VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: and Syracuse has better tech

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:38:54 04/12/17 Wed
In reply to: Al's Wingman 's message, "and Syracuse has better tech" on 00:51:09 04/12/17 Wed

Perhaps someone with a crystal ball is correct, and this year's disappointing Ivy lacrosse results (big falloffs at Brown, Penn, Cornell and Harvard) are mere aberrations, but I persist in saying the Ivies need to get their respective acts together in this sport. Otherwise,we may be seeing a repeat of what happened to football in the forties and fifties, with our teams holding on to national relevance by their fingernails, but in the end being outspent and out-recruited by very well financed big conference competition.

In particular, I sense that the days of Cornell dominance, largely founded on great recruiting on LI, are coming to an end. Ten or fifteen years ago, the pitch made to a premium player on the Island to come to Ithaca was compelling--get an Ivy degree and play for a national championship contender. Today, with full or partial scholarship aid being offered, regardless of parental finances, at Duke, ND, Michigan, NC, UVA, etc., etc., and those schools much more credible as championship contenders than the Big Red, who among the best players gets very excited about an offer from Cornell (or Brown, Dartmouth or Penn for that matter) with very little financial backing? HYP prestige may keep those teams from getting crushed in recruiting competition by above named Public Ivies, or Near Ivies, but I fear the rest of the League may well be on its way to the dustbin of lax history.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: and Syracuse has better tech

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:10 04/12/17 Wed

It would be hard to dominate LI LAX recruiting with the number of options kids have these days.

I still think Cornell's down season is not that big an aberration. There is not a giant gap between Cornell and the top 10. They need some defensive help but I see speed, skill and intensity. They have good players, no reason to believe recruiting is dropping off. It's a team game so every program needs the right fit.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.