VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Drew Faust Stepping Down at in June 2018

Author:
An Observer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:30:20 06/14/17 Wed

Harvard president Drew Faust has announced that she will step down from her position at the end of the coming academic year, in June 2018.

How will that affect Harvard's recruiting in men's basketball?

I've always maintained that the aggressive recruiting seen under Tommy Amaker would not have been permitted under Larry Summers. Bob Scalise waited for the end of the Summers administration, then assessed Faust as somebody who would not interfere with his more ambitious goals in men's basketball than practiced under Frank Sullivan.

Summers out --> Sullivan out.

Faust in ---> Amaker in.

Harvard has a long tradition of choosing presidents who are very different from their immediate predecessor. Look at the highway driving from guardrail to guardrail in going from Derek Bok to Neil Rudenstine to Lawrence Summers to Drew Faust. A Harvard athletic director could get whiplash trying to keep up with their varying personalities.

If Tommy Amaker is ever going to move on from Harvard, this next coming season is the time. That is, get out while the getting is good under a totally laissez faire president, rather than taking his chances that the next president will be closer to a Larry Summers.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Horse manure

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:15 06/14/17 Wed

IMHO, with all due respect, the preceding post is all total hope manure.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Horse manure AND Hope manure

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:16:47 06/14/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Not a minute to soon, imho ....

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:33:13 06/14/17 Wed

Take a look at some of the initial comments on the story in the Harvard Crimson.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/6/15/faust-to-step-down-in-june-2018/

I think (hope!) these initial comments reflect majority current sentiment. Many will be happy to see her go ... and VERY happy to see Amaker, Murphy, et als stay.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Not a minute to soon, imho ....

Author:
Son of Eli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:17:04 06/14/17 Wed

Barack Obama is available.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Not a Yale man, I don't think.

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:58 06/14/17 Wed

Somebody came up with the idea of Mark Roosevelt. 2 Harvard degrees; suitably leftist and presumably likes basketball, since he had his picture taken at a Celtics game when he was running for Governor.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Not a minute to soon, imho ....

Author:
Franklin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:32:20 06/15/17 Thu

Gilpin Faust is similar to another favorite off-topic subject on this board, Jeff Immelt.

Both faced unique challenges because of the situations they inherited, Gilpin Faust the interest rate derivatives and other bad investments left over from Summers and Immelt the financial crisis and fraudulent accounting implemented under Welch.

Gilpin Faust and Immelt were both dealt challenging hands but now, as both are stepping down, their tenures will be viewed as failures, fairly or not.

[> [> Subject: Re: Horse manure

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:50:16 06/15/17 Thu

I think that you read more into my original post than I said. I did not express any "hope" that Amaker will leave this year. Indeed, I've said many times before that I think he will stay at Harvard for the rest of his career. It is a fantastic risk-adjusted return on his investment of his personal time. He is paid extraordinarily well and gets to work with fine young men on a stimulating campus, with almost zero pressure to win. He could not win another Ivy championship for a decade and not feel pressure. Staying at Harvard makes all the sense in the world as a good spot to be in the life graph of risk and return.

What I did say is that, if Amaker were ever to leave, this coming year would be an opportune time. The next Harvard president cannot be more accommodative than Drew Faust; he or she can only be more restrictive than her laissez faire style. If Harvard selects another old school leader in the manner of Larry Summers, then Bob Scalise will find his wings sharply clipped. Amaker may not want to operate in that environment.

[> [> [> Subject: Nay nay

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:17 06/15/17 Thu

Larry Summers was very pro sports, He loved getting down on the sideline at football games, sticking his nose in the huddle, and tossing the ball around.

[> Subject: Re: Drew Faust Stepping Down at in June 2018

Author:
Boston Lion
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:06:58 06/15/17 Thu

Even allowing for the general wombatishness of academics as a breed, Drew Faust is an exceptionally weak university president. H made a major misstep in hiring her.

She's shown no strength whatsoever in "dealing" with the Amaker shenanigans. Someone with more spine would have put his/her foot down a long time ago. Instead, she's presided absent-mindedly over the Penn Statization of H.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.