VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Name the Harvard players who wouldn't have been admitted to other Ivies

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:12:55 03/03/17 Fri
In reply to: Diogenes 's message, "Name the Harvard players who wouldn't have been admitted to other Ivies" on 15:54:58 03/03/17 Fri

I'm blanking on names, but posters on the Ivy BB board repeatedly accused Harvard of bringing in "academic ringers" to offset some lower AI scores of the basketball recruits that they really wanted. If you go onto that Board, I'm sure you'd find many people willing to list the players involved.

Carm Cozza attempted similar stuff in the early 1980s. Yale's brass told him to quit it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Name the Harvard players who wouldn't have been admitted to other Ivies

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:29 03/03/17 Fri

To Go Green:

Prove your allegation about Coach Cozza. League rivals and Giamatti pulled in the reins on Carm because he beat and challenged teams outside the Ivies' comfort zone, and his teams were generally too damn good. Navy's losses in 1981 were to ND, Michigan, Ohio St and YALE!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Cozza discussed it in "True Blue"

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:35:05 03/03/17 Fri

It wasn't a secret.

Cozza was very explicit about it and discussed it in his autobiography.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Cozza discussed it in "True Blue"

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:47:14 03/04/17 Sat

Coach Cozza was "explicit" in his autobiography, but not in the way insinuated by Go Green. Here are a few of his observations:

"In all my years at Yale, we received only one sanction from the NCAA, and that was because of a well-meaning alumnus in a Midwestern city who broke a minor rule without realizing it." (117)

"It is important to note that we never tried to sneak a kid into Yale who didn't belong. I never once sought the admission of a young man I didn't think could do Yale work. Not once" (195)

Four Rhodes Scholars and scores of former players who became doctors, lawyers and bankers bear out the truth of those statements, it seems to me.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm not going to go back and re-read it

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:08:02 03/04/17 Sat

If you have the book handy, you'll find extensive passages where Cozza says he clashed with the Yale admissions people.

One (of many) instances was Cozza attempting to meet Yale's AI averages by bringing in 1600-SAT guys as "recruits" who barely played on their high school teams to justify the admissions of guys with lower scores. Yale's admissions department wouldn't let him do it.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.