VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: We Need Vince McMahon and the XFL

Author:
George
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:11:30 02/24/17 Fri
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Please Give Me Credit When This Idea Revolutionizes Conference Tournaments" on 01:07:04 02/21/17 Tue

This idea is so good that it's almost too good. It upsets the old order so much that it would make too many people uncomfortable, especially coaches.

What you need is a marketer or commissioner in some relatively obscure conference who is desperate for publicity. That's not quite so unlikely as most of the one-bid conferences hold a tournament in part for the publicity.

A natural promoter like Vince McMahon when he launched the XFL would love this idea to pair tournament opponents.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Here Comes A **SECOND** Great Idea For Conference Tournaments

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:27:20 02/26/17 Sun

Wow, I can't believe how rapidly I'm having great ideas to revolutionize conference tournaments. I feel like Albert Einstein in 1905, where in a span of four months, he revolutionized modern physics, publishing his papers on special relativity and E = mc^2. That was in Switzerland, before he took up residence at Dillon Gym to cheer on the Tigers.

Okay, here's my second breakthrough idea within a few days.

This year highlights the inevitable problem we would have had at some point in time regardless. Penn might be hosting the men's tournament as a #4 seed, facing a semifinal opponent which might have run through the regular season undefeated. In the words of Einstein, "That ain't right."

The Palestra is without question our conference's "best" facility, but we can't seriously considering having it as the permanent home for the tournament because Penn is a perennial contender.

Some conferences put their tournaments at the site of the highest seed. That's the fairest and most logical option but it creates logistical problems for ESPN and other administrative details.

How about this? We ask ESPN, "When is the latest in the regular season we can give you the site of the season-end tournament without creating problems for you?" They will probably want a two- or three-week headstart at the longest.

Here's my insight: We hold the tournament at the school which is leading the regular season standings **AT THE DATE** which ESPN gives us. Say it's February 18 or 25. That's when we lock the location.

It still gives ESPN two or three weeks to plan their trucks and cameras. The league office has that window to reserve hotel rooms and so forth. But it puts more value on earning the top seed so you can host.

Now what of the fact that, at this point, the league wants to combine the men's and women's tournaments into one event? Here's my E = mc^2 contribution after my theory of special relativity above:

The site is determined on February 18 or 25 based upon the **COMBINED** records of the men's and women's teams. Penn fans should love this, given how dominant Mike McLaughlin's machine looks in West Philly.

So the regular season will have a great natural rhythm. The first division teams will be fighting like crazy to be on top of the mountain by February 18 or 25. Once that's set, everybody else will focus on who will earn the their way into the tournament itself.

My idea mitigates the phenomenon we had this year when too much attention is being paid to 4-8 or 5-7 teams compared to a 12-0 Princeton or 10-2 Harvard. Prior to February 18 or 25, everybody will be talking about whether Harvard can catch Princeton to host the tournament, while keeping an eye on the women's side as well.

The eight women's coaches should **LOVE** my idea because their programs will be treated pari passu with the men, increasing their exposure and the attention they receive.

Once again, I have revolutionized conference tournaments. Your reaction?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Here Comes A **SECOND** Great Idea For Conference Tournaments

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:24:53 02/26/17 Sun

Do it every year at Madison Square Garden.

Tons of Ivy alums in the metro area and it is a classy address.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.