VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Harvard Freshmen and Sophomores As Upperclassmen

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:45:30 02/05/17 Sun
In reply to: Bcolsonb 's message, "Re: P-H Hoops" on 08:36:33 02/05/17 Sun

What national media article is being discussed here?

I agree with Bcolsonb. In two years, when Harvard's current freshmen and sophomores are upperclassmen, this will be the most athletic basketball roster in Ivy League history. And that's saying something, given how athletic several of Amaker's recent teams have been.

I can't speak for TigerFan, but I think Bcolsonb's assertion might be what has TigerFan worked up. In 2011, Harvard successfully recruited the highest ranked player in the history of our conference, Zena Edosomwan. His academic qualifications were too poor to clear the minimum AI threshold, so he had to spend a PG year at Northfield Mount Hermon to accumulate some A's on his transcript. To offset the weakness from the lower AI scores of Harvard's best players, Amaker recruited another player from Zena's high school Harvard-Westlake. This second H-W student had SAT scores off the charts but incredibly, he was a player from JV team. That was a gaming of the AI system never before seen in our league.

Now, six years later, Zena is a senior but he is struggling for playing time because the new freshmen and sophomores are that much better. Amaker keeps raising the athleticism on his roster to ever unprecedented heights for an Ivy program. And the fear elsewhere in the conference is that accomplishment comes at the cost of lower academic qualifications. How many other AI boosters from high school JV rosters are being averaged into the Harvard AI to keep the team's mean score above "see level," where what the league "sees" is optically acceptable?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard Freshmen and Sophomores As Upperclassmen

Author:
TigerFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:15:32 02/07/17 Tue

I know, I know, SI isn't what it used to be.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/07/21/
This is a good locker room article.

Patrick School? Used to be St. Patrick's but couldn't make it. May exist due to its basketball program.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.