VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Notre Dame football: Malik Zaire didn't qualify to play Harvard football

Author:
al's wingman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:58:46 06/09/17 Fri
In reply to: Observer 's message, "Notre Dame football: Malik Zaire didn't qualify to play Harvard football" on 09:12:40 06/09/17 Fri

Give the kid a break. Who knows how Harvard ended up in the discussion, as unlikely it would be for him to land there. Harvard should be so lucky to have him even for a season.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: One-and-dunners make no sense for Harvard ...

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:11:21 06/09/17 Fri

... and Harvard definitely makes no sense for one-and-dunners.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: One-and-dunners make no sense for Harvard ...

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:15:37 06/09/17 Fri

Sure - Harvard doesn't take or respect slackers who have no intention of finishing their degrees in order to pursue highly-lucrative careers, like Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Harvard would prefer a **** star guy like THIS one:

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:36:36 06/09/17 Fri

http://247sports.com/Bolt/USC-others-have-offered-2018-four-star-43375958

[> [> [> [> Subject: Hardly slackers

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:02:24 06/09/17 Fri

And if Mohamed Bamba promised to donate a billion dollars to the school, I'd change my mind in a flash ... he's IN!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: And did you forget ....

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:06:51 06/09/17 Fri

That another Ivy League school, located in in the Home of the Hamburger, also made Mr. Bamba an offer of admission!

[> [> [> Subject: One and Done Basketball Recruits at Harvard

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:42:13 06/09/17 Fri

I agree with my eponymous poster "Observer."

Between Wendell Carter and Mohammed Bamba, Harvard took a very serious run at two one-and-done high school recruits this year.

When the AI was implemented in the early 80s, the motivation was to confine varsity athletic recruits to bona fide students who had academic qualifications comparable to the other students on campus. So the system mandated both a minimum AI floor and a target mean for each Ivy which its cumulative recruits had to meet.

No far-sighted League administrators in the early 80s saw fit to require that every athletic recruit had to be a bona fide student in the sense that he intended to actually work toward a degree for more than seven months.

Most one-and-done recruits do not even finish their freshman years. Most leave campus as soon as their teams are eliminated from the NCAA tournament.

Harvard has made and continues to make a mockery of Ivy academic requirements for basketball recruits. From recruiting Camden McRae who was a bona fide student but had no chance of playing intercollegiate basketball, to recruiting Carter and Bamba who have NBA-level skills but have no chance of being on campus for their sophomore years, Harvard continues to find new loopholes in the Ivy regulations and driving a truck through them.

Recruiting a basketball player who has no intention of being a student for more than one year should be a violation of Ivy academic rules.

If Harvard had successfully landed Carter and Bamba, the two most successful recruiters of one-and-done stars this cycle would have been John Calipari and Tommy Amaker. That's some company for an Ivy League college to keep.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One and Done Basketball Recruits at Harvard

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:25:30 06/22/17 Thu

Pretty sure, given my track record, I'm Comey here, and those throwing around baseless accusations about these high schoolers and the Harvard program are Trump. I do have information here. And I won't be sharing.

You can believe me or not, but the comments about the intentions of all involved here are way, way off base.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One and Done Basketball Recruits at Harvard. . . bad!

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:41:26 06/22/17 Thu

I'm not asking you to tell us your social security number or your debit card number. I'm saying that you accuse me of making "baseless accusations" which presumably you can refute with "information here." Well, what are you even talking about?

What subject are you referring to?

Who are my comments "way, way off base" about? Camden McRae? The guy who sweeps the floor at Lavietes?

Until you do anything other than saying others are wrong, "bad!" or conflicted without providing any contradictory evidence or even general background, you are the Trump character. See the connection, Donald?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One and Done Basketball Recruits at Harvard

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:38:44 06/22/17 Thu

I have some personal experience with Mr. Comey. I'm no Trump fan, but trust me, wrapping yourself in the Comey cloak is not an endorsement. And - seriously - I do have information here I won't be sharing.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One and Done Basketball Recruits at Harvard. . . National Security Is At Stake, Right?

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:22 06/22/17 Thu

Now this message board is getting awesome. Seriously, getting some personal scoop on Comey is fun.

I don't think that anybody here is wrapping themselves in the Comey cloak as much as they are accusing Trump of falsely accusing others of being wrong without providing any evidence whatsoever. That's not an endorsement of Comey.

What I most love is that we've got two posters here who say that they have confidential personal inside information that they won't share. One guy's information literally involves national security and should be treated as such. Meanwhile, the other guy is treating as a state secret something he claims to know about Harvard men's basketball recruiting. That is beautiful.

mrjames, get over yourself.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One and Done Basketball Recruits at Harvard. . . National Security Is At Stake, Right?

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:49:27 06/23/17 Fri

Sounds good. For those that want to know what's going on with Ivy basketball, I'm @ivybball on Twitter. I'll leave you folks to it.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: One-and-dunners make no sense for Harvard ...

Author:
mrjames
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:33:24 06/10/17 Sat

Lots of assumptions being made in this smearing of recruits by name. You're fans, and that's what fans do on internet message boards, but you look absolutely silly.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One-and-dunners make no sense for Harvard ...

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:52:04 06/10/17 Sat

I can't tell if you're replying to me because your post was not "attached" to mine in this thread. But if you are replying to me, I would welcome any correction of any statements that need modifying.

Your response is reminiscent of Donald Trump's performance in the Rose Garden yesterday: "Comey made false statements, Comey lied, Comey looks absolutely silly, Comey smeared these fine one-and-done high school recruits. But no, I can't provide an alternate narrative."

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: One-and-dunners make no sense for Harvard ...Tapes, Please

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:17:22 06/22/17 Thu

I wasn't being disingenuous or sarcastic. If I stated anything which is factually incorrect, I would welcome being corrected. I am genuinely interested in being accurate.

Please don't call me or other posters "silly" or declare that we are "smearing" student-athletes without the courtesy of providing facts behind your insinuations. Even Trump today admitted that he doesn't have any tapes of Comey. Do you have any tapes to share?

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Tapes is so 70s

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:41:19 06/22/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: More Observations

Author:
al's wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:53:11 06/09/17 Fri

one and done is bad for collegiate athletics as a whole. It is a mockery of everything higher education stands for. However, a grad student transfer isn't so bad a move for any program. Unless his master's is in basket weaving (an analogy my dad used to use) then why not. Case by case basis of course but grad students at least add something instead of the reverse one and done freshmen which takes away from your overall approach.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: More Observations

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:14:27 06/09/17 Fri

I certainly don't like the "one-and-dunn" deal, and further, I don't like red-shirting of any type, unless it clearly involves an injury. Ditto the Ivy patented dodge of farming out recruits for what is - really - a "red-shirt year at Choate etc. to fatten up before college.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: More Observations

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:32 06/09/17 Fri

Clearly Scalise and Murphy are fans of the "fatten up" before college approach to red shirting. As are other Ivy ADs and coaches. I have no problem with this type of "red shirting."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/11/20/playing-with-the-rules/

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: one and done

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:35 06/10/17 Sat

The NBA is expected to go back to the old model of players (like Lebron) going straight to the pros.

I believe that is right.
If these guys can play at that level, and the teams are will to pay them ... let 'em go.

The folly of going to college for one year (really 9 months) is silly.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: one and done

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:01:41 06/10/17 Sat

I agree.

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:22 06/11/17 Sun

There will be one and done players even if the NBA eliminates the age rule.

The allure of playing for Kentucky and Duke and getting national exposure as "the best of the best" rather than sitting on the bench in the pros will have some value for some players.

The college system enhances brand value because of the marketing machine behind high-level college sports. Carmelo Anthony's run to the national championship has made his entire career.

In addition, it is much more lucrative to be the 1st pick overall than the 12th, even if you have to wait a year. The risk of injury may be real, but for those who are not destitute, the waiting can pay off in a big way.

This may not happen immediately - lots of high schoolers will eschew college and then find themselves in the D-League toiling in anonymity while their less-touted peers play in the final four on national TV to high acclaim. Then it will find equilibrium...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Not so sanguine about equilibrium

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:17 06/12/17 Mon

Unfortunately many of these highly touted HS players will not look at the situation rationally. Not to rehash what has been already discussed ad nauseam, but many, possibly most, are being constantly pushed by family, friends and coaches who tell them they are better than they really are and see the quick meal ticket as preferable to a potential but uncertain possible longer term gain. I don't see that this pressure will end.

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:58:27 06/11/17 Sun

Some guys really are ready for the pros out of high school. Moses Malone and Lebron had muscular, developed physiques at age 18. Yet, Michael Jordan was still rather skinny after 3 years of college. It remains debatable how effective or NBA ready Jordan would have been without 3 years of college and U.S. national team prep.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Fact check

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:19:42 06/11/17 Sun

My recollection of Moses Malone did not go back far enough. He was a skinny guy when he came out of HS into the ABA.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/ABA/Players/M/Malone.Moses.htm

Kevin Garnett was skinny out of HS but evolved into a bully.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.