VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: meant outa

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:03:54 06/08/17 Thu
In reply to: Sprint66 's message, "Re: meant outa" on 22:57:02 06/07/17 Wed

This link is from 2012 and shows the number of transfer students accepted at our schools each year. Obviously schools like Cornell, Columbia and Penn are far more likely to have more CC transfers than schools that accept far fewer transfers.

http://transferweb.com/stats/transfer-acceptance-rates/#.WTlBEusrLIU

Cornell runs a very successful wrestling program that greyshirts some of it's top recruits at Finger Lakes Community College before Cornell enrollment. The Finger Lakes wrestling club, which they all participate in, actually practices at Cornell's very high quality wrestling facility. It is so systematic and pervasive that it almost amounts to running a farm team. Other schools, likely all 8, park recruits in prep school for a year. There is nothing illegal or immoral about either of these practices. The key determinative is whether or not the student athlete ultimately qualifies under admission standards that control each schools athletic recruiting process.

Penn has been much more active in trying to attract community college students across the board as part of a broader attempt to diversify the student population. Many of them are a little older and had deferred college for financial, family or other immediate concerns.

Penn does occasionally end up with a athlete on a varsity team who transferred in from a community college. The most well known is Matt Maloney who left Vanderbilt mid year freshman year and parked himself at a CC in Philly prior to coming to Penn. In football we had a QB a couple years back named Olsen who came from a CC. He actually ended up helping us grind our way to an Ivy title that year stepping in for the often injured Billy Ragone during a very critical part of the year. I'm sure there are a couple others among the nearly 900 student athletes at Penn.

I posted these highlights of Robinson because they actually reveal a newbie that has an accurate arm and very good feet. Highlight films can be deceptive, but - they can also be revealing. Whether he turns out to be Penn's best option in the fall is yet to be seen and I certainly have no insight on that matter. But - I do have concern about replacing Alek and I felt a little better about our ability to fill some of the hole he left behind by watching those videos.

As for Saddlebrook, all I know is that they do play at a fairly high level, although their players are likely younger than the typical starter on an Ivy team. I also know that the community college system in California plays a far important role in the public sector of their higher educational system. So - all things being equal - I view it a net positive that at least one of our newbie QB candidates had this experience last year and, if I had some video of him playing there, I would have posted it.

I am aware that a couple years ago the Ivy Presidents voted to allow an extension of the transfer application dates for athletes. This is because our mandated dates are not in sync with normal transfer cycles and the requirement that athletes get releases before approaching
prospective new schools. I'm not sure what that new date is, but it's not the same date imposed on non athlete transfer candidates.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm sure the guy is decent

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:19:40 06/08/17 Thu

But playing Dartmouth early should not be viewed as a positive for Penn this season.

Assuming good health and good grades, we should have one the best secondaries and defensive lines in the league in 2017. That will not be an ideal situation for a QB starting his first league game.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: meant outa

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:33:53 06/08/17 Thu

Better Dartmouth than Princeton or Harvard :)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: meant outa

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:58 06/08/17 Thu

Actually Olson stepped in for the injured Keiffer Garton - not Ragone. My memory is slipping. He came to Penn from another Calif CC named Fullerton.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.