VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: not sure why

Author:
holtsledge
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:38:02 06/16/17 Fri
In reply to: sparman 's message, "Re: Returning to topic" on 20:27:06 06/12/17 Mon

they don't play Brunswick, as you said 15 mins away and NC plays them. I know one of the ass't coaches pretty well I will ask him

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Zena Edosomwan and Lacrosse at Landon

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:18:24 06/19/17 Mon

Sparman, I'm sure that it varies from private school to private school but, in general, they seem to have bought into the concept that, just like colleges do, they can use winning sports teams to advertise and market their academic institutions. So more and more of them are recruiting great athletes, some with remarkable aggressiveness.

Look at the journey of one of our most well known Ivy athletes, Zena Edosomwan. I don't mean to pick on him for any reason other than the fact that his personal story is so well known. By all accounts, he is a great young man, filled with intellectual curiosity and an engaged member of the community. The guy speaks Mandarin, for crying out loud. Now what are the odds he is recruited or admitted to Harvard Westlake School if he is 5'8" and Caucasian or, worse yet, Asian or Jewish?

Similarly, Northfield Mount Hermon fell all over itself to host Zena for a PG year after he did not clear the minimum AI score to be admitted to an Ivy. Again, he's a great prospect for any school, but if he's 5'8" and can't play basketball, does he get in? Does he get as much financial aid?

The same phenomenon takes place across other elite schools like Landon. And Landon places a special emphasis on lacrosse. So you tell me, if a kid like Zena can be admitted to and probably granted generous financial aid at prep schools ranging from Los Angeles to New England, what are the chances that Landon turns down a promising lacrosse prospect regardless of his grades or other qualifications?

These expensive elite private schools have turned into feeders to Division I and Division III lacrosse programs. Once you recruit on a national scale, the sky is the limit for how good you can become. Or, as MJ says, the ceiling is the roof.

A public high school is constrained to the kids who live in the school district. Even if it's a lacrosse hot bed like Baltimore or Long Island, that's a limiting factor. The only limiting factor at a school which recruits aggressively is its own ambition. Look at Harvard.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.