VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Interesting, but I don't think that will pacify EB fans

Author:
observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:38:33 03/21/17 Tue
In reply to: mrjames 's message, "Re: Interesting, but I don't think that will pacify EB fans" on 11:06:42 03/21/17 Tue

Charting = Counting.

Counting stats are still important.

At the end of the day, you win by scoring more points, not by getting more deck burns or actualizing help rotations.

Not arguing that gross points are the only metric that counts for player evaluation, but to deny their importance is just as asinine as to suggest that "athleticism" is more important than "skill".

It all matters.

Would Boudreaux rack up 20-10 for Princeton? No. Would he be a good player in their system? Who knows. Is he a lesser player because he didn't have Amir Bell, Devin Cannady, Myles Stephens and Stephen Weisz on his side of the ball as opposed to being on the other team - absolutely not.

Nothing exists in a vacuum. Cook and Weisz shouldn't be evaluated as superior because their teammates on aggregate were more talented; Boudreaux shouldn't be penalized because he was clearly the best player on a bad team.

Obviously, Dan Marino is a worse quarterback than Jim Plunkett. And Patrick Ewing was a much worse basketball player than Robert Horry. etc. etc. etc.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Interesting, but I don't think that will pacify EB fans

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:31:12 03/21/17 Tue

Funny you should mention Rob Johnson, because I lived in Jacksonville at that time, and I remember Jacksonville deciding whether to sign or trade Rob. They ultimately traded him, since they realized they'd stick with Brunell.

I do a ton of work on advanced metrics on my own - enough to demonstrate that he's not a first teamer, but you're right that I don't know exactly what each staff is looking at.

What's also weird about this whole argument is that I think that we're missing the context on what it means to be a Top 10 player in this league. Devin Cannady and Matt Howard would be first teamers a decade ago, and they were honorable mention this year. A decade ago, the season Evan put together is probably unanimous first team. The league is just WAY better, and the talent level is ridiculously high. Being a Top 10 player as a freshman and sophomore is pretty incredible. And I fully expect him to be a first team player next year.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.