VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 01:07:04 02/21/17 Tue

Okay, I just had an inspiration which will revolutionize all conference tournaments, not just ours. It simultaneously serves to mitigate the home court advantage for less deserving teams *AND* dramatically increases the value of the regular season. And I do mean "dramatically."

Are you ready for my game-changer? Put this in your pipe and smoke it.

(a) All teams are seeded according to the results of the regular season and agreed upon tie breaker rules.

(b) Once the regular season has concluded, the #1 seed gets to *CHOOSE* its first round opponent from *ALL* the qualifying tournament teams. Then the #2 seed selects its first round opponent from the remaining teams (assuming that the #1 seed did not select the #2 seed for its first game). Then the other teams select in order as well, whether the first round is the quarterfinal round, the semifinals or some more complicated bye bracket (in which case the highest team which doesn't earn a bye chooses first).

(c ) For the second round, the highest remaining seed once again gets to *CHOOSE* its second round opponent. Then the second highest remaining seed chooses.

This system gives a big big advantage to the #1 seed as they always get to play against the *SPECIFIC* team which they think presents the best match-ups, maximizing their chance to move on. It might be the worst regular season finisher, but maybe not. The #1 seed always gets to avoid the team it most wants to avoid until the final, giving the #1 seed the most chances for that opponent to lose. Similarly, the #2 seed gets a very substantial advantage as well.

In a situation like a potential red-hot Penn hosting at The Palestra, #1 seed Princeton or Harvard could simply choose to play Yale in the first round, delaying their exposure Penn's home court advantage for at least one round.

And to the extent that at least part of the objective in holding a tournament is to generate fan interest, media discussion and general buzz, what could be better than kicking off weeks of speculation and analysis: Whom should Princeton or Harvard select as their first round opponent? Would you rather play a higher-finishing Yale than Penn? Which match-ups do you prefer?

Think of the media event this would create: On the Monday morning after the regular season, the coaches who want to travel to New York City do that and the other ones call in via teleconference. With all the reporters in attendance, Robin Harris asks, say, Mitch Henderson, "Who do you select?"

This works even better for a bigger conference like the ACC, with 15 teams. How awesome would this media event be as first Roy Williams, then Rick Pitino, then Mike Krzyzewski make their selections? That is live television **GOLD**!!

Imagine the tweet storm and the howls of laughter when Roy Williams walks over on the stage to Kevin Stallings and sheepishly announces, "I pick Pitt. . ." The television selection show would be the most eagerly awaited event of the season, surpassing everything except the championship game itself. And you get to do it again every round except the final!

I have revolutionized conference tournaments. You're welcome.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:49:08 02/21/17 Tue

I'm reading a bio of Stonewall Jackson. This proposal, while potentially entertaining, sounds like it would have been popular with George McLellan. And we know how history has treated him.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: hey Cal

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:51:57 02/21/17 Tue

I lived in the birthplace of ole Stonewall Clarksburg WV for 5 yrs in the late 70's early 80's

[> [> [> Subject: Is that 1970s?

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:40 02/21/17 Tue

Or 1870s? Kind of hard to tell the difference, eh?

[> [> Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:46:51 02/22/17 Wed

McClellan

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:27:49 02/22/17 Wed

I was probably asleep a the switch, but in keeping with current environment I will blame demonic activity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/02/22/demonic-activity-palpable-at-president-trumps-rally-pastor-says/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news&utm_term=.06f22046dd98

[> Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:27:52 02/21/17 Tue

Actually this won't work for live TV. The rights holders will want all games in one location, with dates/times certain. This helps them plan production budgets, preproduction meetings, crew travel and a whole lot of other items that go into a TV production that most people don't know or care to know about.

You tend to think that casual fans care about the coaches, players and teams participating. They don't. They care about the drama unfolding in a winner-take-all scenario.

The reason why the NCAA tournament is the cultural event that it is has to do with the elimination threat. "Thrill of victory and agony of defeat," if you will. That, and gambling.

It's one of the reason why the NHL abandoned ties. Purists hate it, but the league has increased ratings every year, especially in markets which are not hockey hotbeds (Nashville, etc.)

Nobody cares about contrivances like "pick your opponent" they like seeing winning and losing. That may work with FIFA and UEFA with big draw celebrations - but it doesn't work with most American sports fans.

Either the Ivy League wants to be part of the NCAA Division I sports/cultural landscape or it doesn't. If it does, it has to present its product to consumers the way the public wants to consume it. Otherwise, D3 works fine.

And if the events of November 8 haven't made it clear... now is NOT the time to double down on an elitist "we know better than everyone else" philosophy as it pertains to operating Division 1 sports programs, at least in the area of marketing to a general population.

[> [> Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:51 02/21/17 Tue

observer (lower case "o", not 0), my revolutionary idea does not change the location or anything else about the logistics or mechanics of the tournament. If the Ivies want to have the tournament at a pre-determined location at a pre-determined time to facilitate television, hotels, tickets et cetera, that can all be accommodated.

The only change I'm proposing is letting the remaining highest seeds choose their opponent for each round. The games go on the same way. You will still have your "winner take all" drama.

In fact, if drama is your goal, my idea is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You think that the NCAA Sunday night selection show is dramatic? How about having Roy Williams getting the chance to humiliate some other ACC coach on national television by saying, "Of all 15 ACC teams, I would most like to play you, Kevin Stallings." Then Rick Pitino goes, and so on.

And when the inevitable upset does eventually occur, think about all the off season speculation and fan debate. "Williams was an idiot to select Pitt in the first round. North Carolina matches up much better against Boston College. . . ." That is irresistible catnip for rabid sports fans.

If you support the NHL getting rid of ties for the sake of excitement, you're gonna love my "Tournament Selection Show," and I do mean "selection," literally.

[> Subject: Like

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:44 02/21/17 Tue

I like it.
Possibly because I had come up with a similar plan for sports playoffs that involve a "best of" series rather than a single game: let the higher seed choose which games it hosts. If travel expense is an issue, place a maximum on how many back-and-forth trips their choice can generate.

Beyond that, I like the "bulletin board material" nature of the selection process, as well. "The number one seed thinks we're the easiest path to the next round? We'll show them!"

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:49:16 02/21/17 Tue

And can you imagine if you are the first seed, you pick a team and then get blown out????????

Author:
gags (Will Do)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:42:50 02/22/17 Wed

I will tell my Uncle Leo that An Observer pulled all the strings behind the scenes.

[> Subject: We Need Vince McMahon and the XFL

Author:
George
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:11:30 02/24/17 Fri

This idea is so good that it's almost too good. It upsets the old order so much that it would make too many people uncomfortable, especially coaches.

What you need is a marketer or commissioner in some relatively obscure conference who is desperate for publicity. That's not quite so unlikely as most of the one-bid conferences hold a tournament in part for the publicity.

A natural promoter like Vince McMahon when he launched the XFL would love this idea to pair tournament opponents.

[> Subject: Here Comes A **SECOND** Great Idea For Conference Tournaments

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:27:20 02/26/17 Sun

Wow, I can't believe how rapidly I'm having great ideas to revolutionize conference tournaments. I feel like Albert Einstein in 1905, where in a span of four months, he revolutionized modern physics, publishing his papers on special relativity and E = mc^2. That was in Switzerland, before he took up residence at Dillon Gym to cheer on the Tigers.

Okay, here's my second breakthrough idea within a few days.

This year highlights the inevitable problem we would have had at some point in time regardless. Penn might be hosting the men's tournament as a #4 seed, facing a semifinal opponent which might have run through the regular season undefeated. In the words of Einstein, "That ain't right."

The Palestra is without question our conference's "best" facility, but we can't seriously considering having it as the permanent home for the tournament because Penn is a perennial contender.

Some conferences put their tournaments at the site of the highest seed. That's the fairest and most logical option but it creates logistical problems for ESPN and other administrative details.

How about this? We ask ESPN, "When is the latest in the regular season we can give you the site of the season-end tournament without creating problems for you?" They will probably want a two- or three-week headstart at the longest.

Here's my insight: We hold the tournament at the school which is leading the regular season standings **AT THE DATE** which ESPN gives us. Say it's February 18 or 25. That's when we lock the location.

It still gives ESPN two or three weeks to plan their trucks and cameras. The league office has that window to reserve hotel rooms and so forth. But it puts more value on earning the top seed so you can host.

Now what of the fact that, at this point, the league wants to combine the men's and women's tournaments into one event? Here's my E = mc^2 contribution after my theory of special relativity above:

The site is determined on February 18 or 25 based upon the **COMBINED** records of the men's and women's teams. Penn fans should love this, given how dominant Mike McLaughlin's machine looks in West Philly.

So the regular season will have a great natural rhythm. The first division teams will be fighting like crazy to be on top of the mountain by February 18 or 25. Once that's set, everybody else will focus on who will earn the their way into the tournament itself.

My idea mitigates the phenomenon we had this year when too much attention is being paid to 4-8 or 5-7 teams compared to a 12-0 Princeton or 10-2 Harvard. Prior to February 18 or 25, everybody will be talking about whether Harvard can catch Princeton to host the tournament, while keeping an eye on the women's side as well.

The eight women's coaches should **LOVE** my idea because their programs will be treated pari passu with the men, increasing their exposure and the attention they receive.

Once again, I have revolutionized conference tournaments. Your reaction?

[> [> Subject: Re: Here Comes A **SECOND** Great Idea For Conference Tournaments

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:24:53 02/26/17 Sun

Do it every year at Madison Square Garden.

Tons of Ivy alums in the metro area and it is a classy address.

Author:
NYCblue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:49:24 03/01/17 Wed

I like the MSG idea as well.

Author:
Pat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:18:51 03/02/17 Thu

Why not rotate it amoung other locations?

[> Subject: Schedule Cornell @ Brown on Sunday Afternoon

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:32:57 03/02/17 Thu

Here's an idea for just this year. Given that there is a chance that choosing the fourth seed between Penn and Columbia might be determined by the results of Saturday's Cornell at Brown game, let's reschedule it to Sunday afternoon.

This will allow busloads of Quaker and Lion fans to make the trip to Providence. After the final buzzer, they can then storm the court, celebrating jubilantly while the unaffected Cornell and Brown players walk off the court nonchalantly.

This is what the season has boiled down to.

[> [> Subject: Re: Schedule Cornell @ Brown on Sunday Afternoon

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:45 03/02/17 Thu

Despite the attempted snark, the season still boils down to next weekend at the Palestra.

Or maybe *you* only care about the 4th seed.

Think about what you are saying... the last game of the season will have meaning in at least 3 of the 4 matchups... whereas under the old rules, by last weekend 6 of 8 teams would have been eliminated, making about 10 games meaningless in the final two weekends.

The anti-tourney people keep shooting themselves in the foot by bringing up the fact that all the pro-tourney people have mentioned for years, namely that the value of the entire 14-game season FOR EACH SCHOOL, not just the frontrunners, is enhanced when there is something on the line.

[> Subject: MSG

Author:
IvySportsJunkie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:38 03/02/17 Thu

I like MSG as well since it is so central to the entire league and has so many alums from all our schools living within 3 hour drive of MSG (subject to rush hour).

The Ivies would have to end our season one week earlier since the Big East tournament ties up the prime time slots on Wednesday to Saturday next week.

[> [> Subject: Re: MSG

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:50:34 03/02/17 Thu

MSG never will happen.

1) Too expensive
2) Booked - by TWO conferences already (B1G and Big East)
3) Too expensive
4) Too expensive

Same for Barclays, hosting ACC for the next 2 years.

Prudential Center, Westchester Civic Center and the new Nassau Coliseum... those might be options.

If the money isn't an object, then maybe Boston TD Shawmut Fleet Garden Center or Wells Fargo/Wachovia/FU Center could come into play... but highly unlikely.

Author:
Brownie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:40:11 03/02/17 Thu

How about the Dunkin DOughnuts Center in Providence?

Author:
Sr Punter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:45:49 03/02/17 Thu

Mohegan Arena, Uncasville,CT.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.