VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:27:52 02/21/17 Tue
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments" on 01:07:04 02/21/17 Tue

Actually this won't work for live TV. The rights holders will want all games in one location, with dates/times certain. This helps them plan production budgets, preproduction meetings, crew travel and a whole lot of other items that go into a TV production that most people don't know or care to know about.

You tend to think that casual fans care about the coaches, players and teams participating. They don't. They care about the drama unfolding in a winner-take-all scenario.

The reason why the NCAA tournament is the cultural event that it is has to do with the elimination threat. "Thrill of victory and agony of defeat," if you will. That, and gambling.

It's one of the reason why the NHL abandoned ties. Purists hate it, but the league has increased ratings every year, especially in markets which are not hockey hotbeds (Nashville, etc.)

Nobody cares about contrivances like "pick your opponent" they like seeing winning and losing. That may work with FIFA and UEFA with big draw celebrations - but it doesn't work with most American sports fans.

Either the Ivy League wants to be part of the NCAA Division I sports/cultural landscape or it doesn't. If it does, it has to present its product to consumers the way the public wants to consume it. Otherwise, D3 works fine.

And if the events of November 8 haven't made it clear... now is NOT the time to double down on an elitist "we know better than everyone else" philosophy as it pertains to operating Division 1 sports programs, at least in the area of marketing to a general population.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:51 02/21/17 Tue

observer (lower case "o", not 0), my revolutionary idea does not change the location or anything else about the logistics or mechanics of the tournament. If the Ivies want to have the tournament at a pre-determined location at a pre-determined time to facilitate television, hotels, tickets et cetera, that can all be accommodated.

The only change I'm proposing is letting the remaining highest seeds choose their opponent for each round. The games go on the same way. You will still have your "winner take all" drama.

In fact, if drama is your goal, my idea is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You think that the NCAA Sunday night selection show is dramatic? How about having Roy Williams getting the chance to humiliate some other ACC coach on national television by saying, "Of all 15 ACC teams, I would most like to play you, Kevin Stallings." Then Rick Pitino goes, and so on.

And when the inevitable upset does eventually occur, think about all the off season speculation and fan debate. "Williams was an idiot to select Pitt in the first round. North Carolina matches up much better against Boston College. . . ." That is irresistible catnip for rabid sports fans.

If you support the NHL getting rid of ties for the sake of excitement, you're gonna love my "Tournament Selection Show," and I do mean "selection," literally.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.