VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Princeton @ Stony Brook Highlights

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:39:49 04/10/17 Mon
In reply to: sparman 's message, "Lacrosse Saturday 4/1" on 14:09:48 04/01/17 Sat

Bad soundtrack warning unless you like fake dance club music.

https://youtu.be/Aic1Cy5Bcik

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: #1 Syracuse over Cornell 15-8

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:33 04/11/17 Tue

Considering Cornell's dismal record this year, the Big Red played Syracuse tough in the first half, but we ran out of gas in the third quarter and the Orange ran away with it.

It's interesting in that Syracuse is about the exact same size as Cornell enrollment wise and their endowment is 1/6th the size of our $6B endowment. However, Syracuse's athletic facilities are just so much more impressive than Cornell, it's just an embarrassment. They have a beautiful indoor stadium plus a state of the art indoor practice field, first class weight rooms, manicured outdoor practice fields. Plus they televise all their games with Time Warner Cable. Meanwhile, Cornell isn't even mentioned in our local sports sections. Oh well.....we're just good at sucking at sports!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: #1 Syracuse over Cornell 15-8

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:15:41 04/11/17 Tue

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for Cornell's down season. (again I am just an armchair lacrosse observer) but from what I can tell 'cuse was primed for a down season this year. A few players saved them. A transfer from UMass (Nick Mariano) and the breakout of Sergio Salcido who did not do much his first 2 seasons but has really turned it on the last 2. Also, they have a very experienced goalie in Evan Molloy.

Cuse has a solid team and are deserving of #1 ranking but the rest of the pack are just a handful of top players away along with some unexpected breakout talent.

[> [> [> [> Subject: and Syracuse has better tech

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:51:09 04/12/17 Wed

see the theory holds true: http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/nike-unveils-new-untouchable-speed-uniforms/49044

Every advantage helps.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: and Syracuse has better tech

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:54 04/12/17 Wed

Perhaps someone with a crystal ball is correct, and this year's disappointing Ivy lacrosse results (big falloffs at Brown, Penn, Cornell and Harvard) are mere aberrations, but I persist in saying the Ivies need to get their respective acts together in this sport. Otherwise,we may be seeing a repeat of what happened to football in the forties and fifties, with our teams holding on to national relevance by their fingernails, but in the end being outspent and out-recruited by very well financed big conference competition.

In particular, I sense that the days of Cornell dominance, largely founded on great recruiting on LI, are coming to an end. Ten or fifteen years ago, the pitch made to a premium player on the Island to come to Ithaca was compelling--get an Ivy degree and play for a national championship contender. Today, with full or partial scholarship aid being offered, regardless of parental finances, at Duke, ND, Michigan, NC, UVA, etc., etc., and those schools much more credible as championship contenders than the Big Red, who among the best players gets very excited about an offer from Cornell (or Brown, Dartmouth or Penn for that matter) with very little financial backing? HYP prestige may keep those teams from getting crushed in recruiting competition by above named Public Ivies, or Near Ivies, but I fear the rest of the League may well be on its way to the dustbin of lax history.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: and Syracuse has better tech

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:10 04/12/17 Wed

It would be hard to dominate LI LAX recruiting with the number of options kids have these days.

I still think Cornell's down season is not that big an aberration. There is not a giant gap between Cornell and the top 10. They need some defensive help but I see speed, skill and intensity. They have good players, no reason to believe recruiting is dropping off. It's a team game so every program needs the right fit.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: #1 Syracuse over Cornell 15-8

Author:
Sprint66
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:54:29 04/12/17 Wed

I have been following Cornell football, basketball, hockey and lacrosse since I was a kid. Over the years I have watched some great Big Red teams from the Marinaro years, Richie Moran's NCAA lacrosse championship teams, and 2010 basketball run to the Sweet 16. However, overall Cornell athletics has been on a long term decline. Hockey is still competitive, but all the other teams above have posted losing seasons again this year. Lots of reasons from lack of administrative support, poor media coverage, deteriorating facilities, ongoing coaching turnover and just overall apathy. I know many at Cornell probably think I am just a trouble maker, but all I want is some of our teams to win! I am tired of being the laughing stock of Upstate NY college sports.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: #1 Syracuse over Cornell 15-8

Author:
KC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:17:43 04/13/17 Thu

Sprint - I really appreciate and agree with your passion for Big Red athletics, but I don't think that the facts support your allegation that Cornell athletics have been and still are on a long-term decline.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: #1 Syracuse over Cornell 15-8

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:30:58 04/13/17 Thu

Highlights of the game: https://youtu.be/zb9xMtBnpHY

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.