VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: We discuss this every two years...

Author:
Upper Valley
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:09:18 06/04/17 Sun
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "We discuss this every two years..." on 09:23:01 06/03/17 Sat

This is a very interesting theory -- and a credible one. Other things being equal, money matters.

But I would want to see actual data before endorsing the breadth of your theory across conferences.

I notice that, at least in our conference, the relative success of the eight athletic programs almost perfectly follows the order of the schools' US News rankings. Of course, that may not be a coincidence. Other things being equal, money certainly matters in building and maintaining academic excellence.

But my point is that one can look for and find other coincidental or correlated drivers of athletic success besides simply money. Somebody should compile some data on some major conferences as I am sure their fans would find the endowment/athletic success correlation very interesting.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Someone else can check...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:38:44 06/04/17 Sun

There are a lot of injustices in the world. But I only have so much energy. I probably should care that Harvard and Princeton are kicking our butts in squash and fencing. But I don't.

That being said, if anyone wants to take a quick gander, looking at the Sears Cup standings probably is a good way to start. How many of the regulars that appear in the standings are in the bottom half of their conferences in terms of endowment?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth Against Harvard and Princeton

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:50 06/15/17 Thu

It is relatively easy to dismiss Harvard and Princeton kicking anyone's butt in squash and fencing. Who cares about those two sports, right?

But I would be curious which "major" sports you believe that Dartmouth is succeeding against Harvard and Princeton. In what sports did the Big Green defeat the Crimson and Tigers this year?

Football? No.
Men's basketball? No.
Lacrosse? No.
Baseball? Batted .500 against both.
Hockey? Mixed, about breakeven.

It's not like losses in squash and fencing have been offset by a lot of success elsewhere.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: How about the 2010s?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:22:36 06/15/17 Thu

We're doing just fine against Princeton in football in the current decade.

Ditto for baseball against Harvard.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.