VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One

Author:
John Harvard
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:08:50 03/08/17 Wed
In reply to: An Observer 's message, "Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One" on 19:07:50 03/07/17 Tue

I find these criticisms to be very disappointing - and ironic:

It seems that the AI was created to stop Penn from accepting subpar applicants (glass house?). If Harvard were recruiting in violation of rules or in a way that the league discourages, then that would be monitored and regulated. No such thing has happened. In fact, as the AI is being raised, I hear fans of other squads complaining, not Harvard.

AI relates mathematically to the average qualifications of the student body, placing Harvard at an empirical disadvantage to almost every other Ivy school.

Taking SAT's multiple times is practiced by almost all applicants. Superscoring (combining best individual scores amongst various tests/sections) is widely practiced, thus confirming that multiple testing is accepted. I know of a Power 5 school that encourages athletes with acceptable scores to take the tests over again even after admittance in order to raise the class average, thereby enabling recruiting of others with lower scores!

Last time I looked, Harvard basketball's APR and graduation rates surpassed other Ivy's and were nationally recognized. Just look at the players who have dropped out of school, been arrested, or suspended for academic performance. Not at Harvard. [Yes, I acknowledge the cheating scandal that impacted over 100 students and suspended 2 Harvard basketball players for a year.]

Finally, I commend Coach Amaker for creating a program that is about much more than just basketball. Coach Amaker has created a program that educates his players off the court, including meetings with prominent and important individuals and organizations. Just this fall I witnessed the team hold a private session with Kareem Abdul Jabbar, participate in two practices/sessions, and led to attendance by the entire team at Kareem's IOP presentation. During games, yelling, flagrant fouls, and technical fouls are at a minimum, or don't exist. These are good kids and Amaker works very hard to create a classy program and to be great mentor, well beyond basketball.

As for Zena, it's not easy to be favorably recognized on a campus like Harvard. I can assure you that he is. Remember, in this league most hockey players enter after years in the junior leagues and many football players and basketball players attend after PG years. I have personal knowledge of Zena. He belongs at a school like Harvard. I'll bet every single Ivy coach, plus 30+ non-Ivy coaches, were dying to admit him. They were right.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Well, Zena Edosomwan, For One

Author:
Upper Valley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:39 03/11/17 Sat

It's a tough spot to be in for any conference trying impose any semblance of quantitative academic restrictions. If you have any sort of numerical scale, you are going to preclude some excellent kids of strong character who fall beneath your threshold.

On the other hand, if you don't have a numerical scale, then you're leaving each of your member schools to compete on the honor system, making their own decisions based upon whatever they want. And that's basically what HYP did not want to allow Penn to do in the 1970's.

So we got the AI. And with the AI, there will be unfortunate casualties, terrific young men and women who probably could have been admitted if they were not athletic recruits (like a development admit, even if he does grow up to be Jared Kushner) but who are blocked because they are terrific athletes.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.