football.

Author:
Franklin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:26:48 02/14/17 Tue

If this were a BCS power conference and three tallish African-American players (6'9", 6'5" and 6'5") were outjumped by a no taller Caucasian player (6'5") for a game-deciding rebound, locker room decorum would require the three players to quit the program, drop out of school and join the witness protection program.

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:32:34 02/15/17 Wed

It seems probable that the Penn women's team will earn the #1 seed for the Ivy tournament and that the men will likely miss the field (although that remains very much an open question). Given that both tournaments are at The Palestra, that feels appropriate.

If the Penn women have home court advantage, at least they will have earned that advantage during the regular season. Similarly, I would prefer not to see a red-hot #4-seed Penn men's team have that advantage against any one of HYP.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.