VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Early start on weekend lacrosse

Author:
sparman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:13:15 03/03/17 Fri

Princeton leading Hopkins 10-2 at the half. Long way to go, but a great start for PU, led by Austin Sims' 4 goals, from Holtsledge's neck of the woods.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Early start on weekend lacrosse

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:54:34 03/03/17 Fri

Wow, that's impressive. Looks like nationally ranked Penn, Brown and Yale will have some company with Tigers joining top 20, if that score holds up.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Final Princeton 18 Hopkins 7

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:30 03/03/17 Fri

Biggest margin of victory ever by PU in this series dating from 1890.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:30 03/03/17 Fri

Final 18-7 Tigers and not nearly that close. Total physical domination plus excellent goalie play plus truly nasty offense. At one point had ten consecutive goals on the #3 team min the country.

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:52 03/03/17 Fri

18-6. Smoked the number 3 team, if I am reading correctly. Did not see that coming.

[> [> Subject: Re: Early start on weekend lacrosse

Author:
M3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:33:55 03/03/17 Fri

After Hofstra loss this is quite encouraging.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Early start on weekend lacrosse

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:15:44 03/04/17 Sat

Would be quite a coup if they not only have found a coach, but also one young enough to create a lengthy tenure.

[> Subject: Rest of weekend falls flat

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:23:28 03/05/17 Sun

Harvard the only winner, modestly over Vermont.

Yale loses to Bryant.
Penn loses (narrowly) to Penn State (PSU is good).
Brown loses to Rutgers (Rutgers decent).
Cornell loses (badly) to Albany.
Dartmouth loses to Wagner.

[> [> Subject: Re: Rest of weekend falls flat

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:46:34 03/05/17 Sun

Maybe Tigers' blowout of Hopkins means they will be class of the League. Cornell has not played well yet, Brown a big disappointment, and the Yale loss to Bryant is a big disappointment. Harvard looks so-so, but Penn's close loss to Penn State may indicate that they will be in the hunt for the League title. Dartmouth seems headed for the League cellar, they are really bad.

This is a sport where the margins among the top thirty or so teams in the country is razor thin. NC upset of Denver, and ND upset of Maryland indicate that the race to get to the final four will be hard to predict.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Rest of weekend falls flat

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:38:28 03/05/17 Sun

Correct. Once they determine who's in the NCAAs -- which won't be simple -- matchups will have a huge effect on the NC this year.

[> [> Subject: Re: Rest of weekend falls flat

Author:
CU_88
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:49:40 03/05/17 Sun

The Dartmouth women lost to Columbia for the first time.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell needs to bring back Ben Deluca!

Author:
RedWin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:52:56 03/05/17 Sun

Cornell athletics absolutely suck! For years we had a great lacrosse team and now we'll be lucky to win one game this year. Ben Deluca takes them all the way to the Final Four and then he gets fired for some unexplained reason. This coaching staff has taken a once proud program and run them into the gutter.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell needs to bring back Ben Deluca!

Author:
big29red
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:36 03/06/17 Mon

Oh yeah- and don't expect it to get better any time soon. My take on the new president, is that Athletics will be at the bottom of her "let's fix it list"!
Led by Football, the demise of the major sports at Cornell, is just utterly embarrassing, and totally at the fault of the administration. As I've said before, they care more about gender-neutral bathrooms and coed dorm rooms, then they do about Athletics. While HYP have moved their programs in the right direction, we've fallen so far behind, that it will take a major, major alumni voice w/ deep pockets to right this ship. Many systemic issues, from poor facilities, lack of experienced coaches to poor recruiting (except for wrestling, wonder why that is?)- see Andy Noel!! What a mess.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: How about a little love for Cornell hockey and wrestling

Author:
Diogenes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:12:57 03/06/17 Mon

Currently and historically, Cornell has one of the best hockey programs in the country--men and women alike. Likewise for wrestling.

Cornell hockey and wrestling teams compete and win at the highest levels of their sports.

While the criticisms leveled against football, basketball and lacrosse are spot on, remember Lincoln's response to criticism of Grant's drinking: "Find out what he drinks and send a bottle to all my generals."

Maybe the deep thinkers at Cornell should have a little chat with those who run the hockey and wrestling programs.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How about a little love for Cornell hockey and wrestling

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:25:05 03/06/17 Mon

Cornell recently won the Ivy wrestling title for the umpteenth time, and this weekend took the Easterns. My boys placed second in the former and third in the latter and were close to taking second there too.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How about a little love for Cornell hockey and wrestling

Author:
Diogenes (Bengal)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:32:40 03/06/17 Mon

Despite all the yelling and screaming about athletics being antithetical to scholarship, the three best schools in the country have arguably the best athletic programs, i.e., Princeton, Stanford and Harvard.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How about a little love for Cornell hockey and wrestling

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:24:35 03/06/17 Mon

What I really like is the wide range of intercollegiate sports that are available at our schools. And while it is usually, but not always, in sports with a lesser of school participation nationwide than, say football or basketball, a number of Ivy teams make noise nationally every year.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How about a little love for Cornell hockey and wrestling

Author:
bowwowwow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:40:23 03/07/17 Tue

In my opinion all Ivy's should have a wrestling team.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: How about a little love for Cornell hockey and wrestling

Author:
Diogenes (bowwowwow)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:15:03 03/07/17 Tue

Agree.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I imagine your request is not meant literally

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:04:43 03/06/17 Mon

Without getting into the "why", it's pretty clear he's not actually coming back to Cornell. As Associate Head Coach at Harvard, he's in position to take over there depending on how things play out, or at a major program elsewhere. I believe he may have been a finalist for PU job but ultimately was not interested.

I cannot see how he would want to return to Cornell.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: They're just venting

Author:
Cornell '97
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:30:19 03/06/17 Mon

He's not coming back to coach.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The "Story" About Ben DeLuca

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:20 03/07/17 Tue

sparman, this version of events regarding Ben DeLuca was recounted in the comments sections of more than one lacrosse article way back when Bill Tierney left for Denver in 2009. You can assign whatever degree of credibility that you want to it.

The story back in 2009 was that Ben DeLuca, then an assistant to Jeff Tambroni, actually accepted the Princeton job and was driving back to Ithaca to resign. Apparently he received a cell phone call informing him that he was expected to maintain much of or all of the existing staff of Tiger assistants. He decided right then and there that this was too much meddling with his ability to run the Princeton program as he saw fit and changed his mind about taking the Jersey job.

Again, this is all second hand or, more likely fourth or fifth hand, so take it with the appropriate degree of skepticism. But the part that everybody posting seemed to accept as true was the DeLuca did in fact accept the Princeton job and then changed his mind shortly thereafter.

To me, the only relevance this story has to 2017 is that DeLuca must very much like the Ivy League model despite his ability to get a higher paying job. Further, he must also be comfortable coaching another Ivy program despite his life-long connection to Cornell. I fully expect the Harvard head coach to be eased out of the way soon to keep DeLuca on staff for the long run.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell needs to bring back Ben Deluca!

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:56:48 03/06/17 Mon

If fired for no reason that is truly shameful. Cornell lacrosse has the reputation and recruiting power to be a perennial top 10 competitor.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell needs to bring back Ben Deluca!

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:40:40 03/06/17 Mon

In terms of Ben Deluca I don't think any Cornell fans understand why he was fired. He was doing a great job coaching the team and it was a surprise to both the players and alums when he was let go. He should have been given a second chance to keep his job.

After watching the Cornell vs. Hobart game last week the problem with the team is very obvious as our defense is too small and not physical. Lacrosse is a "contact sport" and when you don't win face offs, lose the ground ball battles, and get run over by the middies you're not going to win many games. Kerwick said after that game they need to play faster, but what they really need to do is get turnovers and pass the ball to our offense. It's lacrosse "101".

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cornell needs to bring back Ben Deluca!

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:37 03/07/17 Tue

According to this article his dismissal may have something to do with a hazing incident. If true, it's an accountability issue. The coach takes the fall for the bad judgement of the players.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/11/deluca_remains_unclear_about_r.html

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Cornell's loss is Harvard's gain, in this instance.

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:58 03/07/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wrestling - dump the sweat suits!

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:22:40 03/07/17 Tue

I loved contact sports and actually wrestled for awhile in in school. However, I hated how the coaches made us wear sweat suits and cranked the heat up in the wrestling room so we were all soaked in sweat. I watched a wrestling practice at Cornell last fall and all these athletes were running around in hooded sweat suits trying to shed water weight which to me is a big turn off and probably the main reason I don't follow wrestling. I love the fitness aspect of wrestling, but get rid of the damn sweat suits!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wrestling - dump the sweat suits!

Author:
Penn Nation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:35:44 03/08/17 Wed

Too old school. 😀

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.