VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Bengal
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:22:14 03/31/17 Fri

Nov 9, 2019. 150 th anniversary of first football game

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:27:59 03/31/17 Fri

Does that mean no Rutgers game?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Way Cool!

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:34:28 03/31/17 Fri

So when are we playing Penn at Citizens Bank?

:)

Author:
TigerTown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:19 03/31/17 Fri

No Rutgers/Princeton game.

[> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:57 03/31/17 Fri

It astounds me that Princeton will not play Rutgers, which is on its knees begging for the game. This seems like a no-brainer event to schedule.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:00:07 03/31/17 Fri

As I have discussed with holtsledge, I can understand why they would decline. Their goal is to win the League and it does them no good to suffer an injury on a key player versus a physically larger out of conference opponent.

Still I would have liked to see how they would do.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:14 03/31/17 Fri

Sure, I understand the goal is to win the Ivy League. And sure, an injury against Rutgers could come back to bite the Tigers.

But so could an injury against Lehigh or Lafayette.

Injuries happen, and they're unfortunate. But no Ivy League team will ever again be invited to play a Big Ten team. This is literally a once-in-lifetime opportunity for Princeton and our conference. It's worth risking an injury (or two or three) because this will be last time this ever happens.

Frankly, I think that the 2016 Tigers could have beaten the 2016 Scarlet Knights. I can't believe that a Princeton football coach would turn down the opportunity to make that happen.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
TigerTown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:14:38 04/01/17 Sat

Rutgers does not want to play Princeton for a bunch of reasons. The new coach and administration have zero motivation. Flood yes, Ash no.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:00 04/01/17 Sat

Seems like a no-win situation for Rutgers. They win, who cares, it's not only a FCS team, it's an ivy league team which means even less. They lose, they continue to be the football laughing stock of the Big Ten, only more so. Plus their attendance is likely to be worse than for the team they would otherwise play.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Rutgers Should Love The Idea of 2019 Game

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:51:44 04/01/17 Sat

TT, when talk of a potential P-R game first surfaced a couple of years ago, interviews with administrators at both schools made it clear that Rutgers wanted to play the 2019 game very, very much while Surace was much more circumspect. Since then, as you say, Flood is out and Ash is in. Does Rutgers feel differently now?

I would have guessed that support for the game at Rutgers would not depend on what the head coach wants. For the coach, there is nothing to gain in terms of football between the lines. For him, there is only downside in terms of the 60-minute game.

No, for Rutgers it's all about branding, marketing and being host to the biggest commemorative party in college football. Rutgers has built its brand around "the birthplace of college football." The 2019 game is a natural. They are willing to play an FCS team to have the eyes of the football world -- college and pro -- focused on Rutgers University for a weekend.

For both schools, the game is an opportunity to celebrate their role in history before the largest audience which will ever watch a P or R game this decade, maybe the next couple of decades as well. If they play the game in Week 1 instead of Week 9, they can kick off the entire 2019 season for all of college football.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Rutgers Should Love The Idea of 2019 Game

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:23:45 04/02/17 Sun

But what would be "week 1"? Ivies don't start play until several weeks later than Rutgers. And IMO ivy teams need a few weeks more of actual play to get to their real playing level.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Rutgers Game Should Take Place August 31, 2019

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:21 04/02/17 Sun

The Rutgers-Princeton game should be played on August 31, 2019. That's the kickoff weekend for the season and R-P can be the centerpiece of a celebration weekend.

Of course, a few things will have to change from the normal Ivy routine. Princeton will have to come to camp three weeks early. But then the Tigers will have three weeks to heal nicks and dings before they return to the rest of the schedule. This timing actually mitigates the concerns about injuries insofar as minor bumps and bruises are the problem.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:41:16 04/01/17 Sat

In Surace's defense, Teevens said pretty much the exact same thing when he tried to get out of the UNH series in the mid to late 2000s. It doesn't make sense for us. We can't risk injury against a better opponent. It doesn't help us prep for Ivy competition. Yada yada.

You can make a case that he was wrong. But it's hard to fault Surace here too much.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Anthony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:17:42 04/01/17 Sat

Teevens is 100% on target. But the game between Princeton and Rutgers in 2019 would not be like a Dartmouth-UNH game which might draw 9,000 fans. Princeton-Rutgers, if it's managed and marketed well, should end up on national television with a President in attendance, just like it was in 1969.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: P v. DC Yankee stadium

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:01:36 04/01/17 Sat

The threat of the president attending might be what tips the scales "against" for college administrators.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth-UNH

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:27:41 04/01/17 Sat

Didn't Dartmouth just beat UNH? Most have shocked Teevens. He should have more confidence in his players, as should Surace.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-UNH

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:44:48 04/01/17 Sat

It was a different world in 2007.

UNH was a national power, regularly beating FBS teams. Dartmouth.... was not.

The talent gap has since narrowed significantly.

Personally, I think Princeton would do fine against Rutgers. But as I said, its hard for Dartmouth folks to fault Surace here when Teevens was singing the same song 10 years ago.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dartmouth-UNH

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:55 04/01/17 Sat

I agree with that. But Yale folks are free to find fault as circa 2007 Yale was scheduling Army.

Author:
Son of Eli.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:59 03/31/17 Fri

Terrible decision. The stadium will be 80 % empty. This is an embarrassing way to mark a proud football history. Princeton should have played Rutgers.

Author:
IvyVoyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:58:03 04/01/17 Sat

Lehigh and Lafayette sold out Yankee Stadium for their 150th game. No reason P and D can't, if they work it.

[> [> Subject: Tall order

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:42:04 04/01/17 Sat

While we should get a better-than-usual crowd, I don't think anyone is expecting a sellout.

The draw for the Dartmouth-Brown game at Fenway this November should give us a pretty good indicator of how well D v. P will do in 2019.

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:23:32 04/01/17 Sat

Princeton-Dartmouth is not nearly the caliber of rivalry as Lehigh-Lafayette, which is why they will no longer be playing each other to end the season.

[> [> [> Subject: until last yr

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:25:44 04/01/17 Sat

neither was Yale harvard

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: until last yr

Author:
So. Of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:31:09 04/01/17 Sat

I've yet to see a Lehigh-Lafeyette game draw more than 50,000., which happens biannually for Yale-Harvard.

Author:
Ivy Voyeur
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:01:04 04/02/17 Sun

Don't forget, the new Yankee Stadium is much smaller than the old. I understand capacity for football is just a little over 40,000. The novelty should sell tix to students and alums.

Author:
The Lion (Alternate plan)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:12:23 04/02/17 Sun

The second football game was Princeton-Columbia a year later so let's celebrate that instead for a "150th." It's already on the two teams' regular schedule schedule, should be very competitive and keeps it in the Ivy League, which is a plus for me and the Ivy.

[> [> Subject: Those were NOT "football" games, those were just soccer games.

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:33:16 04/02/17 Sun

The Harvard/McGill contests in May of 1874 were the first games similar to today's football; i.e., you could pick up the ball and run with it, instead of just kicking it, and there were 11 men to a side. Close to today's rugby.

https://www.mcgill.ca/news-archives/2005/summer/epilogue/

[> [> [> Subject: Yawn

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:38:03 04/02/17 Sun

Write the NCAA. Maybe they care.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Yawn

Author:
The Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:08:38 04/04/17 Tue

The NCAA cares only that men should share toilets and locker rooms
with girls. In the USA. The jihadists have won.

Author:
The Lion (Door A or Door B)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:03:06 04/03/17 Mon

The NCAA is too busy making sure boys and girls shower, dress and go to the potty together. Obviously, spectators must go to the potty together too. But I understand: This will increase attendance beyond belief. People who don't know what a football or basketball IS, will flock to games just to meet the opposite sex in the restrooms. This dwarfs the NCAA's other brilliant
strategies such as one and done.
Strangers will be sitting on each other's laps in stadiums. Diversity! (Each must buy a ticket of course.)

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.