VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: More Observations

Author:
al's wingman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:53:11 06/09/17 Fri
In reply to: al's wingman 's message, "Re: Notre Dame football: Malik Zaire didn't qualify to play Harvard football" on 15:58:46 06/09/17 Fri

one and done is bad for collegiate athletics as a whole. It is a mockery of everything higher education stands for. However, a grad student transfer isn't so bad a move for any program. Unless his master's is in basket weaving (an analogy my dad used to use) then why not. Case by case basis of course but grad students at least add something instead of the reverse one and done freshmen which takes away from your overall approach.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: More Observations

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:14:27 06/09/17 Fri

I certainly don't like the "one-and-dunn" deal, and further, I don't like red-shirting of any type, unless it clearly involves an injury. Ditto the Ivy patented dodge of farming out recruits for what is - really - a "red-shirt year at Choate etc. to fatten up before college.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: More Observations

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:32 06/09/17 Fri

Clearly Scalise and Murphy are fans of the "fatten up" before college approach to red shirting. As are other Ivy ADs and coaches. I have no problem with this type of "red shirting."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/11/20/playing-with-the-rules/

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: one and done

Author:
ivy guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:35 06/10/17 Sat

The NBA is expected to go back to the old model of players (like Lebron) going straight to the pros.

I believe that is right.
If these guys can play at that level, and the teams are will to pay them ... let 'em go.

The folly of going to college for one year (really 9 months) is silly.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: one and done

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:01:41 06/10/17 Sat

I agree.

Author:
observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:22 06/11/17 Sun

There will be one and done players even if the NBA eliminates the age rule.

The allure of playing for Kentucky and Duke and getting national exposure as "the best of the best" rather than sitting on the bench in the pros will have some value for some players.

The college system enhances brand value because of the marketing machine behind high-level college sports. Carmelo Anthony's run to the national championship has made his entire career.

In addition, it is much more lucrative to be the 1st pick overall than the 12th, even if you have to wait a year. The risk of injury may be real, but for those who are not destitute, the waiting can pay off in a big way.

This may not happen immediately - lots of high schoolers will eschew college and then find themselves in the D-League toiling in anonymity while their less-touted peers play in the final four on national TV to high acclaim. Then it will find equilibrium...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Not so sanguine about equilibrium

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:17 06/12/17 Mon

Unfortunately many of these highly touted HS players will not look at the situation rationally. Not to rehash what has been already discussed ad nauseam, but many, possibly most, are being constantly pushed by family, friends and coaches who tell them they are better than they really are and see the quick meal ticket as preferable to a potential but uncertain possible longer term gain. I don't see that this pressure will end.

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:58:27 06/11/17 Sun

Some guys really are ready for the pros out of high school. Moses Malone and Lebron had muscular, developed physiques at age 18. Yet, Michael Jordan was still rather skinny after 3 years of college. It remains debatable how effective or NBA ready Jordan would have been without 3 years of college and U.S. national team prep.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Fact check

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:19:42 06/11/17 Sun

My recollection of Moses Malone did not go back far enough. He was a skinny guy when he came out of HS into the ABA.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/ABA/Players/M/Malone.Moses.htm

Kevin Garnett was skinny out of HS but evolved into a bully.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.