VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: This pretty much proves the pro-tourney peoples' points

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:05:37 02/19/17 Sun
In reply to: M3 's message, "Re: What the.....?" on 16:28:52 02/19/17 Sun

A year ago, nobody would care about any game not involving Princeton (and probably not even then even) at this point.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: This pretty much proves the pro-tourney peoples' points

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:08:35 02/19/17 Sun

GG, nobody in the anti-tourney crowd ever disputed the fact that holding a tourney keeps the suspense going through the championship game Sunday afternoon. That's common sense not subject to argument.

The anti-tourney crowd for the most part is not against fan interest, they just have a different set of values than you do. If -- and at this point, it's still a huge "if" -- Princeton wins the regular season, I don't think they should have to beat any more Ivy opponents to earn our automatic bid. The worst case scenario would be if the Tigers go 14-0 and wind up in the NIT.

That's not a question of fan interest, that's a question of what we think the regular season should mean. How much of your opinion is based upon the fact that Dartmouth can't win a 14-game regular season and would never in a million years go 14-0?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: This pretty much proves the pro-tourney peoples' points

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:54:38 02/19/17 Sun

GG is correct that the basketball tourney creates excitement/interest.

What it also means is that the winner of the regular season has a meaningless championship as it does not guarantee a spot in the NCAA playoffs.

Something wrong with that.

With Harvard clearly going national in terms of its program my best hope is that in the future the Ivy League will get potentially 2 slots in the tourney so that the regular season is not just a warm up for a 2 game season to see who goes to the national tournament.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: This pretty much proves the pro-tourney peoples' points

Author:
florida lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:13:04 02/19/17 Sun

M3. No argument from me on the cheapening of the regular season. The "wild card" concept has come to the Ivy League.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: We clearly have different defintions of "meaningless"

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:06:00 02/19/17 Sun

To me, a #1 seed in the league tournament and a guarantee that you won't do any worse than the NIT is not "meaningless."

And the rest of the world seems to be on my side on this point.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I find it interesting

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:01:42 02/20/17 Mon

That when you are in a clear minority you have no hesitation about calling the majority wrong, and now (if) you are in the majority you claim validation.

From where I sit, right or wrong depends on the arguments being made, not who or how many agree with you. As illustrious former Duke scholar Kyrie Irving recently pointed out, there was a time when most people thought the Earth was flat.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: "Vehemently suspect of heresy"

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:06:45 02/20/17 Mon

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.