VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn

Author:
observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:58:23 02/27/17 Mon
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn" on 14:37:10 02/26/17 Sun

something to note...

all those tourney haters seem to be spending an awful lot of time talking about the final two weeks of a basketball season... which would have eliminated all but two teams entering last weekend under previous rules.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:34:24 02/27/17 Mon

Assuming for the moment that this generalization is correct, as compared to comments from previous seasons - I don't think it is a good thing to have extensive comments over the odd results tournament rules can produce.

And I still believe the objective of competitive sports is not to generate internet comments but to determine a winner, which, judging by every post-game comment, seems to be the concern of every commenter here about every team their school puts on the field.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn

Author:
Eastern Sports Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:49:12 02/27/17 Mon

Unless a miracle occurs along the level of Patriot's Super Bowl comeback, #2 Harvard will play #3 Yale and #1 Princeton will play #4 Penn or Columbia. Princeton may be first immediate victim of this crazy tournament decision.

[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:04:27 02/27/17 Mon

The Ivy Tournament represents a very clear trade-off between rewarding the accomplishments of the winner of the 14-game round robin grind versus stoking the hopes and dreams of the rest of the league to get to the Big Dance by winning a 2-games-in-24-hours crapshoot.

It is interesting to read the comments of Penn fans on the Ivy hoops message board, some of whom are incensed that the arcane tie-breaking rules could allow the last weekend results of the also-also-rans (i.e., the bottom 3 teams) to affect Penn's chances of qualifying for the league tournament. Imagine the injustice if a team that failed to perform during the regular season could somehow undermine the fortunes of a team that won more games! But if that does not happen, the 7-7 Quakers will be playing at home against the likely 14-0 or 13-1 Princeton team that must win the league title twice in order to play in the NCAA's.

That outcome seems to mostly bother Tiger fans, at least this season, but many of us would feel the same way if Penn was the regular season champ. This year Harvard will be the ultimate beneficiaries of the new league tourney since they (probably) can get to the league finals without having to play the Quakers on their court and get a second bite at the apple to be awarded the Ivy's automatic bid.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:55:18 02/27/17 Mon

Interesting that the women have a lookalike tournament where it's becoming more and more likely that Princeton's only chance to go to the NCAA's will be via the tourney.

But - that tourney has a lot of intrique that's building. Penn's Sydney Stipanovich hasn't regained form since injuring an ankle. This helped Yale knock off Penn two weekends ago. Yale just beat a strong Harvard team this past weekend and the Tigers dumped one to a pretty good Cornell team. So - the women's tourney could be wide open and this season is certainly still alive and very relevant for a number of teams.

Under the old rules, it would be over for 6 teams with only Princeton having a longshot chance to catch Penn.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:56:48 02/27/17 Mon

This Tiger fan has opposed a post-season Ivy tournament as a one bid League ever since the subject has been discussed here, quite a few years ago. That includes through the more than a few years where our only shot at the NCAAs was a post-season.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn

Author:
jerrylh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:43 02/28/17 Tue

Hi Bengal
As a Tiger grad and fan, let me suggest another way to look at this.
First of all, whoever gets in isn't going to go very far. Once in a while an Ivy team will upset another higher rated team in the first round, but that's it.

Second-it adds to the excitement at the end of the year and gives us more Ivy League basketball (which I love).

Lastly, if you assume Princeton doesn't win out, they will certainly get a bid from the NIT where they will have a chance to make some noise.

Just a different way to look at it.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy Tournament Motivation: Harvard at Penn

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:18 02/28/17 Tue

Thanks, Jerrylh; I enjoy your posts.

There are trade-offs, and this is admittedly all a matter of opinion. You are right, there are more teams with a stake in the end of season Ivy games than otherwise. And as soon as one person goes through the turnstile at the Palestra for the tourney and flips on the espn coverage (it will be interesting to see how big/small that audience is), there is more visibility. Neither, in my opinion, justifies denying the League regular season winner of a bid for reasons I explained earlier.

As I have said for a long time, there are ways for Ivy administrations to boost the quality of their basketball teams under the rules. One school, north of us, decided to do just that.

The NIT, certainly for some time, IMO, is a not a worthy substitute for an NCAA bid. And if it is, why is that not incentive for at least some Ivy teams in a given year to keep playing to the end of the season with a post-season goal in mind?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: YMMV, but

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:01 02/28/17 Tue

Everyone agree that if you're going to go one-and-done, better to do so in the NCAA rather than the NIT.

Less obvious is a big run in the NIT against a one-and-done in the NCAA.

I was at the 1999 NIT quarterfinal between Princeton and Xavier. Princeton sure looked like they were having fun, whereas Penn got bounced (again) in the NCAA the previous week. It really would have been something if Princeton had won in Cincinnati to advance to New York, but they came up a bit short...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: YMMV, but

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:22:40 02/28/17 Tue

With the subsequent enlargement of the NCAA field, and the lower criteria for participating in the NIT, though, far better to have run the table in 1975. I am glad you enjoyed the Xavier game in '99, but....1975, at the mecca of eastern college hoops. That was the NIT tourney to follow!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Will take your word for it!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:51:48 02/28/17 Tue

I was in pre-school in 1975. :)

All that being said, even if Princeton somehow blows it in the Ivy tourney, chances are pretty good that the Tigers will still be playing a week after the Ivy NCAA rep (whoever that may be) gets bounced.

If not two weeks.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Will take your word for it!

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:11:37 02/28/17 Tue

Blows it in the Ivy tourney? We have shown in the recent past we can blow it in the regular season, which is not over yet this year.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Will take your word for it!

Author:
Old Tiger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:44:51 03/01/17 Wed

Good point.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.