VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Penn State and Sandusky Jr. - Another Reason to Stay Ivy vs. Big-Time

Author:
florida lion
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:14:36 02/14/17 Tue
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "Re: Penn State and Sandusky Jr. - Another Reason to Stay Ivy vs. Big-Time" on 18:45:56 02/14/17 Tue

The Ivies aren't perfect, so no stones will be cast by me. It does seem, however, that the distortions, academic or otherwise, are much less than they are elsewhere. Ivy athletes participate in the same classes as the rest of the student body, and so on. Compare the graduation rates of the Ivy athletes with any other schools.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn State and Sandusky Jr. - Another Reason to Stay Ivy vs. Big-Time

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:49:11 02/14/17 Tue

First, I never used the phrase "academic distortions." I said distortions, period.

Second, the distortion I'm talking about is having a football coach be given higher earnings and more de facto authority than his org-chart boss, the university president. Boiling it all down, that is the root cause of the Penn State mess.

It's one thing for this model to set in at big-time programs. It's even worse when people fail to recognize how that's completely upside-down when it comes to governing an institution whose central purpose is the education of students.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn State and Sandusky Jr. - Another Reason to Stay Ivy vs. Big-Time

Author:
Diogenes (Boston/Florida lions)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:12:50 02/15/17 Wed

I conflated your two posts because I thought you were both referring to stretching Ivy admission standards for athletes--which if really a problem, pales in comparison to far more significant Ivy problems. With very few exceptions, Ivy athletes are extraordinary young people.

To the extent I misunderstood your two posts, my apologies.

The Penn State and Baylor situations are tragic and emblematic of problems which bedevil certain aspects of college athletics. What gets lost amidst the wreckage is the fact that most college athletes benefit from their experiences/studies, are decent people and go on to lead good lives.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn State and Sandusky Jr. - Another Reason to Stay Ivy vs. Big-Time

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:36 02/15/17 Wed

Agreed.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.