VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Paul Lopata - Yale great

Author:
remember it well
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:50:29 02/22/17 Wed

From the New Haven Register:

Paul Lopata, one of Yale football’s all-time greats, died last month in Arizona at age 81. A three-sport high school star in Pennsylvania, he turned down Michigan State and Penn State to attend Yale, a fine offensive end that twice earning All-Ivy League honors and a third-team All-American in 1956.

He led the team in receiving three straight years, and caught a touchdown pass in Yale’s stunning 14-12 victory over Army before 61,000 at the Yale Bowl in 1955, its first win over the Cadets in 16 years and last until another upset victory 59 years later.

The Ivy League selected him to its all-decade team of the 1950s. Yale named him to its All-Yale Bowl Era team in 2014. Lopata turned down the Washington Redskins, who drafted him in 1957, at time when traveling salesmen made more money than most NFL players.

Bob Mobley, in an email to Yale classmates, said, “In an era when football players didn’t swagger or jump around on the field pumping their arms up and down in self-promotion, Paul proved himself over and over by his quiet performance. ... An unusually fine individual, he was a man who lived his values. He was modest, he was friendly with everyone, and he always was positive and upbeat, even when the storms were blowing.”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Paul Lopata - Yale great

Author:
old blue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:27 02/22/17 Wed

gentlemen;sad to hear one of our great blue's has passed. a true gentlemen and outstanding player who stood out on one of our best squads ever in 1956.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:30:59 02/22/17 Wed

Unfortunately, I never saw him play in person, my first Yale game was in '59, but I've seen his catch against Army many times on film (and now on YouTube)

R.I.P.

[> Subject: Odd quote

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:37:33 02/22/17 Wed

No disrespect, but Mr. Mobley basically just said that Mr. Lopata acted like everyone else by returning to the huddle/sidelines after a big play rather than engaging in antics. Surely there are better ways to praise Lopata?

YMMV, but that came across to me as more as criticizing later-day players than celebrating Lopata.

[> [> Subject: It's not so odd

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:06:07 02/22/17 Wed

But I can understand why those who brag repeatedly about their rings would feel it was a shot close to home.

[> [> [> Subject: Duly noted for when its your time

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:15:32 02/22/17 Wed

If you're comfortable with your contemporaries using your passing to express disapproval of the Hollywood Hendersons, Deion Sanders, and Terrell Owens of the world, have at it.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Probably too challenging a concept for a lawyer to understand

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:19:21 02/23/17 Thu

Not going to affect me at that time since I'm not a Shirley McLaine type, but personally I would prefer to have people remark about humility rather than braggadoccio, if it applies.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Sounds great, except that's not what happened

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:51:15 02/23/17 Thu

Had Mobley said something like "Lopata epitomized a bygone era where players returned quietly to the huddle or sidelines after making a big play," nobody would have raised any eyebrows.

Instead, he chose to use the words he used. It came across more of a reminder why Yale felt it necessary to rename Calhoun College.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sounds great, except that's not what happened

Author:
Old Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:50:02 02/23/17 Thu

I find that interpretation utterly ridiculous

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Sounds great, except that's not what happened

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:48:22 02/24/17 Fri

Feel free to print out the quote and tape it up on the wall of Yale's football offices.

Let us know what happens.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: This is pathetic

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:57:12 02/24/17 Fri

Not getting enough traction in your ongoing effort to create a rivalry with other schools?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: This is pathetic

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:36:53 02/24/17 Fri

Blue is the new black. Yale is the new Princeton. Calhoun is the new Wilson.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Alas

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:00:35 02/24/17 Fri

Green will always be Green.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Well that's a weird way of going about it, isn't it?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:52:28 02/24/17 Fri

Saying "hey buddy, you might be rubbing people the wrong way with that stuff" is an odd way to drum up a rivalry.

If I wanted to hurt Yale, I would post the quote on their football offices myself.

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:28:35 02/22/17 Wed

Condolences to his family, friends and Yale. Very sad to see the passing of some of the great ones.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.