VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: A JC transfer to an Ivy seems unusual

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:29:33 06/08/17 Thu
In reply to: al's wingman 's message, "A JC transfer to an Ivy seems unusual" on 16:18:18 06/08/17 Thu

The league could probably create a good all-star team of football transfers in the past generation--including Bushnell winners.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Not at penn

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:45 06/08/17 Thu

Come on Asia you guys (meaning Penn) have had more impact transfers then any other program other than Yale in the last 20 yrs. As you just stated 2 in this years class. I still think you lead by pretty wide margin. Princeton the least, D has had a few transfers unfortunately very few impact. We will see if Fitzgerald is different. Long live the "Little Sicilian" who started the trend. I don't care if Robinson was initially recruited by Penn seems a bit sleazy he goes GA Dawgs then Saddlebrook CC then Penn that is a wide careening path that IMHO stinks

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dartmouth transfers off the top of my head...

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:58:09 06/08/17 Thu

Impact: Greg Smith (Alex Park would have made this list if Dalyn Williams hadn't come along).

Not bad: Robbie Anthony

Bust: Jerry Singleton, Julian Flamer

TBA: Jimmy Fitzgerald

I'm sure I'm forgetting others. Holtsie- can you help out?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: How could I forget?

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:24 06/08/17 Thu

Pete Oberle. Would have been an impact player if he hadn't suffered an ACL injury before the surgery really got good.

At worst, he was a "not bad."

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Not at penn

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:09:39 06/09/17 Fri

Holtsledge - not quite sure I understand your comment. I said clearly that Penn was active in the transfer market (although not very in the last 10 years) and that we had a few transfers that were impact transfers whom I'm sure Dartmouth would have grabbed in a second. The guys that come to mind in this century are Gavin Hoffmann, Sam Mathews and Cory Gedin (all pre 2007) and there also was a RB from Duke whose name escapes me, but he contributed back in that same period.

Since then I can think of only a couple - one being Olson the QB from a California JC and a kid from LaSalle which dropped its program, plus a QB from Colorado who is currently on the roster. The LaSalle kid wasn't an impact player but did play some on special teams. Other than that we haven't been major players in the transfer market in terms of football players.

Transfers actually need to get a written release and approach you. You don't actively recruit them. It helps to have tried to recruit them out of hs or to have a relationship with their hs coach. This year we have two coming in and they both look like they could contribute. One is the QB referenced in this thread and the other a kid who was at UConn who was a 3*** coming out of hs in New Jersey. But - nothing is for sure. We'll see how both do over the course of their careers. Hopefully they'll both contribute.

Lastly - I think your crack about the JC situation is a little unlike you. Robinson was recruited by Penn out of hs. We have 4 players from JSerra in SoCal on our squad which indicates a strong relationship with the respective staffs. When Robinson got his release from Georgia he was past the Ivy transfer deadline. So he spent a year at Saddlebrook. Had the deadline not past he would have been at Penn last year. It actually wasn't a bad thing for Penn and Robinson because Torgersen would have taken all the snaps in any case. But - he did consume a year of eligibilty at Saddlebrook.

Penn is the 2nd largest Ivy and we run a significant junior year abroad program that creates capacity to accommodate transfers. We take 200-250 each year and best guess is around 20 are athletes that are spread across various varsity teams.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Not at penn

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:09:55 06/09/17 Fri

Matt Rader should be on that list as well. Very good QB for Penn.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I wish this board had an "edit" feature

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:13:07 06/09/17 Fri

Matt Rader was the Duke guy.

*THESE* guys should be on the list.

http://www.pennathletics.com/news/football_adds_two_transfers_2016_06_27

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I wish this board had an "edit" feature

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:52:05 06/09/17 Fri

Yes - forgot Moskal whom I would categorize as an impact guy. Reader was not in this century but was also an impact transfer in the 90's. The Duke guy I was referring to was a RB. I think his last name started with a V

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I wish this board had an "edit" feature

Author:
jeff2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:50:55 06/09/17 Fri

there was a lineman from grand valley state who was pretty good.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I wish this board had an "edit" feature

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:33:22 06/09/17 Fri

You'd have to track that one down. i think it was back in the 90's but I kind of remember it happening. We also had a good DL come when Boston U folded their program in the 90's - Germano I think. We used to take 3 or 4 a year back then. A few were big contributors.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: I wish this board had an "edit" feature

Author:
WarriorII
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:13 06/09/17 Fri

Michael Pierce from Grandvalley state was outstanding. Second-team all Ivy. Great student too.. Class of 2005

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: was just getting cranky

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:14:04 06/09/17 Fri

remember I am dyspeptic

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: was just getting cranky

Author:
Diogenes (Holtsledge)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:30:40 06/10/17 Sat

Humorous, fair, balanced, unbalanced, kind, loyal and dyspeptic. A nice combo. Keep on keeping on. Cheers.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.