VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Kozol's "Death at an Early Age"

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:25:41 06/12/17 Mon
In reply to: Tod Howard Hawks 's message, "Kozol's "Death at an Early Age"" on 15:53:17 06/12/17 Mon

THH, I'd like to thank you for your heartfelt response earlier this thread about why you were at Andover. I hope that the first steps you took by going to Columbia were followed by many others.

I've thought about the inequities in local schooling myself. Of course it all hinges on the fundamental decision that we in the United States made that public schooling should be administered and funded purely on a local level. That one decision inevitably creates and sustains gigantic disparities across school districts.

The "business model" I see in affluent suburbs to literally price themselves out of the reach of poor people. With fewer low income families in town, the educational dollars available per student are maximized. The school districts become highly rated and more affluent people want to move there, so their kids can attend those schools. It's a "virtuous" cycle analogous to what the Ivies have created in higher education, with the conspicuous difference that the Ivies offer financial aid to lower income students.

The key to the Darien and New Canaan business model is to have a high quality of life which encourages empty nesters to stay in town after their children have graduated from school. The whole objective is to maximize property values and property taxes while keeping the number of school age children low.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Thanks, An Observer

Author:
Tod Howard Hawks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:12:00 06/12/17 Mon

Thanks, An Observer, for your kind and thoughtful post above.

It is regrettable that there isn't more civil discourse on this Board.

I think you nailed it: public schools are "...funded purely on a local level."

Kozol's "Savage Inequalities" speaks to this issue, but virtually nothing has been done nation-wide to ameliorate this problem.

My Dad paid for Andover and Columbia. I was a beneficiary of of this inequitable condition. I am pleased that all the Ivy schools now offer need-based financial aid.

I have been all my adult life a poet and a human-rights activist--my attempts to make my life meaningful and helpful to others.

I have not been able to change the world, let alone our nation, but every kind act reverberates throughout humankind, whether we know it or not.

Thanks again.

Tod Howard Hawks CC 66

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.