VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ivy BB Tourney/ NYT Article/Sweaty Unis

Author:
M3
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 06:49:46 03/03/17 Fri

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/sports/ncaabasketball/ivy-league-conference-ncaa-tournament.html?action=click&contentCollection=sports®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

"Minimalism has long been an Ivy League calling card; most teams still don’t print players’ names on the back of their jerseys, and home teams still wear their road uniforms on the Saturdays after Friday night games to spare their visitors a laundry crisis."

Are you telling me that Ivy teams wear the same sweaty unwashed uniforms on Saturday night.?

Though I am not in favor of the tourney the article is compelling and I can live with it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Ivy BB Tourney/ NYT Article/Sweaty Unis

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:04 03/03/17 Fri

Pretty sure that the home/away unis are a relatively recent trend. I'm remembering that the home team wore white both nights in the 1990s and some of the 2000s.

I had always assumed that the visitors brought two sets of travel jerseys on weekend trips and that the league went with the home/away unis to cut costs.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Ivy BB Tourney/ NYT Article/Sweaty Unis

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:39:23 03/03/17 Fri

The absence of names on uniforms could be to protect anonymity of players on 2-12 teams.

[> [> [> Subject: Dio was right about one thing

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:54:54 03/03/17 Fri

The Board wouldn't be the same without Calvin.

It would be better.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Flattered by the attention, but

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:28 03/03/17 Fri

"Nobody forces you to read my posts"

(GG, to others)

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Ivy BB Tourney/ NYT Article/Sweaty Unis

Author:
Diogenes (Calvin)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:15 03/03/17 Fri

Good one!! Hopefully, Dartmouth will put that up in its locker room as a motivator.

FWIW, Dartmouth is a much better team this year. The new coaching staff and the players have really pulled together. If there are other Ivy players who are better than Boudreaux, I haven't seen them. The program is, hopefully, on its way to much better times.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Spieth?

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:52:36 03/03/17 Fri

someone in the know would take him over Evan, he said he was a great passer and silky smooth

BTW count me as one of those guys that love Cal's post

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Spieth?

Author:
Diogenes (holtsledge)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:05:22 03/03/17 Fri

I watched this year's Brown games on ILDN. Boudreaux outplayed Spieth (who's a fine player) in both games--at least to my eyes. That's not a knock on Spieth, just a reflection on Boudreaux's superb skills.

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:55 03/03/17 Fri

Making and winning the tournament is obviously the only way Penn could go to the NCAA. This won't happen and it shouldn't. They aren't good enough and they haven't earned their way. The tournament is dopey. I hope nobody shows up.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:17:25 03/03/17 Fri

Names on the hockey unis -- required by the ECAC as I understand -- actually are jarring given how clean all the other Ivy sports are. Names are a relic of a bygone era -- like TV numbers on shoulder pads -- and should be dumped in team sports.

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:05:53 03/03/17 Fri

I liked having my name on my jersey. I'd imagine other players did as well.

Teevens put the names on the jerseys in 1987. Lyons continued the practice. They took them off in the late 1990s. Whether that was a league edict or a cost-cutting measure on Dartmouth's part, I have no idea.

[> [> Subject: I had Bob Blackman as a coach and a warrior's head on my jersey

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:16:34 03/03/17 Fri

Don't remember anybody complaining that we didn't have our names on our jerseys.

[> [> [> Subject: Perhaps not, but

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:50 03/03/17 Fri

People did complain about the warrior head.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Perhaps not, but

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:43:47 03/03/17 Fri

True. Most people did complain because the warrior head was removed from the jersey.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Can't tell if you meant

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:05 03/03/17 Fri

"Most people complained, and therefore, the warrior head was removed."

or

"Most people complained about the removal of the warrior head."

In any event, names on college football jerseys didn't take off until the 1980s. I'm sure some older guys disapproved at the time, just like I disapprove of the black "home" jerseys with minimal green today.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Black uniforms instead of green a sign of mourning

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:12 03/03/17 Fri

The black uniforms are a sign that Dartmouth is mourning the loss of itself.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Indeed

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:26:32 03/03/17 Fri

Look at those tears:

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=48874&SPID=4719&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=11600&PALBID=1701758

Even with last season, I'm pretty sure we have a pretty good record overall with the black unis. So there's that.

[> [> [> Subject: The timeline

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:55 03/03/17 Fri

AI introduced in 1980s.

DC adds names to jerseys in late 80's.

Correlation between new generation of AI admits and need to spell out names for everyone?

We report. You decide.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Backwards

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:01:46 03/03/17 Fri

Wouldn't the pre-AI guys be the ones who needed the names spelled out? Dartmouth's (and Yale's) fortunes nosedived because we complied with the AI rules immediately. Others (Penn) took longer to do so.

My recollection is that Cornell had names on the backs of their football jerseys as well in that era. When they started and stopped, I cannot recall.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: You're a lawyer

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:50 03/03/17 Fri

Can't you sue the person who is forcing you to read all my posts? Or is too awkward to be both plaintiff and defendant in the same proceeding?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: That's the thanks I get?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:14:52 03/03/17 Fri

Fine, next time I won't correct you and let everyone else laugh at you when you repeat the error.

[> Subject: Player Names on The Backs of Uniforms

Author:
Turner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:16 03/03/17 Fri

I believe that the only player names currently on the back of Ivy uniforms are all the men's and women's hockey teams as well as the Harvard men's basketball team, our only professional team. Is that correct?

[> [> Subject: Re: Player Names on The Backs of Uniforms

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:53:25 03/03/17 Fri

I was gonna stay out of this one, but watching Amaker's brigade in their road black unis with names and without any hint of red is just too much. What the hell are they trying to prove?

Tigers 41-32 at the half.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:46:08 03/03/17 Fri

Harvard men's basketball IS a professional operation and is the most corrupted Ivy program in recent memory. Recruiting violations, booster groups, and cheating scandals are terms that USED to be common in the other beyond-the-pale conferences, but now fair Harvard has shown real leadership (sarcasm) in bringing those shabby practices to our league. They should be shown the door, but, of course, they won't. Don't forget to shop at Staples.

[> [> Subject: Of course, they won't

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:01:04 03/03/17 Fri

As John Lyons once said:

"Harvard does whatever the hell they want."

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Of course, they won't

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:42 03/03/17 Fri

I'm an H alum, but I still completely disapprove of what they're doing. The rest of the group could easily function without them and carry on as the Ivy League, so the other seven should just cast off and let them chart their own course alone. IMHO, they would eventually come to regret that decision.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Of course, they won't

Author:
Drew24
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:42:08 03/05/17 Sun

How do you feel about Tim Murphy out of curiosity? He has stashed top recruits at prep school (including a recent Ivy Defensive player of the year) and gets a cash bonus for beating Yale from the booster club?

Plus let's face it 30 recruits for football per year in Ivy is absurd...by definition every Ivy FB coach is recruiting academic superstars that will never see the field of play to offset low band kids in every single recruiting class....so your criticism of Amaker applies to every FB coach in the league...

BTW, why does the Ivies need 120 recruited FB players when Div 1 only needs 85?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Of course, they won't

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:11 03/09/17 Thu

I haven't read that any alum has committed to double Murphy's pay in the way that has been done for Amaker. The rule used to be that no H coach could earn more than the most highly paid faculty member. So H drove around that rule by using an alum's promise to pay Amaker a payroll "matching" payment outside of the H payroll.

More than that, Amaker's pay has been effectively tripled because H also agreed to offer employment to his wife.

The real criticism here is that H has a very weak president because, arguably, an important part of an Ivy president's job is to put his/her foot down to stamp out this blatantly corrupt behavior.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Of course, they won't

Author:
Drew2411
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:16:49 03/09/17 Thu

Murphy's has held Harvard up on multiple occasions and if you think he gets paid less than Amaker you don't know Murphy - he would never, ever let that happen. And yes boosters pay him out of pocket to beat Yale. And yes he brings in several players to balance AI that will never play.

My point is don't single out Amaker for what Murphy gets as well. If you think that is wrong, then agree it is on President but don't use a double standard.

Plus basketball is much better sport for academic integrity...only need 1 weak student a year to be legit (i.e. actually compete at true Div level which Harvard football has zero chance)...football you need 10-15 a year.

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:13 03/03/17 Fri

And I assume that Columbia's money to buy a home path to a CIT title fell out of the sky. Or that the Harvard players in the broad-based government cheating scandal were the only basketball players in the league to cheat. Or that Harvard is the only program to get dinged with a secondary.

Other programs have had players be prosecuted criminally. Other programs take far more lower AI profiles than Harvard. Other teams have had players dismissed for cheating. Other teams have committed secondary violations.

You can be disappointed about transgressions committed by players or others related to the Harvard program, but it is completely inaccurate to pretend like what has happened there is unprecedented amongst the basketball programs in our league. It is absolutely incorrect.

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:24 03/03/17 Fri

Making bulletproof comparisons is a complicated business. So, without engaging in an endless back-and-forth on the topic, I will rest with the comment that, in my humble and admittedly subjective opinion, what Harvard is up to these days is just not cricket, and is distinct, if not in kind, but certainly in degree, with the other cases that you or anyone else could cite.

[> [> [> Subject: Name the Harvard players who wouldn't have been admitted to other Ivies

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:58 03/03/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Name the Harvard players who wouldn't have been admitted to other Ivies

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:55 03/03/17 Fri

I'm blanking on names, but posters on the Ivy BB board repeatedly accused Harvard of bringing in "academic ringers" to offset some lower AI scores of the basketball recruits that they really wanted. If you go onto that Board, I'm sure you'd find many people willing to list the players involved.

Carm Cozza attempted similar stuff in the early 1980s. Yale's brass told him to quit it.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Name the Harvard players who wouldn't have been admitted to other Ivies

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:29 03/03/17 Fri

To Go Green:

Prove your allegation about Coach Cozza. League rivals and Giamatti pulled in the reins on Carm because he beat and challenged teams outside the Ivies' comfort zone, and his teams were generally too damn good. Navy's losses in 1981 were to ND, Michigan, Ohio St and YALE!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Cozza discussed it in "True Blue"

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:35:05 03/03/17 Fri

It wasn't a secret.

Cozza was very explicit about it and discussed it in his autobiography.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cozza discussed it in "True Blue"

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:47:14 03/04/17 Sat

Coach Cozza was "explicit" in his autobiography, but not in the way insinuated by Go Green. Here are a few of his observations:

"In all my years at Yale, we received only one sanction from the NCAA, and that was because of a well-meaning alumnus in a Midwestern city who broke a minor rule without realizing it." (117)

"It is important to note that we never tried to sneak a kid into Yale who didn't belong. I never once sought the admission of a young man I didn't think could do Yale work. Not once" (195)

Four Rhodes Scholars and scores of former players who became doctors, lawyers and bankers bear out the truth of those statements, it seems to me.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm not going to go back and re-read it

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:08:02 03/04/17 Sat

If you have the book handy, you'll find extensive passages where Cozza says he clashed with the Yale admissions people.

One (of many) instances was Cozza attempting to meet Yale's AI averages by bringing in 1600-SAT guys as "recruits" who barely played on their high school teams to justify the admissions of guys with lower scores. Yale's admissions department wouldn't let him do it.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:07:50 03/07/17 Tue

Dio, check out the profile of Zena Edosomwan in Harvard Magazine linked elsewhere in this thread. It's a good read for all Ivy fans, not just Crimson fans.

Edosomwan comes across as a great kid, one that we can all be happy sought out the Ivy League. The guy can speak Mandarin, for crying out loud. But coming out of high school, he did not meet the minimum AI score to be admitted as an athletic recruit. So he could not be admitted to any Ivy, not just Harvard.

But Edosomwan improved his credentials after a PG year at prep school. I would be very curious how that conversation with Amaker went. Did Amaker say, "If you go PG, you might get in next winter, but I can't promise anything" or did he say, "If you pad your transcript at prep school, it's highly likely you'll get in."

In either event, check out the article. It's a window into the recruiting of a superstar high school athlete in the modern Ivy League.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One

Author:
Diogenes (An Observer)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:45:11 03/07/17 Tue

Thank you for your post. I did read the linked article and was struck by several points regarding the young man. First, he is a strong willed young man raised by two strong parents. Second, he is widely respected by his peers and teachers. Third, he was a good student at an excellent private school in Los Angeles. Fourth, he has many interests besides basketball and his studies. Fifth, he is a better than average basketball player but not a star. Sixth, the only problem with his AI stemmed from his standardized test scores. Seventh, he took a PG year to raise his test scores and succeeded. Eighth, a PG year to raise your grades, and/or test scores, has been a way for athletes and non-athletes to gain admission to selective schools (including Ivies) for well over a century.

In sum, what Ivy school would not admit this young man? Or, put another way, why would any Ivy school deny admission to this young man?

Thanks for making me think a bit more.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:02:57 03/07/17 Tue

Patrick Ewing was a hard worker, and an upstanding man as well. And he graduated from Georgetown.

But no Ivy would touch him with his high school record.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:44:48 03/07/17 Tue

Not sure there was an Ivy AI in 1980/81 when Patrick Ewing was recruited to Georgetown. In any event, Mr. Edosomwan met the AI standards for admission to an Ivy school. What is your point?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I thought it was obvious, but...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:49:07 03/08/17 Wed

If you want to justify Zena's admission to Harvard because met the AI, that's where the discussion ends.

The rest of the stuff is irrelevant. There's tons of hard working guys of great character out there that the Ivies can't touch.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Unfair

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:19:15 03/08/17 Wed

Agree with you. I've never understood the volleys of criticism directed at Harvard's athletic recruiting. If someone is qualified for admission, how can their admission be criticized?

The real problems with Ivy admissions involve discrimination between and amongst qualified applicants because almost all the applicants are qualified. Discrimination against Asian-Americans and discrimination in favor of non-AI minorities are subsisting problems. One of the solutions--one I favor--is to impose an AI on all applicants, not just athletes.

Athletes, along with Asian-Americans, are subject to invidious discrimination because of their abilities and who they are. As they say on Twitter: "Unfair".

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: All second (or third) hand stuff. but

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:39:42 03/08/17 Wed

These are not my opinions, but only what I'm remembering from the Ivy BB (mostly Penn) board, the criticisms of Zena's admission were as follows (apologies in advance for any inaccuracies at all levels):

1) Harvard let him take the boards numerous times, and he barely qualified on his final attempt. Harvard generally didn't do that previously.

2) Harvard "recruited" a guy who did not have D-I basketball talent, but had excellent SAT scores to balance out Zena's score. The other "recruit" never suited up for the Crimson.

3) Even then, Harvard basketball ran into academic compliance issues with the NCAA (they got out of it eventually).

4) Harvard basketball "took" some low-band AI spots away from their other sports. Those sports lost competitiveness whereas basketball gained competitiveness. Again, something they hadn't done previously.

In essence, the argument was that while Harvard was following the letter of the law, they were violating the spirit of the AI/Ivy admissions with respect to athletes. At a minimum, Harvard never did anything even remotely close to this for Amaker's predecessor.

All that being said, I haven't seen much griping about Harvard's basketball admissions lately. So all this is water under the bridge...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Also part of the discussion

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:44 03/08/17 Wed

Another part of the problem was that Penn felt that Harvard was the one that imposed the AI on the Ivy League as a way to muzzle Penn's success in basketball in the late 1970s.

So there were some hard feelings among Penn alums based on a perception that Harvard was succeeding in basketball by playing games with the AI.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: All second (or third) hand stuff. but

Author:
Diogenes (Go Green)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:26:02 03/08/17 Wed

You listed all the criticisms I've heard. But if the rules weren't broken--they weren't broken. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Perhaps I'm being simplistic, but to my ears it all sounds like losers whining about winners.

One thing I find interesting is that while Harvard has enjoyed better teams, they haven't been a whole lot better than the usual powers in the League and, by their performance the NCAA's, have helped out the League as a whole.

Subjectively, it seems to me that Harvard has raised the standards of play in the League--and, if true, that's a good thing.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: All second (or third) hand stuff. but

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:44:11 03/08/17 Wed

Not to be too picky, but Harvard has certainly raised the standards of RECRUITING in the league; the standards of play are a different question.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: All second (or third) hand stuff. but

Author:
Diogenes (joiseyfan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:33:57 03/08/17 Wed

Excellent point.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: To be fair to Penn

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:30 03/08/17 Wed

There were indeed Penn fans on the boards expressing the same sentiments that you articulated above.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Anyone who cares

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:09:47 03/08/17 Wed

This thread was pretty typical of the "Harvard Debates" on the Penn Board from several years ago.

http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/14705/fromsearch/1/hl/sour/tp/1/

Many other such threads existed...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: All second (or third) hand stuff. but

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:35:57 03/08/17 Wed

Very little of what has been said in this thread is actually true.

"1) Harvard let him take the boards numerous times, and he barely qualified on his final attempt. Harvard generally didn't do that previously."

Harvard had let recruits take the SAT/ACTs many times in the past. He actually DIDN'T qualify on his final attempt, which is why he had to take a post grad year in order to get qualified.

"2) Harvard "recruited" a guy who did not have D-I basketball talent, but had excellent SAT scores to balance out Zena's score. The other "recruit" never suited up for the Crimson."

Harvard had been using AI boosters for a long, long time. You never noticed before because the non-AI-boosters weren't good enough to be distinguishable.

"3) Even then, Harvard basketball ran into academic compliance issues with the NCAA (they got out of it eventually)."

I assume you're talking about the APR, which is a ridiculous calculation that got adjusted back up (not that they were in any real danger to begin with) once the kids involved in the cheating scandal returned to school and finished their degrees. As for that, Harvard had academic issues with players under previous coaches and other Ivies have had such issues as well. This was not unique.

"4) Harvard basketball "took" some low-band AI spots away from their other sports. Those sports lost competitiveness whereas basketball gained competitiveness. Again, something they hadn't done previously."

You can't really "take" low band spots away from other sports, because all sports outside of football are averaged, not banded, so as long as you're hitting your average, your sport has no impact on other sports in the department. There used to be a conspiracy theory that Harvard Hockey got bad all of a sudden when Amaker joined because Harvard shifted "low" spots to basketball. That never made sense, because Donato was raking in big time recruiting classes, even when the team was bad. No one seems to talk about that theory anymore.

It's exhausting to continue to combat all of the misinformation out there. I covered Sullivan's teams toward the end of his tenure at Harvard. The academic standards to which he had to adhere were tougher than what Amaker faced when he started (though with the continuing hikes to the AI floor aren't really...) but the academic standards to which he had to adhere weren't static throughout his tenure. Toward the end they were very rigorous, though that happened after having academic issues on the team.

Harvard hasn't ever had the lowest standards in the league. There was a moment there when Princeton and Yale could claim Harvard was fishing a little deeper in the AI pool than they were, but that's evened up now too. There are definitely teams (this year especially) that did things Harvard (or Princeton and Yale) couldn't remotely touch.

What's a shame is that all of these baseless rumors take away from one of the greatest program builds I have ever seen. I don't just mean on court. I mean the program as a whole. That doesn't happen without Tommy Amaker, and it's a shame that people don't appreciate it for what it is.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Not my fight

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:09:49 03/08/17 Wed

But I appreciate (as always) the time you took to address the criticisms as I recalled them.

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:50 03/08/17 Wed

I find these criticisms to be very disappointing - and ironic:

It seems that the AI was created to stop Penn from accepting subpar applicants (glass house?). If Harvard were recruiting in violation of rules or in a way that the league discourages, then that would be monitored and regulated. No such thing has happened. In fact, as the AI is being raised, I hear fans of other squads complaining, not Harvard.

AI relates mathematically to the average qualifications of the student body, placing Harvard at an empirical disadvantage to almost every other Ivy school.

Taking SAT's multiple times is practiced by almost all applicants. Superscoring (combining best individual scores amongst various tests/sections) is widely practiced, thus confirming that multiple testing is accepted. I know of a Power 5 school that encourages athletes with acceptable scores to take the tests over again even after admittance in order to raise the class average, thereby enabling recruiting of others with lower scores!

Last time I looked, Harvard basketball's APR and graduation rates surpassed other Ivy's and were nationally recognized. Just look at the players who have dropped out of school, been arrested, or suspended for academic performance. Not at Harvard. [Yes, I acknowledge the cheating scandal that impacted over 100 students and suspended 2 Harvard basketball players for a year.]

Finally, I commend Coach Amaker for creating a program that is about much more than just basketball. Coach Amaker has created a program that educates his players off the court, including meetings with prominent and important individuals and organizations. Just this fall I witnessed the team hold a private session with Kareem Abdul Jabbar, participate in two practices/sessions, and led to attendance by the entire team at Kareem's IOP presentation. During games, yelling, flagrant fouls, and technical fouls are at a minimum, or don't exist. These are good kids and Amaker works very hard to create a classy program and to be great mentor, well beyond basketball.

As for Zena, it's not easy to be favorably recognized on a campus like Harvard. I can assure you that he is. Remember, in this league most hockey players enter after years in the junior leagues and many football players and basketball players attend after PG years. I have personal knowledge of Zena. He belongs at a school like Harvard. I'll bet every single Ivy coach, plus 30+ non-Ivy coaches, were dying to admit him. They were right.

Author:
Upper Valley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:39 03/11/17 Sat

It's a tough spot to be in for any conference trying impose any semblance of quantitative academic restrictions. If you have any sort of numerical scale, you are going to preclude some excellent kids of strong character who fall beneath your threshold.

On the other hand, if you don't have a numerical scale, then you're leaving each of your member schools to compete on the honor system, making their own decisions based upon whatever they want. And that's basically what HYP did not want to allow Penn to do in the 1970's.

So we got the AI. And with the AI, there will be unfortunate casualties, terrific young men and women who probably could have been admitted if they were not athletic recruits (like a development admit, even if he does grow up to be Jared Kushner) but who are blocked because they are terrific athletes.

[> [> Subject: Harvard Cheating, Unique or Not?

Author:
Turner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:34:16 03/03/17 Fri

mrjames, I think your rebuttal to Boston Lion can be summarized as, "In the history of the Ivy League, there have probably been other teams which benefited from hastily raised alumni donations, had players cheat in class or been ruled by the NCAA to have committed recruiting violations."

That's not a great rebuttal. Sure, in the entire history of the Ivy League, especially across all sports, there have been other cheaters. But the difference is that, with this Harvard team under Amaker, ALL OF THESE THINGS are happening under his watch. It's not that other Ivy programs have never had smoke around them, it's that there is a tremendous amount of smoke around THIS ONE TEAM, more smoke than has ever surrounded a single Ivy program in any sport.

By the way, as far as I know, I think Amaker IS THE ONLY Ivy basketball coach to have been dinged by the NCAA, certainly the only current coach.

And as far as academic ringers are concerned, have you read this article about Zena Edosomwan? It's fascinating, especially the comments.

http://www.harvardmagazine.com/2017/02/zena-edosomwans-journey

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard Cheating, Unique or Not?

Author:
Bob S
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:58:27 03/04/17 Sat

Mr. James- This poster is in total agreement with you.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Harvard Cheating, Unique or Not?

Author:
John Harvard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:13 03/08/17 Wed

As is this one.

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:47:57 03/04/17 Sat

I'm not going to throw other teams or players under the bus. But just because stuff isn't deemed interesting enough to pursue to report, doesn't mean it's not happening. (Some stuff has been like the arrests and dismissals surrounding a few Ivy bball programs). And everything I've mentioned is extremely recent within just basketball.

The criticisms of Harvard's program are amongst the fans alone. I've tried to give as much context as I am able, but it's not my place to share things that aren't already public. People will believe what they want to believe, but these beliefs are not shared by those who compete against Amaker every day.

The ignorance is frustrating, but it is what it is.

[> Subject: A Better Way To Seed The Ivy Tournament

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:14:19 03/04/17 Sat

It's an outside chance but, if things break right tomorrow night in the four season finales, the men's basketball standings will exactly parallel the US News rankings of our eight universities.

Using that methodology to seed the tournament would at least encourage academics, which frankly could use some beefing up.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.